1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Help: Jeff's d+P+G(Devil Reverse Claw) nightmare

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Ealsen, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

I am in need of answer on my problem. This may have been mentioned on some older posts before but I couldn't find it.
    My opponent, who plays Jeff, keeps doing d+P+G(Devil Reverse Claw) when I am knocked down. He then continuously pressuring me with df,df+P+G or b,f,f+P+G or keep using normal attack that knocks me down such as b+P or d+K+G(MC) while i am staggered.

I had hard time struggling out this condition. I wiggle the stick and mash the button for a split second to recover then I inputed both throw escapes. But I had hard time to guess if the next moves aren't throws at all.

Is there a better solution? Recover as soon as possible from the staggering and d+P? Tried it but I didn't work, But then again I probably wasn't struggling hard enough.

2. Mason

Mason Member

One, hit P+K+G just as you land to get up quickly. The times that you cannot do this, just input the throw reversals and let go of P at the end of the sequence. That will guard strikes and reverse his throws. That strategy is in the training.

Mason

3. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

I use to have this problem months ago. Now i alway stick to these two methods.
    1) If the character you are using can reverse mid attacks esp knee and elbow, after Jeff picks u up, struggle -> reverse mid -> do df+p+g -> do f+p+g. You must do the reverse mid and double throw escape VERY QUICKLY.

2)Struggle -> tap u/d to dodge up/down -> do either df+p+g/f+p+g. You have input the throw escape immediately after you tap u/d. This is my preferred method as opponents may go for low attacks when you have little life left, plus you can setup for you own attacks.

4. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I did try 2 Escape throws and guard. But when I was staggered being picked up by Jeff, I was panicked, having to mash buttons and wiggling sticks(To struggle out) and enter two escape throws and guard kinda have a tough timing on it, don't you think ?

The dodge, escape throw is better method to ensure dodging high and low attack, but my opponent likes to mix up b,f,f+P+G and df, df+PG. And tough luck for me. I am a Shun player, No reversals =P

5. danny13

If you use shun then no worries at all! Just do the dodgeswipe(ub+p+k+g,p) and you'll avoid all his throws attempts and attacks. The drawback is you miss a chance to attack. About the stuggling, you actually have to stuggle a bit only. Just struggle a bit, stop and get ready to do shun's dodgeswipe. You can pm shun_05 to ask him for more help but he always does dodgeswipe whenever I use Jeff or wolf to pick him up.

6. danny13

Also, doing two throw escapes and then guard is not practical because while you are struggling, Jeff has to wait for you to struggle finish before he can throw you or elso he'll whiff his attempts. Doing Any throw escapes right after you struggle will cause to do whiff throw attempts, inviting your opponents to MC knee on you.

7. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

Ok. That's all clear to me now. Thanks for you help danny /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

8. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Shun's dodge swipe might be throw interruptable (i.e. Shun can get thrown in his dodge animation before the swipe), so it might not work. Let us know how it goes though.

9. Mason

Mason Member

Danny,

In the case you describe, Jeffrey has to be out of his opponent's throw range just as he finishes struggling. If he's that far away, I wouldn't bother inputting throw reversals either. I'd do a quick dodge, then buffer in some reversals. That way you don't whiff. If he's consistently crouch dashing in and waiting for you to finish struggling, low throw.

Of course, all I have is theory. Practical application is coming. Slowly.

Mason

10. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

Is it possible to buffer throw escape while Shun's doing dodge swipe because I did see my dodge-swipe getting throw-interrupted.

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

In theory, you can buffer throw escapes anywhere, but the timing will be tough, seeing as how the dodge swipe itself has two command inputs.

12. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

Shun's dodge swipe might be throw interruptable (i.e. Shun can get thrown in his dodge animation before the swipe), so it might not work. Let us know how it goes though.

I'm pretty sure that its not throw interruptable.

13. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

Actually you're right. Now I am confused because I actually remember both situation.

This is just my thought, If Shun does dodge(db or ub+P+K+G) without swipe, it is then throw interruptable.
    However, If Shun execute dodge-swipe that is db or ub+P+K+G, P, It is not throw interruptable.

Again this is just a thought I don't know this for sure, I haven't tested out yet.

14. danny13

Haha. I know how you feel every time you pick up shun_05 and all he does is the dodgeswipe to escape all your attempts. However, i did throw him before halfway while he was doing the dodgeswipe(confirm not just the dodge only but with the swipe). Anyway that was like 3 in 10 attempts? So Ealsen, its still safe to do dodgeswipe.

15. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

Re: Help: Jeff's d+P+G(Devil Reverse Claw) nightma

Your right about the dodge-swipe, its a rather safe bet as its VERY difficult to be consistent with IT.
    Though when you get the yomi timing down things like Akira's DJK can be IT with some regularity.

16. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

Heh...ya lor, pick him up also can't do much. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif
    Actually, I "broke" the dodge swipe thing with a throw before oso, but I crouch dashed prior to the throw, so its different.
    I think Shun will move out of throw range after the special dodge, so unless you dash in, its almost impossible to throw him.

17. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

Alright it's all cool. Thanks for the help guys /versus/images/icons/smile.gif