1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Help Keep VFDC Running

Discussion in 'Site News, Questions and Feedback' started by Myke, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Jay David

Jay David Well-Known Member

I'll donate what I can as soon as the option is available. I've been using this site and its resources for years, I want it to be around when I'm an old fart!

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Guys, thank you for the suggestions. It seems like the best way forward is to set up some kind of donation system, so I think I'll make that my next priority.

One thing to understand in regard to the content breaches is that Google recently changed it's policies. What may have been permissible in the past, is no longer so. For example, there were many images posted in a DOA related thread that were flagged as breaching the sexual content policy. To illustrate how ridiculous the policy has now become, a simple image of a female dressed in a bikini could be deemed as a breach, and we all know what DOA's in game screenshots are like.

Another high contender for the breach was the amount of inappropriate language, especially language that was deemed as hate speech, racially discriminating, and/or explicit sexual references. I don't need to spell out where and why this is happening within a Fighting Game community forum, but once again, the policies became more strict on this subject.

Ultimately, it was practically impossible to transform this site into something that was PG related just to satisfy Google's AdSense policies, so for now I'm deciding to ditch that option.

Hopefully if enough can help just a couple of bucks (the price of a coffee, or beer) per month then we should be OK!

Ellis and Unicorn like this.
  3. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    Hey Myke,

I'll be able to chip in soon if you can open a donation account through PayPal.

Kruza

4. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Why not just ditch Google AdSense if it's so shitty? Oops, probably violated their rules right there!

5. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Tocuh and Libertine like this.
  6. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I'm pretty broke atm but if a donation option comes up I could stick a few £ in each month. I'm not on VFDC as much as I used to be but it's important to me and I'd hate to see it go.

Pai~Chun likes this.
  7. mfwebdude

mfwebdude Well-Known Member

PSN:
    x_Reikan_x
    count me in for donation as well.

8. MDSPrime

MDSPrime Grappler & Part time Ninja

XBL:
    Pilchard LoveR
  9. Zass

Zass Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Zass30
    Have you reached out to Sega America to see if they will help support the site?

Pai~Chun likes this.
  10. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Zass, I have in the past and their answer was no. I have not tried again since.

11. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Did you honestly expect something from Sega like supporting western VF?

I think the donation thing via PayPal is best at this point, I mean if it's only $100 a month then if at least a handful of people here donate like $10 every now and then it should be enough to cover the costs if you're willing to pay a little bit out of your own pocket too. I could chip in with a few euros a month, won't kill my business.

Another option could be to sell some kind of VFDC merch, like shirts or something, but I'm thinking that with the current low userbase this site has you'd probably just end up losing more money printing them, or atleast would have to sell them for a lot to even break even. Then there could be a licensing issue with Sega if you use their VF trademark for commercial purposes.

12. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

10$ per month is a lot. Don't expect something more than 1$ per user each month.
    But even 1$ per month should cover a good part of the expenses for the platform.

13. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    +1 for donations. I'd prefer to just pay a bigger amount once per year though. It should be a reasonable goal to get 60 people to pay 20$ so we have the whole year covered, right?

14. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

Well, let's make a button with an open donation. People should decide how much give for the cause.

15. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    The PayPal donation system gives the user the option on how much a user wants to donate plus allows the user to chip in as often as he/she likes. It's a good setup. There aren't many convenient yet more secure money account sites than this one over the internet.

Kruza

Ellis likes this.
  16. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

17. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    I will commit to an annual contribution maybe something like 1/12 of the annual cost of site (whatever it happens to grow to or shrink to) and if more is needed I'll step up.

But I don't think we should censor VFDC beyond what its members and moderators truly want censored. Part of the appeal of a site like VFDC is the freedom that is enjoyed on the site. If sponsors (out side of the VFDC community) start dictating what will and will not appear on VFDC that would be a dark day (a very dark day). IMO VFDC is a international FG treasure and deserves its place in history along side VF the game. It should be Google's and anybody else's pleasure to sponsor us and they should consider it a privilege that we allow them to display their adds on our site at any cost. The last thing we should be concerned about is kotowing for some damn add money.

Viva La VFDC

18. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    I can put some money up. It also might be a good idea to open a VFDC store and sell VFDC shirts and maybe even VFDC arcade sticks, if u can talk to the right people

Jay David and mfwebdude like this.
  19. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Merch would be really cool, have you seen how few VF shirts are in existence? Having said that, it would need to be really abstract to avoid Sega crawling out of their office with a cease and desist.

I would also be up for making a donation, the world needs VFDC.

20. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Very Good! Along those lines this may sound a little over the top (I always do)

But what about starting a non-profit org: something like a VFDC society that has members and officers (elections etc) who will pay annual membership dues and then the society would be responsible for running and maintaining VFDC so that the financial and maintenance burden of the website will never again be on a single individual. The VFDC society in addition to maintaining the VFDC website could sponsor/hold annual events. Sell Merchandise, etc. Maybe the organization could have as part of a mission and vision statement

1) The promotion and preservation of the Virtua Fighter Series
    2) The maintenance and support of VFDC
    3) Keepers of the official history of Virtua Fighter (maybe history of all 3D fighting games)
    4) Maintain, designate the official international standards for FG Ranks
    5) Hold an annual international VF tournament
    6) Produce a semi-annual original VF Anime/Evolve the VF Story and Characters
    7) Offer the annual Virtua Fighter of the Year award Trophy to some excellent player

A VFDC or Virtua Fighter Society might sound a bit extreme, but it would insure all future interest in the game, its folklore, its community and its history.

Annual Membership dues could pay for the website easily. Come up with things
    that we could offer members as premiums: e.g.

T-Shirts
    Annual VFDC Calendar
    Membership Card
    Polished Digital Video Versions of Past Year's Tournaments( and Highlights)
    VF Sticks
    etc.

Based on the trajectory of the fighting game genre I thinks something like the Virtua Fighter Society or the VFDC Society is just what the doctor ordered.