1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Help me! I'm getting schooled...need tips to fight better...

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by clash103, Apr 4, 2002.

1. clash103

clash103 Member

I'm a n00b to the Virtua Fighter series, but I LOVE VF4. Problem is...I keep getting destroyed by my buddies when we play. They are also n00bs to VF. They are able to string together long combos and the like...and I just can't coutner them. Is there any website that "teaches" you how to fight? Also, I never have time to execute any of my moves correctly...

Thanks in advance.

-Clash

2. clash103

clash103 Member

So there is no such resource?

-Clash

3. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Trial Training can work wonders... Just go under "training" in game, and then "Trial", and give it all a run through.

4. chingdude

chingdude Well-Known Member

hey dude!~

it sounds like you might need to work on your defensive abilities. first, find out which moves you have the most difficulty against; maybe recording replays of your lossed matches will help identify those. then study the respective properties (hit level etc) and frame stats included with the <a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showflat.php?Board=News&Number=30076>VF4 version C movelists</a> for those particular moves and deduce what the appropriate counters are for them upon being succesfully blocked.

for example, if a move leaves the attacker at 8 frames of disadvantage ("-8") or more when guarded, the defender can respond with a regular throw of his/her choice before the attacker can do anything, as throws execute in 8 frames. some moves recover slower than that and you might be able to respond with a canned combo or a launcher and float combo for greater damage than your strongest throw... compare the execution length of the canned combo/launcher with the recovery length of a defended move to see if there is enough time to do so. conversely, some moves ("uncounterables") recover fast enough that you aren't guaranteed any counter after blocking them. good players will use these safe moves often and in such situations you are best off simply blocking, evading, or interrupting their next move depending upon what you think is the prudent response. btw, countering a blocked move is called minor countering in vf parlance and is a fundamental part of the game.

now use the practice mode: from within free practice you can program the cpu dummy to perform any of the moves you know you suck against and practice blocking and minor countering them until you reach the point of exhaustion! this is basic stuff, but it will really improve your game immeasurably, later you can go through the trial mode excercises to learn more advanced stuff such as how to properly interrupt, evade, escape throws, etc so you can eventually incorporate those techniques into your repetoire.

/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Typhoon

Typhoon Well-Known Member

May seem like a copout answer, but beyond any training facilities at your disposal, EXPERIENCE is the key. Keep playing because you like it... not because you're getting trounced. The biggest breakthrough I've made recently is learning the basics for all characters. By knowing what their attacks look like and how they function (reach, threat, risk, etc.) I am better able to defend or retalliate appropriately.
    When everything tossed at you comes out looking like a flurry of random movements, you are definately a newcomer. When you begin to recognize moves and know what the next portion of the combo or flow is, you can react better with a guard, counter or reversal. Of course this requires a bit of dedication getting to know the moves of all the characters, but it will pay off.
    And never neglect your jabs.

6. clash103

clash103 Member

Thanks a LOT guys...I really wasn't expecting much from this post (based on past experiences on game-related sites). I'm just renting the game now...but I'm definitely going to buy it tomorrow. As a total newbie to fighting games...I'm learning a lot. I'm going to do those training exercises, and just work on guarding and defending...as opposed to attacking.

In response to the last poster: Yes, those volleys do look like a flurry to me...yes, I am a newbie /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Ah well, at least I'm having fun getting beaten...more than I could say for most other games.

-Clash