1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Help me pick who's next.

Discussion in 'Quest, Kumite and Items' started by axeman61, Jul 19, 2004.

1. axeman61

axeman61 Member

In Quest, I've gone a long way with Kage (10th Dan), but it's getting more difficult and I can't really think of any spectacular outfits for him which would match my taste.
    Which is why I'm thinking of starting out with another character. I'll start based on who gets the most votes here. You have to judge the characters I'm considering on who has the best outfit potential; that's all I'm looking for.
    These are my candidates:
    A. Lei-Fei
    B.Lau
    C.Jacky
    D.Goh
    E.Akira

2. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

DOUBLE YOU TEE EFF man... pick NE-BODY.

3. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

If you can't get past 10 dan in Quest (with Kage x_x), I'm afraid there's no hope for you. You should go find another game. I recommend something you can mash, like tekken, soul calibur, dead or alive, or any 2D fighting game.

4. IamthePope

IamthePope Well-Known Member

try playing a character that will force you to learn how to block and time your attacks. I started using Wolf since throws are unblockable. Another good choice would be Aoi, Jeffry or Goh. with these Characters you'll have to learn defend

note: wait on playing Akira, while he is a powerhouse of a character, he is extremely difficult to use. I've played 300 matches with him and I still can't do his SPoD attack in combat

5. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Well, you haven't actually stated what your taste is like so I can't tell which accesories you should strive to obtain. I personally think Kage has some of the better items in the game and if your at 10th dan I doubt if you have received all of his stuff.

You can take a look at all of the items for characters from links to the item faqs @ http://virtuafighter.com/view.php?section=vf4&file=vf4evo_items_faq.html

But to answer your question for coolness factor as far as items are considered. I'd go with Goh, Akira and Jacky. Have fun.

6. axeman61

axeman61 Member

[ QUOTE ]
    GLC said:

If you can't get past 10 dan in Quest (with Kage x_x), I'm afraid there's no hope for you. You should go find another game. I recommend something you can mash, like tekken, soul calibur, dead or alive, or any 2D fighting game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh wow, you act as if it should be that easy. I can't time myself to do a good throw escape to save my life, and do you know how annoying Wolf can get when I can't do that? I swear to god, those throws are the only thing putting me down. Unless we're talking about Akira. Not to mention that I don't know that many combos with Kage (compared to the boatload that x_x would imply).
    While you feel like insulting me on finding difficulty right now, I want to ask you a semi-serious question: Does a superior ranking make your lesser-ranked opponents weaker? I could almost swear that it does. I've noticed that I'm able to kick a 6th Dan's ass now, and he/she isn't putting up as much fight as they used to before I got past that ranking.

7. KTallguy

KTallguy Well-Known Member

I would really encourage you to go through training with the characters. You can learn Kage combos through the Tactics Advance mode, and you can go through basic training to get the throw timing down.

VF is one of those rare fighting games that actually teaches you how to be a good player. If you practice combos and timing, you'll get better. Don't be discouraged, and don't listen to flamers. Just play and have a good time. Try to find other players in your area if you really want to improve though, you'll find that you'll become exponentially better as time goes on.

If you're really into the costume thing, you might as well just hack the game with gameshark and give yourself everything.

8. Cruz

Cruz Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    axeman61 said:

In Quest, I've gone a long way with Kage (10th Dan), but it's getting more difficult and I can't really think of any spectacular outfits for him which would match my taste.
    Which is why I'm thinking of starting out with another character. I'll start based on who gets the most votes here. You have to judge the characters I'm considering on who has the best outfit potential; that's all I'm looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Are you playing on the "Standard" or the "Beginner" mode?

9. axeman61

axeman61 Member

I'm on standard.

Also:

If you're really into the costume thing, you might as well just hack the game with gameshark and give yourself everything.

Er... I haven't found any codes.

10. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

play akira, it forces you to be better.

11. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    vanity said:

play akira, it forces you to be better.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? It has not done anything like that to me yet. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12. Valdimiar

Valdimiar Well-Known Member

Prehaps because his moves are harder or somthing, dunno, I doubt it forces to be a massivly improved player though

13. sekaijin

sekaijin Well-Known Member

PSN:
    so__it__goes
    XBL:
    sekaijin usa
    I suggest, first and foremost, to do the training. Throws are an inescapable part of the game, and yet they are breakable.

That said, maybe you should pick a character that does not have a lot of moves that are throwable on block. Or use those moves with Kage less.

You will find your understanding of VF comes in phases, right when you think you know it all you will keep finding new stuff. Welcome aboard.

14. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

I don't know, it was weird. After getting my ass handed to me so many times by CPU Akira, I tried to use him. He just forces you to learn how to utilize crouch dashing properly, something I rarely did before.

I mean, I'm not god with Akira, but I am pretty good. But after I really dedicated my game to learning Akira, my other character games improved greatly. And now I am pretty much a 50/50 Akira/Kage player.

Really, it's hard to explain. When you play only the other characters, you can sometimes press buttons and have no idea wtf you're doing and get away with it (ie me playing vanessa). But when you're akira, you learn situational moves a lot better.

Sorry for rambling.

/versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

15. Shaolin_Hopper

Shaolin_Hopper Well-Known Member

In terms of 'tiering', the five you mentioned probably go Akira-Jacky-Lau-Goh-LeiFei. However, in terms of picking a character to play as your second character, I'd rank them as Jacky-Lau-Akira-Goh-LeiFei

Jacky is probably the best character in your list for 'reward vs effort'. He's easy, has some nice nice moves, and no glaring weaknesses aside from his annoying 'YEAAAAAAHHHHH!' after 2/3 of his moves.

Lau would be a close second to Jacky, IMO, but he doesn't quite have a comparable arsenal of excellent moves, and has a high amount of punch based attacks, which means you're easier to be sabaki'd.

Akira probably has the steepest 'reward vs effort' curve. He has one glaring problem - almost zippo in the circular attack department. His moves can be a pain to execute as well, especially if you have a bad controller. Plan on breaking at least one controller trying to learn him, because it will most likely bounce off a wall a few times. "GODDAMIT, I CROUCH DASHED!" Not having circular attacks may not seem like a big disadvantage, but at the higher AI levels it stands out pretty bad.

Goh's funky. He's like a weaker Akira with a bit of Jeffry thrown in. His strength lies in his frame advantages and staggers, and taking advantage of the guessing games you can set up from them. He's much more of a technical tactics character, as opposed to Akira's technical inputs and devastating elbow-down-the-pipe rushes of doom.

Lei can be a frustrating character to play, until you get used to being in stances, flowing from stance to stance, which moves sabaki which type of moves from which stances, which moves to use when in XXX situation from YYY stance, and what to watch out for when you're in YYY stance since you can't block or evade. He can't poke very well (worst jab in the game), and he has trouble at close range. He probably is the hardest character to get 'basic' proficiency with. On the up side, he has some very simple high damage combos. The reason I don't list him above Goh and Akira is because my evade game really suffered with Lei Fei, since I spent 60% of my time in stances or using stance attacks during the match, and you need to have a good evade game for the higher AIs.

As far as owning 6th dan, it's not that the AI is stupider, it's that you're a better player and you're doing things the lower AIs aren't designed to compensate for. Until you get to a certain level (around 8th dan or so, if I remember correctly), AIs don't really evade very well. Your rushes are better orchestrated to punish opponents who don't evade, and you know better how to punish certain moves for certain characters. All of that makes lower level AIs look like wimps after you've been playing better competition for a week. It's like playing Chibita (excellent player) in person for a week nonstop, and then going back home and playing your brother. You've been exposed to much harder competition.

16. xLeo

xLeo Member

Actually, you should try Vanessa for a while. Akira is not that hard to use, just make sure you do every training exercise and practice his SPoD and AS3 in spare time. Just these 2 are fine until 10th Dan.

17. lordmegadeth

lordmegadeth New Member

18. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Jacky is probably the best character in your list for 'reward vs effort'. He's easy, has some nice nice moves, and no glaring weaknesses aside from his annoying 'YEAAAAAAHHHHH!' after 2/3 of his moves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to point out some things that I feel are very important to realize about Jacky:

1) Great character to start out with if you're a beginner to the VF series because of his easy execution (evo and FT) and has generally good damage options (mainly in evo since so far I believe his play style has changed noticably in FT)

2) Suitable to those that prefer an offensive style vs a defensive one.

3) Becomes considerably difficult to play vs high level opponents because of his relatively simple moveset and popularity. (everyone's seen a Jacky player and knows when you want to 64p+g/6p kkthannxxxgg)

4) Shang sucks.

19. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

shaolin hopper is nuts

Maybe you need to learn the even more basic fundamental of blocking? Stances can be used to bait , high risk moves, GUARD CANCEL, then block or sidestep, or if you're back turned walk away. Depends on how you read your opponent.

on his punches, ya it sucks if you're a jab throw whore
    thats where [P][P] comes in
    HIGH mid
    +1 block
    +4 normal hit

lei plays different, so think differently
    but ya, leis a hard character to learn the fundamentals of the game with, but one of the more fun characters to play.