1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

help me (stick question[s])

Discussion in 'Console' started by vapulus, Jun 13, 2002.

1. vapulus

vapulus Member

Hey, guys. I can pull off things like the sPod about 75% or so using the dpad, and double-tapping diagonals seems to be the only thing that's nearly impossible to do consistently using the dual-shock controller. Will re-learning to play on an arcade still really help me with things like this? Is it really easier to play on a stick once you get used to it? It won't effect my Stormlord Lion, but I could see where it would really help some other characters.

On top of that, is the HORI VF really better than the HORI Tekken 4 stick in any way? I'd like to be able to play both using the same stick (if I ever decide to get tekken 4 for my friends). ...or any other random fighting game, for that matter. So, it seems the more economical alternative to just use the tekken 4 stick for its 6 buttons. Thanks, in advance, for any help!

2. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

Switching to a stick can be a weird transition but once you get comfortable with the stick then you'll find out that you can perform things that you couldn't do on the d-pad. So it will actually help your game with lion. You can get good with the d-pad up until a certain extent but if you wanna get really good at VF4 or any fighting game for that matter, the stick is the only way to go.

I've never played those sticks but I have the Namco stick which everyone says is the best stick for a console. So I can only recommend getting that stick since I've never used those other two sticks. Good luck finding one though, they've stopped making them in 1996, Although Ebay has had few recently.

3. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

i agree with highkings comment about sticks, it does feel wierd at first but when you get used to it moves becomes relatively easier, another thing i dont know if anyone will agree, but when i got used to the a joystick, and tried using a dpad just for the hell of it my dpad handling somehow improved.

4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Just one argument towards pads (but I'm a stick person)

First off, I'm a BIG ADVOCATE for sticks in VF. Not surprising to many, but it should be mentioned here.

However, as far as VF3tb on DC went, there was ONE benefit to using the pad (which doesn't match up to the billions of reasons to use a stick on that game on DC). That reason was...

SHINSODAN! AKA Kage's Sonic-rolls, buzz saw, whatever you wanted to call it. Oddly enough, as hard as it is for people to nail on sticks in general, it's easy as hell to nail on the DC pad.

Using the shinsodan wasn't a big deal in VF3tb imo since it could easily be beaten, EXCEPT when it was used in the oh-so-cheezy manner of doing it backwards on Wolf's desert stage. Among the ultimate of machi tactics...

But that's one reason to use pad over stick.

-Chanchai

Note: Shinsodan commands (excuse to mess with new buttons)
    [6][3][2][1][4][1][2][3][6]+[P] --> [4][1][2][3][6]+[P] --> repeat HCF+P motion for as much as you want.