1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed for Emergency Lau FAQ

Discussion in 'Lau' started by Hyun, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Hyun

Hyun Well-Known Member

Okay, I know the version that's up has many embarrassing typos and what not. I will release another revision soon. But I need help on one thing (at least)

Can you tell me what you know about lifting knife, super knife string (FC, d/f+P, P+K)? I wrote down what I knew about this move in VF3, but don't know much about the move's property in VF4.

In the next revision I will mention something about urawamari and jostick motion for doing instant lifting knife. Anything else you can think of, post away.

2. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

The double knife combo is D,df+P,df+P+K. It's nowhere near as powerful as in VF3, and doesn't even guarantee a df+PPPd+K like the normal superknife. Its primary use is for low float combos (standard one: b,f+P, d+P, df+P,df+P+K), and if you can get an MC, IIRC a Pb+PP is a safe bet.

3. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

upkn, d/f+PK canned combo seems guaranteed on major counter if it floats and major counter if the upkn hits without floating (which I think happens if you MC a punch, the damage isn't high enough to get a float. Or maybe it's hard to interrupt a punch on exactly the right frame. Or maybe the punch always beats the upknife. Anyway). On minor counter I think the D/F+P, D/F+PK combo is guaranteed.
    If the second punch hits a crouching opponent, except on MC, it doesn't seem to float high enough for PPP type combos. It's typical for lau to do D/F+P and the opponent crouches and guards... gets hit by the d/f+PK... but then there isn't much reward for lau. Not even a stomp if they TR.
    A nice theory to try out: since lau can do a canned crescent or sweep after any punch, it's possible you can do D/F+P, D/F+PK and then d+K+G, and the d+K+G may execute slightly faster than usual. It may catch a TR in the above situation. Never tried it.

one last bit, the string is useful in the (closed stance?) combo
    u+K (MC) --> b,f+P --> d+P --> D/F+P,d/f+PK.

4. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

Nice FAQ. Some extra points to consider.

B,f+p is guaranteed after a fully charged p+k is blocked.
    F+p+k can stagger(if opponent crouches) in ver.C, it will beat most high attacks(don't know about special highs though) and some mids like side kicks.
    Don't think d+p+k can interrupt elbows, it beats punches every single time for me though(even when Lau has a frame disadvantage).
    B,b+p--> d+p is no longer "canned" in Ver.C, its entirely possible to interrupt(with a fast move) Lau out of his d+p after blocking b,b+p. Not "safe" anymore.

5. Hyun

Hyun Well-Known Member

Thanks for the inputs guys

New revision will be done today hopefully. . . One thing I would still like to clarify: I know in VF3 if D/F+P interrupted things like punch it didn't float, but the followup superknife was guarranteed. Is it the case for VF4 as well? Does VF4 have same MC characteristics?

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Re: Thanks for the inputs guys

yeh. read my other post.

7. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

> which I think happens if you MC a punch, the damage isn't high enough to get a float

this doesn't happen in VF4 - MC damage is always consistent, a la VF1/2.

in VF4, the upkn will either float on MC (for any move) or it won't. i can't answer that, though.

8. Hyun

Hyun Well-Known Member

Hmm, no offense but it seems we have a conlfict between what people have to say about MC property in VF4. I think I will just say use this move for juggle finish. In anycase it seems like you can't do bb+P,d+PPPd+K off this move like VF3 anyway.

9. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

it's not a conflict - it's documented fact. vf4 went back to the vf1/2 formula of major counters, which is +50% damage of the interrupting move (ie 30 point knee will get you 45 points no matter what you MC). in vf3 it was +50% of the move you interrupted - a knee MC'ing Kage's punch would only net you 35 points.

10. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Hyun...u might wannt add that Lau can be low thrown while charging the double palm~

Oops...I just found out that is a 'CPU miracle' move!

CPU in training can Low throw me...but I cannot seem to Low throw a CPU charging double palm Lau.