1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Help on Reversal (Akira)

Discussion in 'Akira' started by strangelove, Jan 26, 2002.

1. strangelove

strangelove Active Member

Does Someone has any advice concerning Reversal mastering ? I've been trying to integrate it into my games without much success latelly.i understand that most of it comes from anticipation and attack pattern but still i cant really get it right...just how late can you enter the moves ?
    basicly there 4 different level of reversal (High-Mid-low-special low) . probability wise i assumed your best guest is "df,p+k"
    since it reverse mid,flip,and knees...but whats your opinion/advice ?
    thanks for helping

"Fight till you die" ~Strangelove

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

probability wise i assumed your best guest is "df,p+k"
    since it reverse mid,flip,and knees...but whats your opinion/advice ?

You may be having trouble because the reversal command is d/b+P+K, not d/f.

3. LAU Abuser

LAU Abuser Well-Known Member

Regarding the 'just how late can you enter the moves ?', the reversal of your choice shd be entered b4 u even 'see' the move of your opponent... but i'm not saying that u must enter u'r reversal command way early...

For a start, there are generally 2 types of recovering kicks your 'downed' oppo has... 1.Middle and 2. Low. Reverse d/b+P+K and d+P+K respectively. i feel that you can start off reversing these kicks for practice. Its pretty easy.

Low punches, low kicks: d+P+K.
    Elbows(f+P), mid kicks(d/f+K) and knees(f+K): d/b+P+K
    All high attacks: b+P+K.
    Some attacks are cannot be reverse. E.g. Akiras b,f,f+P+K, QCB+P... ...

<font color=orange>its pretty risky to reverse knees as most knees are 'floaters' and the strings of attacks add up to more than the reversal's damage</font color=orange>. U can alternatively use dodge(up or down [release]) to evade most attacks except 'roundhouse' attacks.

Hope i'm much help to your concern...

4. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

STOP GIVING BAD INFO~!

U can only reverse linear rising attacks...
    N dun tell me u're sure/unsure/maybe that u've seen other sorts of rising attacks being reversed!

Get ur facts straight before u go running off giving wrong info again.

5. LAU Abuser

Which part of my reply was wrong? U got to point it out to me.

6. strangelove

strangelove Active Member

Thanks for replying...

to CreeD: sorry but that was a typo you freak >_<
    to anyone: can we resume by saying that
    most 2limp attack can't be blocked ?
    thx

7. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

Lau abuser, akira cannot reverse rising kicks for all characters except his own or when the other characters lies in face up feet away/face down head away in which case you can only reverse the mid rising kick. The only character that can reverse all rising kicks is Aoi.

8. oldtimer

oldtimer Well-Known Member

me 2 cents.. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

If you're playing against a character with a heavy high punch game, eg, Lau, Lei Fei ... a safe bet would be high reversals.

In general tho' you're right about mid reversals as a good bet if its a 'guessing game'. However against a rigid Sarah player who likes to elbow-knee alot, reversals can actually win you the match. And to a certain extent, this will also apply to Kage.

For timing practice, start reversing the third or fourth attack of a combo. A good rule of thumb is input the reversal command the moment the opponent 'twiches'. Bear in mind that reversals work best when you're in throwing range of the opponent.

I generally don't incorporate reversals in me game unless
    a) I'm pretty familar with my opponents' play patterns
    b) I wanna score style points with myself and feel good

Risk vs reward t'is your call.

Hope this post will be helpful to you =)

9. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

I think there was some rumor floating aroung last time that d/b reversasls now reverse both high and mid moves. That is NOT true. right??

10. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

NOT TRUE
    NOT TRUE
    NOT TRUE

N This my fellow VFer...is a fact.

11. danny13

Kage has a B,F+k/F,B+K that can be avoided by crouching but reversed by db+P+K. Jacky's SS,K can be avoided by crouching but reversed by db+P+K too. Any thoughts maybe these started the whole rumour?

12. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

laff, I got the typo. One common mistake when trying to reverse attacks is to attempt to reverse a high punch when your opponent is doing a PPP type of attack and you're blocking the punches. It's tough-to-impossible to block one or two punches and then reverse the third in a 3-punch-series ... even if you see it coming a mile away.

To warm up and get yourself confident at reversals, two situations where reversals work really well.

1. After you are knocked down and get up with a rising attack, and the rising attack is blocked. Do a d/b+P+K (and if you did a high rising attack, you can do a reversal immediately followed by a throw escape)

2. After f,f,f+P is blocked. Mid reversals work very well until your opponent catches on and starts with strong high or low attacks. Then you can try other effective techniques like f,f,f+P (blocked) ---> b,f,f+P+K (hits for a lot of damage).

13. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I'll tell u why it's all wrong
    Jacky's SS K hits MID!

Moves that hit high can only be reversed by b+p+k
    Mid reversed by d/b+p+k
    Low reversed by d+p+k

Case closed...end of story..no more ' but I hear..but I swear etc etc etc' comments...no more confusions.

14. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

I'm just posting this to back up summers -- I heard that rumour as well and it's definitely not correct.

grib.

15. LAU Abuser

<font color=orange>Lau abuser, akira cannot reverse rising kicks for all characters except his own or when the other characters lies in face up feet away/face down head away in which case you can only reverse the mid rising kick. The only character that can reverse all rising kicks is Aoi.</font color=orange>

Sorry abt my reply to strange love... I see that this fellow is a beginner thats why i gave him a general advice... we dun start off advicing a beginner on 'profound' techniques coz this tends to confuse and dissuade him/her to try out this topic of reversals. I believe that we start off wif simple techniques and slowly move on to advance playing after a few games. If strange love can start off doing a few reversals, this would be a great satisfaction. To start of reversing rising kicks can be a good practice as there are only 2 types. If i advice strange love to start off reversing 'hands on combat' that would be generally low,mid,high. The chances of getting a successful reversal is 1/3 (not considering the timing of command for his reversals).

16. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Listen carefully U !

No one's saying u shouldn't help him.
    WHAT WE R TRYING TO GET U TO UNDERSTAND IS U GAVE HIM THE WRONG INFO!

Are u really that THICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

Just like to add that some mid-level attacks are actually reversed high(b+p+k).

18. danny13

It hits mid (which i know) but isn't it funny that you can crouch to avoid it making it like a high attack also?

19. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I'm not alone in saying this.
    High is reversed by high reversal command
    Same goes for mid level n low level moves....
    Reversals are no longer like it was in VF3

I'm also not alone in asking for an example from u if u insist some mid level moves are reversed high.

Cheers~

20. LAU Abuser

<font color=red>Elbows hit mid but if you're executing a fwd CR guard, you can actually avoid being hit. But elbows are reversed d/b+P+K.