Help on Reversal (Akira)

Discussion in 'Akira' started by strangelove, Jan 26, 2002.

1. strangelove

strangelove Active Member

Does Someone has any advice concerning Reversal mastering ? I've been trying to integrate it into my games without much success latelly.i understand that most of it comes from anticipation and attack pattern but still i cant really get it right...just how late can you enter the moves ?
    basicly there 4 different level of reversal (High-Mid-low-special low) . probability wise i assumed your best guest is "df,p+k"
    since it reverse mid,flip,and knees...but whats your opinion/advice ?
    thanks for helping

"Fight till you die" ~Strangelove

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

probability wise i assumed your best guest is "df,p+k"
    since it reverse mid,flip,and knees...but whats your opinion/advice ?

You may be having trouble because the reversal command is d/b+P+K, not d/f.

3. LAU Abuser

LAU Abuser Well-Known Member

Regarding the 'just how late can you enter the moves ?', the reversal of your choice shd be entered b4 u even 'see' the move of your opponent... but i'm not saying that u must enter u'r reversal command way early...

For a start, there are generally 2 types of recovering kicks your 'downed' oppo has... 1.Middle and 2. Low. Reverse d/b+P+K and d+P+K respectively. i feel that you can start off reversing these kicks for practice. Its pretty easy.

Low punches, low kicks: d+P+K.
    Elbows(f+P), mid kicks(d/f+K) and knees(f+K): d/b+P+K
    All high attacks: b+P+K.
    Some attacks are cannot be reverse. E.g. Akiras b,f,f+P+K, QCB+P... ...

<font color=orange>its pretty risky to reverse knees as most knees are 'floaters' and the strings of attacks add up to more than the reversal's damage</font color=orange>. U can alternatively use dodge(up or down [release]) to evade most attacks except 'roundhouse' attacks.

Hope i'm much help to your concern...

4. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

STOP GIVING BAD INFO~!

U can only reverse linear rising attacks...
    N dun tell me u're sure/unsure/maybe that u've seen other sorts of rising attacks being reversed!

Get ur facts straight before u go running off giving wrong info again.

5. LAU Abuser

Which part of my reply was wrong? U got to point it out to me.

6. strangelove

strangelove Active Member

Thanks for replying...

to CreeD: sorry but that was a typo you freak >_<
    to anyone: can we resume by saying that
    most 2limp attack can't be blocked ?
    thx

7. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

Lau abuser, akira cannot reverse rising kicks for all characters except his own or when the other characters lies in face up feet away/face down head away in which case you can only reverse the mid rising kick. The only character that can reverse all rising kicks is Aoi.

8. oldtimer

oldtimer Well-Known Member

me 2 cents.. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

If you're playing against a character with a heavy high punch game, eg, Lau, Lei Fei ... a safe bet would be high reversals.

In general tho' you're right about mid reversals as a good bet if its a 'guessing game'. However against a rigid Sarah player who likes to elbow-knee alot, reversals can actually win you the match. And to a certain extent, this will also apply to Kage.

For timing practice, start reversing the third or fourth attack of a combo. A good rule of thumb is input the reversal command the moment the opponent 'twiches'. Bear in mind that reversals work best when you're in throwing range of the opponent.

I generally don't incorporate reversals in me game unless
    a) I'm pretty familar with my opponents' play patterns
    b) I wanna score style points with myself and feel good

Risk vs reward t'is your call.

Hope this post will be helpful to you =)

9. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

I think there was some rumor floating aroung last time that d/b reversasls now reverse both high and mid moves. That is NOT true. right??

10. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

NOT TRUE
    NOT TRUE
    NOT TRUE

N This my fellow VFer...is a fact.

11. danny13

Kage has a B,F+k/F,B+K that can be avoided by crouching but reversed by db+P+K. Jacky's SS,K can be avoided by crouching but reversed by db+P+K too. Any thoughts maybe these started the whole rumour?

12. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

laff, I got the typo. One common mistake when trying to reverse attacks is to attempt to reverse a high punch when your opponent is doing a PPP type of attack and you're blocking the punches. It's tough-to-impossible to block one or two punches and then reverse the third in a 3-punch-series ... even if you see it coming a mile away.

To warm up and get yourself confident at reversals, two situations where reversals work really well.

1. After you are knocked down and get up with a rising attack, and the rising attack is blocked. Do a d/b+P+K (and if you did a high rising attack, you can do a reversal immediately followed by a throw escape)

2. After f,f,f+P is blocked. Mid reversals work very well until your opponent catches on and starts with strong high or low attacks. Then you can try other effective techniques like f,f,f+P (blocked) ---> b,f,f+P+K (hits for a lot of damage).

13. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I'll tell u why it's all wrong
    Jacky's SS K hits MID!

Moves that hit high can only be reversed by b+p+k
    Mid reversed by d/b+p+k
    Low reversed by d+p+k

Case closed...end of story..no more ' but I hear..but I swear etc etc etc' comments...no more confusions.

14. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

I'm just posting this to back up summers -- I heard that rumour as well and it's definitely not correct.

grib.

15. LAU Abuser

<font color=orange>Lau abuser, akira cannot reverse rising kicks for all characters except his own or when the other characters lies in face up feet away/face down head away in which case you can only reverse the mid rising kick. The only character that can reverse all rising kicks is Aoi.</font color=orange>

Sorry abt my reply to strange love... I see that this fellow is a beginner thats why i gave him a general advice... we dun start off advicing a beginner on 'profound' techniques coz this tends to confuse and dissuade him/her to try out this topic of reversals. I believe that we start off wif simple techniques and slowly move on to advance playing after a few games. If strange love can start off doing a few reversals, this would be a great satisfaction. To start of reversing rising kicks can be a good practice as there are only 2 types. If i advice strange love to start off reversing 'hands on combat' that would be generally low,mid,high. The chances of getting a successful reversal is 1/3 (not considering the timing of command for his reversals).

16. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Listen carefully U !

No one's saying u shouldn't help him.
    WHAT WE R TRYING TO GET U TO UNDERSTAND IS U GAVE HIM THE WRONG INFO!

Are u really that THICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

Just like to add that some mid-level attacks are actually reversed high(b+p+k).

18. danny13

It hits mid (which i know) but isn't it funny that you can crouch to avoid it making it like a high attack also?

19. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I'm not alone in saying this.
    High is reversed by high reversal command
    Same goes for mid level n low level moves....
    Reversals are no longer like it was in VF3

I'm also not alone in asking for an example from u if u insist some mid level moves are reversed high.

Cheers~

20. LAU Abuser

<font color=red>Elbows hit mid but if you're executing a fwd CR guard, you can actually avoid being hit. But elbows are reversed d/b+P+K.