1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Help starting a scene - University of Detroit Mercy

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by MetroCityRansom, Jan 19, 2013.

1. MetroCityRansom

MetroCityRansom New Member

I really want to try and build some interest in Final Showdown at my university but I could use some help in how to build interest. I was thinking that I should just bring my console, set it up and draw attention by just playing arcade and license sparring. Does anyone have any other tips to try and start a fighting game scene for VF?

P.S. I wasn't sure if this was the right section for posting this topic. If it isn't, then I do apologize.

2. nou

nou Well-Known Member

How's your knowledge og the game?

Do you know the pace/flow of the game?

Do you know the base game comes down to, at it's simplest form?

How many hits during an exchange before its the next persons turn?

Do you know the frames for when one can Fuzzy Guard, CD Fuzzy, ETE/TEG on Defense and when Throws, Attacks and Launcher are guaranteed on offense? Can you explain these in general terms without using frames?

These are some steps that can get people interested in the game because having someone who know what they are doing when teaching helps a lot.

Another thing is being able to see two solid players play to see what the game is like at high level. I'd look at the Chibita vs Fuudo ft5 as a good reference tool as a lot of fundamentals are on display there.

3. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Well this is a place to start offline matchmaking, but state which university or city you are living in your thread title. There might already be some lurkers or regular VFDCers living in your area.

I'm also trying to build a VF offline community in St. Louis. Bringing a setup to some game night at your university to draw some interest would be a good start. Also posting about it at whatever facebook or university bulletin board or what else is another way to get things started. That is what I am doing. Good luck.

4. MetroCityRansom

MetroCityRansom New Member

My knowledge is decent but I want to improve. I started with vf5 then went to vf4 and eventually came to fs. I'm familiar with the pace of the game. Its quite intense which I enjoy but strategic at the same time. I'm still learning all the frames involving fuzzy guarding, ETG/TEG and hit confirms. I understand how they work but doing those actions in a live match is a different story.I should be able to at least explain what each mean but I'll most definitely continue to learn the system both for my benefit and others. I did see that match between Fuudo and Chibita, which was one of the reasons why I wanted to play FS in the first place. To Akai, I attend University of Detroit Mercy and I did see a thread with a couple of people in my area but it died in August.

Thanks for the quick responses.

5. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Cool, make sure you know the stuff I posted like the back of your hand as it will help you and your chances of getting people into the game. Despite the aesthetics, Sega mishandling the series etc. etc. the biggest thing is people just don't know how to explain the game and it goes over people's heads, even people from other fighting games are lost.

Remember you gotta be the dude to represent as you will come across haters who wil try to embarrass you and prove ther "point" that "VF sucks" to other players.

6. JaLoHa21

JaLoHa21 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    JaLoHa21
    It would be awesome to see a VF scene grow in Detroit or something. I don't live TOO far from Detroit, but maybe I would be able to work something out. Would have to find out where it's happening though, there seems to be like four University Mercy places in Detroit and they are all 33 minutes away.
    But if we can get tournaments on the weekend, maybe I can come.

7. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

Don't limit the scene to Detroit or the University.
    Post a thread here for people in Michigan then start the planning of an offline gathering.
    Be willing to travel and perhaps create online rooms in the meantime.

Good Luck

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  8. wingchun_warrior

wingchun_warrior Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

ya thats a good idea im in detroit to lets do it