1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Shun

Discussion in 'Shun' started by CreeD, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Re: [VFDC CHOICE] Help with Shun

Jesse is a Minnesota player:) I play in Omaha, Nebraska. I have never been punished for it and Troy TR's the thing all the time.

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

my bad :p Don't know why I keep mixing up Minnesota and Nebraska up... sigh...

Anyways, thanks for the feedback. I'm curious about catch throws and what not... Vanessa, Sarah, Kage... Don't know if Lei Fei can do much though, he has the range, but don't know if he has the speed. I should just use the record feature of training mode whenever I play the game again.

-Chanchai

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

u+K versus u+K+G -- it's the Blue Book's typo. They both take the same damage, at 20 points.

Statistically, they appear exactly the same, but I remember Hiro telling me that u+K+G had slightly better recovery time...at least in Version B. Psychologically I just always use the u+K+G...it SEEMS as though I miss combos less often when I use it.

Also, now that it no longer beats LP, the best time to use it is in nitaku and guaranteed situations.

4. Shundi_05

Shundi_05 Well-Known Member

Hi!

It's better not to rely on that move to increase your Dps cos sooner or later people will figure out what to do. It is a lose lose situtation for you. There is much better combo you can do after the mule kick like d/f+P, P, K. If for you, the mule kick is for Dps purposes then you should go and find out more effective ways to use your SAKE. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/frown.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/frown.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Hayai_JiJi

I get most of my cups from throws and getting 4-9 cups after every round I win. Though if the the u+k+g -> f+p+k is there i will take it.

6. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

You won't really need to do much u+K+G -> f+P+K anyway. twice early in the fight is enough as long as you got 8 dps already.

7. Shundi_05

Think about this.

Since Shundi's dodge slap only floats opponents(Mc) after 18 Dps. Isn't it better to maintain your Dps at this level. Try to sneak your way to 10 Dps, then wait for two throw counterable situations and apply the 270-throw. And you will find yourself with 22 Dps. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

It's always easier said than done. And this is quite hard if your oponent is FOREVER on the OFFENSIVE side. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif /versus/images/icons/frown.gif /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

Have fun! /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

/versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif "Look at my picture before my mule kick hit you in your face!" /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

Long time ago, someone told me that Shun's Dps make Shun moves faster. Do drinking points really improve Shun's frame stats ? Does he also take less damage when hit ?

9. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Just a question/verification - Shun does not have any sabaki attacks, correct?

10. Chanchai

I haven't tried it out to confirm... but I remember early reports saying that Shun got a sabaki property added to one of his moves in Version C. If I recall, that move was db+P+K.

Would be worth looking into.

-Chanchai

11. Shundi_05

Hi!

Ya, I remember reading about that d/b+P+K being a sabaki somewhere some time ago. But in my months of playing, it never seems to be of much use because that move is damn SLOW. Always get hit before the that move can come out. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif /versus/images/icons/frown.gif /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

/versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif "Look at my picture before my mule kick hit you in your face!" /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

12. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

d/b+P+K is a sabaki move.

13. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

To what levels? Early, mid, late?

14. Hayai_JiJi

Okay from my short testing it sabaki's all mid attacks in the middle of its animation and it makes most high attacks whiff. It is slow as all hell but god you get rewarded if you sabaki something you get the p follow up which produces a leg flop.

15. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

Ok. Can anyone tell me what's the point of drinking up to 6 dps just to do b,f+p,p,p - d+p - throw. This is in Shun's trial mode 24(I think)

Mine is Jap VF4 version so I couldn't make out the instructions.

I don't see the need of having to get 6 dps to do that string of moves unless it improves Shun's Frame stats. That was my question. Does drinking improve his Frame stats ?

16. Chanchai

Drinking has various results... I don't know the exact results in VF4, except a few. I'll list what I BELIEVE to be some of the results, but it's incomplete and some are likely to be altered (since a good number are based on VF3).

-Shun does 1% more damage for each drink point.
    -Some attacks like the Chouwan (df,f+P or QCF+P) yield higher floats, enabling more combos. Some floats begin to yield floats too.
    -Some moves are opened up, usually in a string of some sort.
    -Some attacks have property/opportunity changes (like frame stat changes) such as the now notorious PPd+KK guaranteeing the last two kicks on a high block of PP after Shun has, I think, 16 drinks.

Overall, Shun gets a LOT more powerful overall when he has more drink points.

-Chanchai

17. pearl

pearl Member

Could someone please tell me how to get more drink points when the round ends? Maybe I am understanding this wrong but from what people say, it seems like after you win a round but before the next round starts(like when you can do one last combo on the k.0.'ed opponent you can get more points)? I get him to drink and he does, but his points don't go up, is there some kind of special thing you have to do to get it to work? Or is it just a misunderstanding?

18. PlugAndChug

PlugAndChug Well-Known Member

You can gain more drink points after you finish your oppenent. The problem is that you don't have a lot of time after the K.O. announcement. Instead of finishing the combo after the K.O. symbol comes out, start drinking. What I usually do is do P+K+G and then lie down (half circle forward), P+K+G for 3 more points. There is a thread that tells you which situations gets you the most drink points, i.e. ring outs, KO's, etc. The only situation where you don't get to gain DP's is when your the time runs out I believe.

19. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Info Chanchai

Shun's sliding uppercut also yields higher floats the more you drink. It's so high you could even do chouwan combo or df+p,p,k.

20. egghead64

egghead64 Member

Well, I don't know much about Shun, but am still learning. But I can help you with the 3/4 circle throw. The best strategy for that would be to hold guard before you do it, when done correctly, it can be the fastest command throw you can do with any character. It's easy to me because of extensive Zangief playing on SF series.