1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Shun

Discussion in 'Shun' started by CreeD, Oct 31, 2001.

1. DanniBoySmith

DanniBoySmith Well-Known Member

Re: [VFDC CHOICE] Help with Shun

hi everyone this is my first strat post. apologies if this is pure beginner stuff but i'm a rank amateur at this game (new tekken convert) and the only characters whose movelists i'm even aware of are shun and lion. lol

anyway about the wall stuff, i'd also like to know what you people use for wall games (guesssing games, combos, etc). right now i think my most damaging wall combo is: [3]+[K] into wall, [3],[6]+[P],[P] (will knock them down, then [8]+[P] pounce. its all a combo for around 95 points damage.

also i use this setup after the lunging punch occasionally which is very rearding against techrollers: MC [2],[3]+[P], [4][3]+[P], after which you dash in towards them. if your opponent chooses to techroll at this point, doing a well timed [3]+[K] will hit and stagger them backwards after which you can score a guaranteed [3]+[P],[P],[K] in their backs. the whole sequence nets you around 150-160 points damage which is about 70-80% of their life bar.

apologies if this has all common knowledge though /versus/images/icons/smile.gif. i'm still very new to this game and get my ass handed to me by moby all the time /versus/images/icons/frown.gif.

by the way, it seems you can also combo with [3_]+[P],[P],[K] on middleweights after shuns handstand [P]+[K] elbow hits but the timing is sort of weird because i cant get it to hit consistently /versus/images/icons/frown.gif. any tips?

anyway i wanted to discuss shuns [8]_[2]+[P]+[K]+[G] move. it seems to avoid almost any move but i dont understand the timing for it. i've been able to parry various moves with it and get into a decent BT guessing game with it but its not really consistent. the only time it seems to work somewhat consistently is when i do it right after techrolling or when i'm at a slight frame disadvantage (like after [3]+[P],[P]).

2. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Ooh good topic I have been wondering about the [8]|[2]+[P]+[K]+[G] for ahwhile as well. It seems to me as though it only dodges attacks in the very early frames of the move. Another question is there any thing you can dodge with this move that will net you a garaunteed BT [P]+[G]?

3. DanniBoySmith

DanniBoySmith Well-Known Member

lonely yeah i think you're right about shuns [2]|[8]+[P]+[K]+[G] move. i tried it out with a friend in practice mode and i couldn't dodge any of the moves he tried when i did the dodge at the same time as him and a bit earlier then him (we primarily tested with double palm). however during the matches i managed to avoid all sorts of stuff with this move so i'm guessing you have to execute the [2]|[8]+[P]+[K]+[G] with shun just as you're about to get hit like you said. must test it out some more.

about the guaranteed BT [P]+[G] throw, i dont know of any situations where the throw is guaranteed but there definitely some good setups for it IMO. here's one i've tried on occasion but have only been successful with it once or twice (i just learned the setup): after the MC [2_][3]+[P], [4],[3]+[P] combo, do a [6][6]+[K] with shun immediately afterwards. if your opponent techrolls, you'll end up behind them with your BT towards them. fit in the BT [P]+[G] throw right here.

the other situation where i was thinking it might be useful is when a [6]+[K] connects and you g cancel immediately after that and mix up a BT [P]+[G] throw with BT [P]+[K]+[G]. the opponent is sometimes frozen after eating the [6]+[K] so it might be a good opportunity.
    i recommend the BT [P]+[K]+[G] as the mid mixup option because Deniz above me said that the BT [P]+[K]+[G] is a sabaki against almost any attack. i tried it out with a friend in practice mode and it does indeed seem to override any attacks but ONLY those attacks which execute at the same speed as the L shaped attack or greater. the BT [P]+[K]+[G] executes at 14 frames so some common attacks might very well beat it ([2]+[P] although i didn't test it out with [2]+[P]) but any attacks of 14 frames or greater i'm positive it can beat. i tested mostly with akiras DplPm, SglPm, DE and SDE. naturally the DplPm won when done at the same time as the 'L shaped' attack, but i beat out the DE, SDE, SglPm when i did the L shaped attack a split second earlier. i still need to test out a lot more moves against it but right now i'm of the opinion that Deniz is right and that shuns L shaped attack is indeed a sabaki and a very good one at that. just need to find situations to use it more often /versus/images/icons/frown.gif.

btw. thanx to myke for editing and taking away all that bold text /versus/images/icons/smile.gif. how the heck did i get that anyway??? /versus/images/icons/confused.gif

edit: there is it again! i dont want bold text DAMMIT! /versus/images/icons/mad.gif

edit: you're using [ b ] for the the [4] command. [ b ] = bold, whereas [ bk ] = [4]. -- Myke

4. DrunkenMan

DrunkenMan New Member

Hi i just wanna know if my techinque is any good.
    I got up to stormlord so far with 445/42

Round 1- start the match with a [1][K][K]. if it connects i use a [6][K]+[G] then a [2][K]+[G]. follow with a [1][P][K].then u [P][G]. and end it with a [8][K] follow with a [8][P]

round 2-start off with[8][K][G] (hope noone evade its) then floowi it up with a [6][P]+[K]. i do my little[6][K]+[G] and a [1][P][K] then i do [2][3][6][P][P] then a [8][K] or a [1][P][K] then [P][G] and[4][P][G] till da round is over.

round 3.start of with[4][6][P][P][P] then a [K][K][2] then on the ground i use[K][P][K] then use a [1][P][K]. i use a [4][P][G] and do a [2][K].

but thats for just in kumite only

is that good i think so /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

MC[2_],[3]+[P]->[4],[3]+[P] then [6],[6]+[K] if they TR is an interesting set up for the BT [P]+[G]. I do have an issue with it becuase if i know they are gonna TR why not go for the backstagger combo which is like 100+ points of damage?

6. Shundi_05

Shundi_05 Well-Known Member

Hm.....

Try this
    [8][K]+[G] then [8_][P]+[K] to go into handstand. [P]+[K] again to roll forward.

If you timing is right, both opponent high rising or low rising attack will miss you. And you will find your back facing opponent.

If high rising attack, [P]+[G] to execute the BT throw.
    If low rising attack, nothing much to do except [P]+[K][K].

7. jherb9000

jherb9000 Well-Known Member

I was playing with shun and i did his sabaki [1][P]+[K], and im not sure but i think i sabaki(ed) sarah flip kick thing (the one that jacky and, kage have ya know) can i, /versus/images/icons/confused.gif or did i just evade the kick.

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Did you hear the record-scratching sound? If you hear that, you sabaki'd an attack... if you don't, your attack simply won for the usual reasons (enemy's attack was too far or didn't have the priority to work)

9. The_Elder

The_Elder Member

Is [1]+[P]+[K] really a sabaki? Can you tell me what other sabaki shun has? Please reply!

10. jherb9000

Yup...it's a sabaki, that's his only one. check out shun's movelist on this site. It will tell you the properties
    of all of shun's moves. /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

11. jherb9000

What's the quickest attack after [2][P][K][G] [P] [P]? I can finally do some sort of evade with it, and end up getting hammered worst...anyone know the porpose of this move...besides just getting into BT
    when [4][4] [P] or [K] would be better. /versus/images/icons/mad.gif

12. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

yeah ... it sucks. bb+P works to get into backturned.

13. Shundi_05

Hm.....

It is better to do only [2][P]+[K]+[G], [P] and fake a throw onto opponent. Then do something else the next time. Use it as an okizeme tool. Use it once in a while and it will still be useful. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Now with so much more options in the drunken stance, this move will be better still.

14. Apprentice

Apprentice New Member

OK, I just bought VF 4, because my friends don't want me to play Tekken 4... blahblah...
    I like VF 4 (but it's not THAT great) uhm... Shun Di is the coolest character IMO and I got a question... I've been browsing through his moves list and I can't find the command for the Drunken Master STance... so if you don't mind, telling me what it is???

15. jherb9000

There is no button press for drunken stance...there are moves
    (listed in the movelist) that after the move is done you end up in drunken ST /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

16. jherb9000

Can Shun's BT [P][K][G] [P] [P] auto throw move beat rising attacks? I don't think the [P][P] auto throw would connect, but what about the kick? /versus/images/icons/confused.gif

17. Nashi

Nashi Well-Known Member

LOL, that apprentice beated the crap out of me, /versus/images/icons/grin.gif /versus/images/icons/grin.gif . AHAHAH!!! DRUNKEN MASTER STANCE!!! AHAAHAHHA!!! I mean, this is not tekken 4, where you have SPECIALS, or super sayen techniques! Vaarrrtiua Fata Fo (like the japanese would say) is not REALISTIC in every way, but you can't even compare it's realism with tekken....at least in the ps2 you can turn the flashes off...but tekken is so damn stupid! "SUUUPAAA KIICKO!!" and he goes up in the air, and then just connect a special and buh-bye. With this I mean: Apprentice, if you're an apprentice, first begin practising with a char that says begginer or at least with lau, which is more or less like a begginer char (Easier to control than Jacky..). And then when you finnaly learned some stuff and did the trial training, ALL of it, then you may ask some questions. Until then, don't ask stupid questions (what the fuck is a Drunken Stance anyway??..It's more of a flamingo stance...when i get drunk i don't get my knee up and grab it with my hand.........).

18. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Did you mean to post this here?
    Why did you just bitch out someone who asked a legitimate gameplay question?

Please make sure your posts relate to whatever you're replying to. You haven't been here long enough to tell people what they can and can't ask anyway.

19. Shundi_05

Hm.....

Never tried that before. But if the damage of any part of the combo is higher than the rising kick damage, then you would be able to beat the rising kick with that part.

Plus: Even if you can do that, I doubt the timing would be easy. So why not try other moves.

Few good moves to counter rising attacks.....
    [4][P] cause opponent to turn around
    [6][K] can combo if successful. [P] then [3][P]
    [2][6][P] can combo if successful (chowan combos)
    [4][K]+[G] This is the easiest move to counter rising attacks.

For Drunken stance :
    [6][K]
    [K] and hold
    [K][K] and hold
    [K]+[G] and hold
    [4][K]+[G] and hold
    Thatz all. Think so.

20. jherb9000

Well how do you use it for okizeme
    purposes... /versus/images/icons/confused.gif or do you mean use it to make them choose if they reeeally reeeally /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif wanna use a rising attack.