1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Shun

Discussion in 'Shun' started by CreeD, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Nashi

Nashi Well-Known Member

Re: [VFDC CHOICE] Help with Shun

CreeD, i wasn't really bitching him up. It was more like bitching Tekken 4, and the english names you people give the techniques. Why not using the real names? Or does Choukarou mean Drunken Stance??

2. jherb9000

jherb9000 Well-Known Member

What is shuns most dammaging combo? and is there a guaranteed
    attack after shuns [3][K] and [4][P]?

3. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Shun's most damaging combos are kind of sad.
    QCF+P -> F+P -> F+P -> ff+K -> df+P .. that's an uppercut, two jabs, the cartwheel, then the ground attack.
    You can also do for the same damage:
    QCF+P -> F+P -> F+K,K ... uppercut, jab, kick-kick combo.

Shun needs the drinks to do decent damage in his combos.

And I don't think anything is guaranteed after b+P.

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Re: [VFDC CHOICE] Help with Shun

.. . it wasn't very clear, but I'll take your word for it.

The names the english speaking VFers give to moves ARE pretty goofy, but that's ok, we like them and use them. You can make up your own names or use obscure japanese terms, but the problem is nobody will know what you're talking about.

=/

5. jherb9000

are there any moves of his that guarentee hits...besides ground attacks. i know ive seen [3][K] followed by [3][P] many times but is it guarenteed...?

6. Apprentice

Apprentice New Member

all the characters move like Pinochio... just noticed that... still a good game though...

7. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

nope nothing is guaranteed after df+K... everyone's df+K falls into two types, the kind that never knock down and the kind that always knock down... the ones that never knock down guarantee nothing unless a wall is nearby. The ones that always knock down can sometimes get you an extra hit, but it's rare.

8. Nashi

Nashi Well-Known Member

CreeD, it's just a question of using the original terms, and not made-up ones. Remembers me of my neighbors, the spanish people. Those cunts translate EVERYTHING they get their hands on. You should see Simpsons in Spanish, it's the most idiot thing i have ever seen. CONSERVE THE COUNTRY'S CULTURE, that's my ideal. And remember that using the japanese terms makes your japanese better, and you learn more stuff about martial arts. In my opinion, using english terms, not for being in english, but because it is a translation, it's stupid stuff. Don't translate, interiorizate. (i don't know the word in english).

9. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I see your point, and for a lot of the newer stuff that's come out the japanese terms are used... i.e. AS3/fujin for akira's d+K+G three hit combo, or sabaki, or kuzure down/KD.

But my point is that when you come on the board to talk about VF, and you want to share something with other people or ask a question, your goal isn't to become a better japanese speaker, or preserve the country's culture, or learn about martial arts. Your goal is to talk about VF, and it's easier to do that if you can understand other people and be understood in turn.

Like I said, nobody's gonna stop you from using whatever terms you want, but if nobody knows what you're talking about, it's a waste of time.

10. Nashi

Nashi Well-Known Member

Yes, you're right. It doesn't really matter if i use the japanese terms, you wouldn't understand them, but i'm an idealist of the ORIGINAL stuff.

Thinking of it, about shun: [8]+[P]+[K]+[G] IS a good technique but it's used better against Human opponents, because the AI doesn't get confused...It doesn't work as an evade move, or at least as fast as an evade move, but works pretty nice anyway. In my opinion, there are no useless moves in this game. Do you see a useless move in Judo? A useless move in Kung Fu? In any other martial arts?? Nop. Because you have to use them accordingly to the situation, the same thing happens when playing VF4, and that's why shun's an Expert char, you really DO have to know when to use each of his techinques.

11. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Man, are you nuts? Its a friggen video game..there are no completely useless moves, but just like in martiall arts (of which i have spent over 13 years studying in total) there are some moves which are just not sensable to use in a real fight...some moves in VF just do not have any use outside of the "oohhh" factor...such as shuns evade that you mentioned...

12. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Going back a bit to Ver. C., and being a Shun fan, I'd say his most damaging combo with no drinks is:

[2][3][6][P][P][2][3][6][P][3][P]
    That's:
    Chowan, normal punch, Chowan, mid punch. After 6 drinks, you can put the chown follow ups for about an extra 5 points.
    The chowan is a bitch to two closely together for me, but that's just me.

After 8 drinks, the only one combo I know that's high damaging is a fully charged [3_][P]+[K](MC)[3][P][P][K]

In EVO, you can get [3][P][P][K] in easier after floating with the Chowan & the Mule Kick.

Also what CreeD told you would get you nowhere, since the jab command is [4][6][P]. [6][P] is a booty hit.

Vale:
    Even though CreeD doesn't know Shun's movelist so well, he's right. While I'm sure many people here would love to be able to speak Japanese, and I'm sure there are a lot that think they can but can't, it's proper ettiquette to

1: Be able to spell etiquitte, and
    2: USe the terminology that's been in place for years.

I still rarely use the moves names, as I don't want to learn everything twice. I'm in a bit of a damned situation, so I stick in the middle, just saying the command. It's generally okay for all intents and purposes.

Even a lovely person such as myself has gotten an ass-reeming (or at least a sarcistic post or 3) by mods and VF-addicts for not reading the movelist.

13. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Also what CreeD told you would get you nowhere, since the jab command is P. f+P is a booty hit.

Vale:
    Even though CreeD doesn't know Shun's movelist so well, he's right. While I'm sure many people here would love to be able to speak Japanese, and I'm sure there are a lot that think they can but can't, it's proper ettiquette to

1: Be able to spell etiquitte, and
    2: USe the terminology that's been in place for years.

Ha! the irony is killing me. I wasn't saying [6][P], I was saying [6_][P],,, or using the terminology that's been in place for years: not f+P, F+P. Holding forward and punch makes your jab get a little more range, and ditto for holding forward during a [K][[K]] combo.

/versus/images/icons/confused.gif /versus/images/icons/mad.gif /versus/images/icons/smirk.gif /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

14. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Shun's evade [8]|[2]+[P]+[K]+[G] isnt terribly useful but its one of the few moves shun has that changes stance independently. So dont rule it out.

15. Nashi

Nashi Well-Known Member

AhA!!! Yesterday i was playing with my Shun (EuSouAssim meaning: I'mLikeThis in portuguese) and i tried using [8]+[P]+[K]+[G] many many times. And after taking many hits in my ass i found out that most medium moves were being avoided if i executed the move at the same time the attacked me. I'm not sure, i didn't try it in training but i fought a 10th dan Wolf in Kumite mode and i Ko'ed him using some well-timed [8][P][K][G] as it doesn't count as an Evade movement so it nullifies throws (unless in the last frame you input the throw command and you may do a Back Throw) but it's a pretty cool move to confuse the opponent, i usually follow it up with K because most opponents have a tedency to use Back throws, and K Back Turned with shun is really fast. I also found a funny way to win in kumite mode, just use [1]+[K] [G] and then [K], meaning you'll fall down next to [1][K] and then you'll use a mule kick from the floor being able to connect some moves if you're fast enough (or if you have some drinks). I never tested it against a human opponent, but maybe it can be used to confuse the opponents that are very aggressive and that use non-stoppable series (like Jacky players or pai players). Sorry if i said something someone already knew.

16. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Well, search back at a lot of my first posts here... shouldn't be a surprise that I fret upon the 'terminology that's been here for years'. I can't really get too far in life w/o pictures. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

As I've said it before - the Japanse do almost everything in much more complicated manner than is required (banking, shopping, police reports to name the worst ones) -- writing VF4 strings for the computer is one of the few things they actually got right. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

But, considering more than a few don't even use the '+', I should probably get off lightly for my lack of knowledge.

17. jherb9000

hows about some good poke attacks for good ol shun di...like some attacks that don't allow too big a window for counter attack. /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

18. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

They aren't spectacular, but shun's df+P, or P+K, or f+P are all pretty decent pokes... uncounterable but they're -5 or 6. Once shun has a few drinks, they get better... the df+P goes into a thrust punch (and then kick) and can float if you're drunk enough. Pretty good for a save move with canned followups. f+P I don't see used much but people fear the followup punches or booty attack, so it might allow you to poke and then throw.

19. jherb9000

who do you play with to know this stuff...

20. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I've played every character a fair amount, but shun, aoi, and lion the least. Probably Lau and Pai the most.