1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Shun

Discussion in 'Shun' started by CreeD, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Chill

Chill +40 DP Content Manager Shun Gold Supporter

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG
    I think it's been covered but:
    [6]+[P]+[K] does less damage, and there is a risk that your opponent will TR and dash in to attack you while Shun is drinking. [6]+[P],[P],[K] is the most common follow up, but a [8]+[P] pounce will do more damage. If you have 8DP then you can do [3]+[P],[P],[K].

2. Oni-Kage

Oni-Kage Well-Known Member

There's a bit more, and involves some ura/okizeme mind games.

If you have 6dp, after mule kick you can do couwan/backfist to cross over the opponent... they are still in the air just long enough to connect a BT [K]+[G] for a juggle. This can be TR'd of course, but worse case scenario you will just end up facing each other again. If you think they will TR, you can always trick them in to the L-Shaped punches, or a delayed BT throw. If you suspect a TR + Evade, the BT [K] covers that. So you have some options that setup from the couwan/backfist combo.

Has anyone found good setups for Shun's kick in his new [P],[K] string? It looks half circular so maybe it can trap people that evade after TR. Also, what to do after it hits, esp on MC? The CPU usually immediately goes into the BT [K]+[G].

3. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

I generally just go w/ the pounce. I'll take damage over DPs any day. The [6][P][P][K] works nice as well, but requires some precision. I'm usually smoking when I play, so just go w/ the pounce.

Cosmic_Forge:
    I assume you're referring [P][K][4]
    I've yet to find a time when this is good, as it's all high. I do it every now and again - I suppose when someone is freaked out and KNOWS you're going to throw them, and they enter a throw escape. Should be facing backwards, and have gotten a hit.

Generally when I want to turn my back, I just do [4][4][P]. Most of the people I play are still thinking Ver. C, and automatically duck, or try a low punch, which will whiff (and then some).

4. Oni-Kage

Found some more Evo Shun goodness:

These are listed as "combos" in training mode, so I haven't tested them in real play yet. I was just verifying some stuff discussed awhile back. These work on all weights in open or closed stances.

With 20 DP and MC [4][4][K]:
    [K]+[G], [K]+[G] (98)
    [P][K] (83)
    [P]+[K]+[G], [P] (63)

With 25 DP and MC [4][4][K]:
    [P][P][P] (94)
    [P][P][2][K][K] (106)

With 28 DP and MC [4][4][K]:
    [K] (86)
    [P]+[G] (98)
    [P]+[G], (wall hit), [3][P] (110)

It seems the double backwards kicks will always do the most damage compared to other options except at 25 DP.

Also I'd like to note that the techroll "trap" with the L-shape attacks is pretty decent. A basic way to set it up against at techroll is to chouwan, [4][4][P], then start the L-shape string just before the TR begins. Since you can delay the string hits, you have a bit of control on when to input the last P to snag them at completion of techroll. Other options are of course to not do the final punch, but mix up with [P]+[G] (if they guard high to block the mid), [K]+[G] (if they try to LP you), [K] (if they try to TR then evade). Much good stuff... of course you sacrifice damage for this setup.... I'm sure there are better setups for the L-shape mixups though.

Lastly, I'm having trouble connecting the chouwan after the [3][K] backstagger... It always whiffs... any pointers? Or are some characters immune?

5. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

To get the chouwan after the backstagger you must buffer in a forward dash prior to the chouwan so [6][6][3][6]+[P].

6. SoundWave

SoundWave Well-Known Member

Here's a question for all you good Shun players, does he have any sort of reversal!? I was playing Shang yesterday with my Shun (cuz he creams my Aoi)and he went for a strike and it seemed like i reversed his move into some nice drunken attack! i wish i saved the replay cuz i know i'll never do it again but it was awesome! Ok i found it, it's his [4][P]+[K], what are some good instances to use this? thanks.

7. Hayai_JiJi

it sabaki's high and mid punches and high and mid elbows.

8. Oni-Kage

Ditto. Any time you anticipate a punch or elbow (not 2-handed tho). You can even guard the first hits in a punch string and bust out the sabaki. Better yet, the timing is very lazy, since it's a sabaki and not reversal. You don't have to wait for them to punch you first. Just input the attack, then buffer in your throw escapes->guard in case it is blocked. Time it right and you can even get in a [1][p],[k] combo if it hits (depending on weight).

9. SoundWave

very nice to know, thanks.

10. SoundWave

any of you know how to get his red dragon emblem or hydrangea emblem? On the FAQ it says 30 consecutive wins,which i've done, and an 80+ dmg, counter combo which i've done but no items! any help on other cool items would be good too.

11. MrMojo

MrMojo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how I got them, probably just by playing through kumite ( my shun is an 8th dan /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

12. SoundWave

ya my shun is now and 8th dan too, hope i didn't miss many items.

13. MrMojo

MrMojo Well-Known Member

I got most of my items just playing vs.

14. SoundWave

by using an FAQ and just doing the things they say or just by accident? most of them seem like they wouldn't normally happen in a fight but I guess they could. Whats your Shun look like? what are some of your favorite item's for him?

15. MrMojo

MrMojo Well-Known Member

For what my shun looks like RIGHT NOW:
    Vf char. dress up

Fave item is the white horse bottle. So very sexy ;d

Yeah, I either had a friend help me get them ( when someone needs to hit me) or just plugged another controller in and did the requirements against a non-moving character. Some of them are super crazy, requiring certain items to be worn and such.

16. SoundWave

i do like the white horse bottle but i think the red dragon one is better, it's like the same thing but different colors and it matches my shun better. I love his ceramic gourd bottle i use it on his 2P costume for like a more natural look cuz thats my non-flashy looking one.

17. Hayai_JiJi

please take this dress up kumite fag boy nonsense to the console board not in the strategy board. thanks

18. SoundWave

calm yourself, this topic was dying and i had no other questions at the moment so i posted something else.

19. SoundWave

ok over in the am.sega media thread there are some new movies with a really great shun! He shows off exactly how shun should be played throwing in tons of awesome drunken moves and plenty of new Evo ones!

20. MrMojo

MrMojo Well-Known Member

A lot of shun movies I see ( the ones on Vf4 replay, the ones on the media threads) dont even use stances and prefer to do a down move instead of drinking in the end.