1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Vanessa's hit-throws and wall throw please

Discussion in 'Vanessa' started by ukie, Apr 10, 2002.

1. ukie

ukie Member

Hello -

As my ps2 is pulling a disc-read error on blue discs before VF4 came out and I'm still waiting for it to get fixed, I am one of the unfortunate players who have to keep chugging quarters into the arcade for practice. So, please bear with me when I ask about timing for moves that can be perfected in the ps2 training mode.

I've just started to use Vanessa a few days ago, and there are a few moves I just can't get the timing down. If someone can help me and provide hints on when I should execute the commands, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Here goes -

1. The wall throws - f,f+p+g, b+p+g or f+p+g - when should I input the second set of commands? Right when the opponent bounces back, or some time after? I can do the surprise exchange (wall-hit) to the f,f+p+g part, but it's frustrating I can't link the whole combo together.

2. f+k, f+p+g sleeper - can't seem to get this down either. Please help ^-^;

3. b,b+k+g to low throw - I seem to whiff every time with a blocking opponent, so if someone can point out when the low throw should be executed I'd appreciate it.

4. During the punch grab, if Vanessa kicks to the back of the opponent, I can't seem to get f+p+g out. All I can get so far is still the takedown-arm snap. It's frustrating, because if I get a gut-kick I can land the p+g, f,f+k+g, f+p+g after it without problems...

Again, advice on the timing of these moves will be of great help to me. Thanks.

-ukie

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    1. The wall throws - f,f+p+g, b+p+g or f+p+g - when should I input the second set of commands? Right when the opponent bounces back, or some time after? I can do the surprise exchange (wall-hit) to the f,f+p+g part, but it's frustrating I can't link the whole combo together.

Just input the second part as soon as possible. It's not possible to do it too early, so the sooner you input it, the better.

2. f+k, f+p+g sleeper - can't seem to get this down either. Please help ^-^;

The f+K must be a major counter hit (MC) and you input the f+P+G during the hit animation (i.e. opponent is keeling over from the knee).

3. b,b+k+g to low throw - I seem to whiff every time with a blocking opponent, so if someone can point out when the low throw should be executed I'd appreciate it.

Firstly, b,b+K+G will stomach crumble on hit only in version C. If you're playing in an arcade outside of Japan, chances are you're playing version B and the b,b+K+G won't crumble. PS2 is version C.

Secondly, b,b+K+G will never allow you to get a low throw against a blocking opponent in version C. However, there's a glitch in the PS2 version which has the CPU always crouching after blocking a charged b,b+K+G, which then allows you to low throw.

4. During the punch grab, if Vanessa kicks to the back of the opponent, I can't seem to get f+p+g out. All I can get so far is still the takedown-arm snap. It's frustrating, because if I get a gut-kick I can land the p+g, f,f+k+g, f+p+g after it without problems...

There are two versions of the Hand Hold (punch grab) which depend on stance. For the Arrest Hold Knee you need to be in open stance, and it's just P+G.

Check out Vaness'a Command List on this site (from Home, click on Vanessa under VF4, then click on the Version C Command List link).

3. ukie

ukie Member

Myke -

ohhh. That clears up the issue a great deal.

I'll try inputting the wall throw chain as soon as possible, like you said. The only reason I waited was because I went through the command training a little at a friend's house, and I thought I remembered the text help msg saying I inputted it too early. So every time I try to follow-up I always get a whiff. Now, specifically though, are we talking about Akira DLC type immediacy, or is it immediate like other hit throws - execute as soon as the opponent hits the wall?

Thanks for the bit too on the f+k, f+p+g... no wonder I'm not getting it 90% of the time, since they're all normal hits. Maybe the only stages I can practice this on is the first or second, where Aoi's D,df+p can turn into a hit-throw as well just about every time...

And, yeah, it's probably version B I'm playing on /versus/images/icons/frown.gif But, I'm not exactly clear on the differences except a few tweaks. Is the ranking card ver. C only?

I'll go and check out the stance differences as you suggested too. Thanks a lot, Myke /versus/images/icons/smile.gif You're a tremendous help.

- ukie

4. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Now, specifically though, are we talking about Akira DLC type immediacy, or is it immediate like other hit throws - execute as soon as the opponent hits the wall?

Yep, we're talking DLC immediacy. Don't wait, and there are no specific timing requirements as there are for hit-throws.

Thanks for the bit too on the f+k, f+p+g... no wonder I'm not getting it 90% of the time, since they're all normal hits. Maybe the only stages I can practice this on is the first or second, where Aoi's D,df+p can turn into a hit-throw as well just about every time...

Yep, first and second stages in the arcade are the best to test these on if you don't have a PS2.

And, yeah, it's probably version B I'm playing on But, I'm not exactly clear on the differences except a few tweaks. Is the ranking card ver. C only?

VF.net is in every version of VF4, however, it is only implemented in Japan, which is the only place where you get to use your card. The differences between versions B and C are mainly changes in move properties (damage, frame stats, hit effects, etc) in order to make the game more balanced. If you search the boards here, I'm sure you'll find plenty of detailed information. Moby posted a few threads specifically on version C changes - Vanessa had the most changes for any character!

5. ukie

ukie Member

Myke -

Hey, thanks again. Just went to the arcade and test it out during lunch. Worked just like a charm, both the hit throw and the wall throw. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif Now I just need to test out any g-cancel moves that I can use well besides the charging kick and beef up on the muay thai stance combos, and I'll be able to hopefully use vanessa with some competence.

One other note, can you tell me when the g+db or ub+k is useful? It seems to have less range than the standard parry kick against charging opponents and doesn't stagger, so I often whiff with that move as well. At this time, it's doing me about as much good as Pai's trip stance, which is not much.

And - you probably noticed before, but there's a glitch with her leg breaker throw - it cost me a match against Dural, which was not fun since I almost kicked her butt. If you stand close to the ring at a certain angle and do the leg breaker, Vanessa steps back a little before executing the third hit of the throw. And, I ringed out as a result, but the last bit of the throw still hits! Dural just snaps her neck by herself when I ringed out (It would've KOed her). I actually found it amusing after I stopped griping about the loss.

In any case, thanks very much for all your help.

- ukie

6. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    One other note, can you tell me when the g+db or ub+k is useful?

To be honest, I don't use this move a whole lot, and from what I've seen of other Vanessa players (personally and in movies), it seems that I'm not alone. But looking at the properties of the move, it seems as it was intended to be used as a counter attack, similar to the G+u+P (or d+P). That is, use it in a situation where you're at a disadvatange by a few frames, and you should (in theory) evade the oppoent's counter attack and connect with your own. Of course, if you MC with it, don't forget to enter a f+P+G for a hold.

As for the "glitch" you witnessed with the throw, heh, that can happen with any character, and has been around in previous VF games as well.

7. ILuvVanessa

ILuvVanessa New Member

4. I'm just newbie at VF4 so maybe I'm wrong but I think for arrest hold knee, it only comes out if opponent uses their left hand to punch Vanessa and she gets neutral hold and throws or just reverses. Right hand punches from opponent get punished by the other throw/reversal.

That's why holds are called left hand hold and right hand hold. opponent's left hand hold and opponent's right hand hold would be more descriptive.

You see right hand punches at first because opponent starts round jabbing with right arm, finishing triple punch strings with right arm, and generally favoring the right arm except for a few power punches. Changing your leg position shouldn't do anything, but opponent changing his will give you more chances to catch his left hand.

But I only started playing a few weeks ago so if I'm wrong, plz correct me. I'm very interested in this game.