1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Hi, I'm new and VF rocks :)

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Guest, May 22, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi, I'm new and VF rocks :)

Hi everybody, the name's Third Eye and this is my story...

I used to play Virtua Fighter on Saturn often back around the system's launch. I never had a Saturn but my friend did so we used to play quite a bit and I always enjoyed it. Ever since I got a Dreamcast and Soul Calibur, however, my appreciation for fighting games has grown exponentially. I'm still not a big fan of 2d fighters, mainly because I'm not a big fan of 99-move combos. I like the deliberate, sheer strategy of 3d fighting games.

Now moving right along, a couple of days ago I went and picked up Virtua Fighter 3tb, and the obvious depth of this game has blown me right off my feet. I'm starting to learn a few moves with Lion and Lau, but I'm still a total greenhorn at this game and I haven't touched a VF game since around '95. I would be really appreciative if someone could give me some tips in terms of attacks, combos, throws, evading, all that good stuff :) Help a new guy out, will ya?

Thanks.

2. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

Re: Hi, I'm new and VF rocks :)

www.gamefaqs.com has some useful guides (FAQS) that would be a useful starting point, especially if you don't yet know all the moves :)

3. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

click on war city on our site.

good info for beginners

Oh....welcome to the world of VFers.

Enjoy ur stay

<font color=red>~~~SummErs' 'enemy SPODED, enemy DOWN~~~'

4. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Try playing all of the characters, just to get a feel for everyone. Specialize in one at first, then go from there.
    Oh, and find HUMAN competition! You miss out on a LOT playing the CPU only.
    Enjoy!

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=blue>DOG</font color=blue>

5. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Excellent! I was completely addicted to VF1, and lived in Vegas when VF2 came out... got to compete hard against a lot of serious international talent (read: 16 year old Japanese kids that don't know enough English to be polite about kicking the living crap out of you in 8 seconds or less). VF3 disappointed in the AI challenge level... I probably spent a hundred dollaz beating VF2, but have never been able to lose a VF3 game vs AI (the Evade feature was kind of a hunk of cheese). Also, VF3 took my favorite character, Sarah, and dressed her like a Hollywood Blvd. hooker... was not pleased with this. Since my "hardcore" VF days, I have gotten into the game industry myself, and have had the opportunity to meet some people that do the state/national competitions, etc. Sounds like something I would have done in my youth had I been aware, and I'm gearing up to maybe do something like that with VF4. Anyways, continue to TALK TRASH about all 2d fighters that masquerade as 3d... VF is still the ONLY true 3d fighting game besides Ballz and the Bushido Blade series. Got to go... need to find out if my girl Sarah is going to be dressed like a f&*king heroin addict again. I may have to write a letter to Yu...

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh hey me again... just reread your note. Definitely access the FAQs but here are a few quick tips.

- Understand that arcade and DC require completely different skills if you are a jumper (I am). The DC doesn't support jumping the way I am accustomed to it... f$#k!. So if you're playing DC I would stay on the ground, but a v, >^ kick is still a great opener, especially against humans, and backflips (if you have them) discourage proximity (although the characters without backflips tend to rock in close prox).

- If you hadn't remembered, Jacky is the easiest character to play... Akira is the hardest but he has the coolest looking moves. I would call Lau the middle character... highly versatile (and deliciously arrogant). Sarah is my favorite only because I favor fast kicks in all fighting titles.

- Kicks and throws that hit the opponent from the sides, as opposed to straight, are the genius of the game, and what separates VF from the herd. Pay attention to from which direction your attacks approach the opponent. Example: Lau's spin kick proceeds from his left to right. If the opponent is standing slightly to your left, the kick will connect sooner. If the opponent is standing directly to your right, the attack will connect very late. Once you can start paying attention to this, Evade in the correct direction (right or left) just before your attack: you will hopefully evade any opponent attack coming your way, and hit them much sooner with your counterassault.

- GET UP! I can't count, but am continually amazed by, the number of ways that you can get up off the ground. You can roll forward, back, sideways; get up in a sweep or kick, some characters (Shun, Sarah) are fantastic at playing dead. Experiment! I cannot stress this enough: USE this versatility in combination with the above tip about attack direction to get up in the way that best places the advantage in your hands.

- Use the full frontal assault with: Taka, Jacky, Shun, Lion

- Evade and hit the flanks with Lau, Pai, Kaga, Sarah, Lion

- Crouch/Block and wait for the opportunity to explode with: Wolf, Akira, Jeffry, Taka

- Exploit "range of range" (ability to hit opponents near and far) with Sarah, Jacky, Lion, Kaga

- "Button-mash" with - Jacky, Taka, Shun, Lion

- Aoi is pretty much undiscovered country for me.

- The above strategy tips are for beginners ONLY! A master of a VF character can utilize any of the above strats with facility... the reason VF newbies get their asses kicked by old hands is not that the old hands know the bitchin' unstoppable moves (like in other games... sigh). It's just that newbies tend to base their strategy on their character's strengths... thereby letting us know exactly what to expect. Once you've mastered your character's strategic strengths, start working on their strategic weaknesses... if you can play Sarah as a downlow grappler as well as a nimble kicker, you can surprise the living s$*t out of anyone. Take it from one who knows...

8. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Here's an old post I found helpful:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://virtuafighter.com/cgi-bin/versus/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=versus&Number=3378&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1#Post3378>Some basic stuff</A>

This is something Hiro posted to me long ago, reiterating some basics that pretty much all decent players understand (or should). It's been iterated in quite a few faqs, from players, and since the dawn of VF (pretty much before in other contexts). Hiro made a nice post back in October about it since I was neglecting it, so read it and think about it. When you play, if you're not sure what it meant, read it again. It's no golden rule or commandment, but many have called it common sense. I call it the big missing link for scrubs (blocking is important in VF/versus/images/icons/smile.gif)

-Chanchai

P.S. Two things comes to mind about VF and this post:
    1) Paper, Rock, Scissor (decisions, mindgames, prediction, etc...)
    2) Hand Slap Game (offense/defense roles established--failure makes defender, winner makes attacker)
    Note: As in any game with theoretical principles applied in some way, there are exceptions (but don't focus much on exceptions when you start out).

9. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

> The above strategy tips are for beginners ONLY!

errrrrrm. you'll _stay_ a beginner if you follow those...

10. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Rich
    U forgot to mentioned *forever*

<font color=red>~~~SummErs' 'enemy not SPODED, enemy not DOWN~~~'

11. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

"errrrrrm. you'll _stay_ a beginner if you follow those..."

Hey!!, he's lasted for almost 8 seconds against Japanese children with those strategies /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

12. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Why do u give him so much credit as well eh?~

<font color=red>~~~SummErs' 'enemy not SPODED, enemy not DOWN~~~'

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Wow, thanks for the welcome and the tips everybody! :-D

14. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Here's another faq you might wanna look at.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/dreamcast/file/virtua_fighter_3tb_b.txt>Virtua Fighter 3tb General Faq by GLC</A>
    I don't know when this thing came along exactly (recently updated this month), but it tells you all the general stuff (and more!) about the mechanics of VF3tb.
    The information is specific to arcade VF3tb and it is loaded with information from the VF3tb Gamest Mook as well as other translations and some articles by contributing authors.

An excellent read! At least if you have some/much to benefit from the information still, like myself. (also a good reminder of some things)

-Chanchai

15. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

The site doesn't allow access to docs from external hosts; this is mainly to prevent hotlinking from other sites. You can access the faq here:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/recognition/4412.html>GLC Profile</A>

Yeah I know, shameless self-promotion ;)