1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

hi, i'm new

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Guest, Aug 26, 2001.

1. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

I disagree - Sarah's pounce options aren't as good as Lion's.

2. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

He was asking why they are not considered as good?

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

3. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

Well, they aren't as quick to hit an opponent compared to, say, Jacky's equivalent pounces. Plus, she gets nailed if she misses her punce, though that can be said for other characters' pounces I guess.

4. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

it was fine in ob, where it was more or less equal to jacky's pounce. it sucks in tb. it's range is extremely short (think kage's head pounce short) and it's very slow. save for some obscure situations about the only time it can be used with some fair hope of it connecting is after her knee/elbow-knee.

kage's pounces may be crap, but he never needed it - he has the f,f+K and slide to make up for it. he can actually use the pounces when people kip, too. lion can put his pounces to use more than sarah can, after numerous knockdowns, combos and his FC throw. akira's pounce is _meant_ to suck.

--
    "What we got here is a failure to communicate..."

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

It's not bad -- it definitely has some applications. To get better range buffer in a dash before the pounce. Sarah's pounce will actually hit rolling opponents and that's a very useful property to take advantage of, especially in okizeme games.

I may be wrong, but it seems as though her pounce has a bigger hitting area than say, Wolf's. Also, it is less sensitive to slope, unlike Lion's big pounce.

6. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

I still say Lion has better pounces. When you can't use his biggest pounce, the double low kicks, mid pounce or his delightfully annoying, quick u/f+k will do nicely. Of course, you already know this Jeff, but someone asked so....

Another option when his biggest pounce isn't available is d+k then u/f+k. This also helps when you think the second of the DLKs won't connect.

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I agree with you...I guess the reason I posted is that just because Sarah's pounce opportunities may not be as many or varied as Lion's, that definitely doesn't mean they should be ignored. Her pounce is an integral part of her okizeme game and necessary for some of her maximum damage combos.

8. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Mr. Bungle:
    >>if a player tries to have fun with her (as yupa and clem try/tried), they'll usually get reamed.
    >>
    >>she gets my vote for most boring character in vf3. she was great in vf2 but
    >>sega sucked all the life out of her in vf3.

My sentiments exactly... well said. I didn't see much left to expand on with what Sarah could do in VF3, while I still had things to play with in VF2 even at the end of its life cycle in the arcades.

I'm looking forward to VF4 with an open mind now... and I'd also like to explore the new characters and all the new moves and possibilites that are available.

9. VIVI

VIVI Active Member

In VF2, I like using Akira and Lau. I think they are really powerful, back then.

In VF3, Lion with its b,b+K, combo variant is pretty fun to use. Akira played really different compared to how he is played in VF2. So is Lau :( VF2 Akira with SE follow up, is really fun. And low punch double into reversal, not to mention alot of Iai-kick combo. In VF3 Akira become really boring, Basically DLC everything that floats, and DLC is too easy to pull, they need to stricken the timing more so its harder to pull. VF3 Lau on the other hand is still play similar but no more UpKn rush, float is generally shorter.

I don't know about VF4, how is Akira and Lau in VF4 ? From the video Shun Di seems much improved. How about Aoi ?

I tried playing Jeffry, but I suck at him, Wolf seems to be easier to play with. Is Jeffry improved in VF4 ?

10. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

As an "intermediate" Sarah player I'd say the only big reason I can see her being not as powerful in VF3 is the elbow-knee. VF2 Sarah was awesome, yet still had bad throws, virtually no pokes, and bad recovery from most useful moves. In VF3 I can't just rely on hitting elbow-knee every time the other guy whiffs something, because it floats like a punt kick. This forces me to go for a dragon cannon every time I want to do a float combo (and even that doesn't let me connect the flipkick on a slope). The pounce isn't as good as Jacky's (as if he needed it), but at least it hits rolls/kip ups fairly well.

11. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

check out my akira and lion at http://www.geocities.com/virtuafightermedia

and see what you think (click on "bare knuckle's home videos")

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bare_knuckle93 on 10/02/01 07:15 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

12. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Robyrt, I'm gonna play snotty expert for a second here. Sorry in advance. You said that VF2 sarah had shitty throws and no pokes, and bad recovery on most of her moves. Actually only the first is true. In VF2 sarah was an excellent poker from hell. Her P, PKG, and elbow are the most obvious pokes, but she could also safely poke with PP(P) and end with the b+K if PPP connected. Up close she could do P-sidekick which was uncounterable. Elbow-knee was not uncounterable to everyone, but it was vs. jeff, wolf, jacky, shun, and I think lion. It was only PK counterable by the others. At longer range the d+K puntkick was very safe.. good recovery (uncounterable I think? Or only PK counterable?) and you could do a delayed sidekick followup 2 months after sticking out the puntkick.
    Anyway, the things that killed her in VF3:
    no huge damage from a punch combo. In VF2, PK, pounce was an easy 35% damage, and you could often get away with PK, high pounce. In VF3 it doesn't knock down. PPP,b+K was also a true combo for about 40% damage in VF2. In three it's not. It boils down to this - in VF2 she could dish out a ton of damage from one low risk, speedy jab.
    The second thing that killed her in 3 was not having that safe puntkick that always knocked down. Gone are the times you could just stick out a puntkick with little risk and tack on the canned sidekick (plus pounce) if it hits. It also sucks that the mirage kick doesn't consistently combo for a knockdown plus pounce in VF3. Anything else that was raped?
    Oh yah, you're correct, in 3 her EK misses all the time, and she can't get combos from it. Bummer. Even if she could get elbow-knee-pounce consistently in 3, she'd be more of a threat, but she can't, and the EK is so much more counterable.

The strategy in VF3, at least for sarah, was to pretty much take every single damaging 2 or 3 or 4 hit combo she had and screw it so that it no longer would combo was was risky to try. Jerky meanwhile got the excellent EK-pounce in VF3OB and LESS recovery on the combo. Plus those double low kicks. It's too bad.
    Incidentally, if you don't like sticking out the dragon cannon for floats, d+P+K, K is actually a pretty decent canned combo that floats for an easy d+K,K followup or kickflip. It's easier to dodge but not really any riskier to stick out.

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>

13. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

VF2 Sarah sounds almost scrubby in comparison to VF3...

14. Mr. Bungle

well, as with just about everything else, you're fucking wrong.

--

15. Mr. Bungle

PK only connected in full if the P connected as a MC, and i think mC (it's always been that way through vf1/2/3). PPPb+K only worked in full if the first P connected as an MC.

--

16. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

As always, you've managed to make a subjective opinion pass for an objective fact, and make yourself look like an ass in the process. Congratulations.

17. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

You've pretty much summed up how I feel about her development.

Adio.

18. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

No, not scrubby just secure and a hell of a lot stronger blow for blow. Sarah was transformed from an Uber aggressive fighter in VF2 into an agile poker in VF3. Lacking any real power without doing her PPPK variants I would base my style on chipping my opponents life away while constantly moving, looking for a mistake from my opponents instead of just rushing them in VF2. VF4 is the slight return of my "Psycho" Sarah but with less security and forgiveness like VF3. Though the new stance and throws really empower her now. So I think I'll call her "Phoenix" Sarah as a tribute to VF2 and a testament to the potential of the Flamingo in VF4.

Adio.

19. Mr. Bungle

if stating my opinions, and not really giving a shit what you or others think of me for having those opinions - if that alone bugs you, and makes me an ass in your mind and in the minds of other people like you, then i know i'm doing a good job. makes me proud of myself!

--

20. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Dude...why are you so fuckin' angry?

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu