An interview with Hiroyuki Miyazaki, Deputy General Manager of SEGA Japan Asia Publishing Division by Manabu Okayasu from the My Navi News website. It is a fairly detailed interview that not only focuses on Japan's gaming community but also discuss Virtua Fighter in other countries.
Please note the original article is in Japanese; however, you can get a fairly decent translation by Google on My Navi News website. Just note there could be some aspects of the article that gets lost in translations. Some of the main talking points from the article are posted here.
- On choosing to remake VF5FS instead of a new iteration of Virtua Fighter for esports: Sega's esports division was created in 2018 and the Virtua Fighter x esports project started in September 2020.
- Miyazaki does not rule out game balance changes if needed, but new characters and techniques are unlikely.
- Miyazaki joked how Sega has not always done stuff that generate profits. To my understanding of the article, the Virtua Fighter x eSports project was given permission to be made as part of Sega's 60th Anniversary and not necessarily that the game will generate profit for the company.
- Miyazaki stated that the Virtua Fighter series seem to be popular in Japan and the surrounding region, but less popular in the western countries. Thus, he was going to focus developing the game for Japan. However, more people in Europe and the United States have downloaded the game than in Japan. So they need to consider developing the game scene for both Japan and the overseas market.
- Okayasu asked about the downloads, and Miyazaki emphasized for a second time he wants to expand Sega's esports to other countries (tournaments).
Twitter user @gosokkyu has a thread translating a bit more from the interview:
Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!Dismiss Notice