1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Hiroyuki Miyazaki Interview on MyNavi News

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Jul 6, 2021.

By akai on Jul 6, 2021 at 10:26 PM
  1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    An interview with Hiroyuki Miyazaki, Deputy General Manager of SEGA Japan Asia Publishing Division by Manabu Okayasu from the My Navi News website. It is a fairly detailed interview that not only focuses on Japan's gaming community but also discuss Virtua Fighter in other countries.

Please note the original article is in Japanese; however, you can get a fairly decent translation by Google on My Navi News website. Just note there could be some aspects of the article that gets lost in translations. Some of the main talking points from the article are posted here.

July601.jpg

- On choosing to remake VF5FS instead of a new iteration of Virtua Fighter for esports: Sega's esports division was created in 2018 and the Virtua Fighter x esports project started in September 2020.

- Miyazaki does not rule out game balance changes if needed, but new characters and techniques are unlikely.

- Miyazaki joked how Sega has not always done stuff that generate profits. To my understanding of the article, the Virtua Fighter x eSports project was given permission to be made as part of Sega's 60th Anniversary and not necessarily that the game will generate profit for the company.

- Miyazaki stated that the Virtua Fighter series seem to be popular in Japan and the surrounding region, but less popular in the western countries. Thus, he was going to focus developing the game for Japan. However, more people in Europe and the United States have downloaded the game than in Japan. So they need to consider developing the game scene for both Japan and the overseas market.

july602.jpg

- Okayasu asked about the downloads, and Miyazaki emphasized for a second time he wants to expand Sega's esports to other countries (tournaments).

Additional Translation
    Twitter user @gosokkyu has a thread translating a bit more from the interview:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2021
    Chanchai, Myke and Adio like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Ali
      Ali
      I have previously come across a lot of comments on how SEGA lies about their sales and how they just plainly lied about VF5FS sales when they remarked they were good.

Now, multiple SEGA guys stated that the downloads exceeded their expectations, but where does this take us ? The game won't be free in a few weeks and it does seem to have a steep price of 29 dollars (if you want everything in), will the downloads after this becomes priced be taken into consideration ?
    2. faster 10 lightning
      faster 10 lightning
      if i remember correctly, last time I checked Final Showdown on Xbox360 had 40k-50k total players in leaderboard.
      I don't know the numbers on PS3 (where it was initially free on Plus as well).
      I remember Sega being happy as well, but I always thought the x360 numbers where pretty low, even a total failure compared to vanilla VF5.

When I started matchmaking in Ultimate Showdown the first days, the 10kyu was around 100k.
      Unfortunately it's difficult to browse the entire leaderboards (thousand of pages) to see the last numbers.

It's a free game so number are greatly inflated, but for once it's something good for us (more chances for VF6).
    3. Sonic The Fighters
      Sonic The Fighters
      I just checked, and the leaderboard count right now on Xbox is exactly a total of 87493.
    4. faster 10 lightning
      faster 10 lightning
      What? So it received a nice boost, who knows if it's thanks to Xbox One backward compatibility or to Ultimate showdown release...
      Sonic The Fighters likes this.
    5. Sonic The Fighters
      Sonic The Fighters
      Yes it's because the backward compatibility of VF5FS.

But SEGA made awful decisions with Virtua Fighter, and still today ...

VF5FS in 2012 should have been ported on PS4/XB1/WiiU/PC since the beginning ! Just like Koei Tecmo did with DOA5LR.

Virtua Fighter since 5 = awful decisions/management and bad marketing.

Same with VF5US, This game should be mutiplatform from the start on PS4/PS5/XB1/XBS/Switch/PC with cross play.

And we are next gen now, of course they have to think about a 4k patch and graphics upgrade soon. Because it almost cost nothing for "SEGA" (big company) to add 4k textures and remove this ugly aliasing.
      faster 10 lightning likes this.
    6. faster 10 lightning
      faster 10 lightning
      I think apart VF5 vanilla (being a more of the same made everything easy for Sega), from 5-R to Ultimate it really shows the series desperately needs Yu Suzuki direction, in both game design and global management.

Final Showdown was a bad idea since the beginning, in 2012 the game was already 2 years old (with fans crying for years for VF5 R port...), and they made it digital only with barebone content.
      Too little too late, in fact it basically killed the series.

Ultimate Showdown started with the same errors: being digital only, bare bones content, online multiplayer focused (you can't dismiss single player and local multiplayer), exclusive to one platfrom (without even being optimized for PS5 next gen) etc.

It's just like they barely tried, knowing the game was already doomed even before release..
      And the problem now (for Sega) is the game instead is success (well kinda, it's always a free game), so they are totally not ready to improve VF5US, let alone make a brand new VF6 that isn't just a more of the same with casual mechanics.

Also Aoki while he seems a nice guy, he really seems to lack ambition.
      I don't feel we are in good hands unfortunately.
      Sonic The Fighters likes this.
    7. Sonic The Fighters
      Sonic The Fighters
      Well we'll see...

I hope VF will have the same treatment for the West as Yakuza or Judgment, or even Super Monkey Ball recently.

SEGA has no excuse now, because they have seen that a real and huge audience was ready for Virtua Fighter, despite the average VF5US and the terrible release.

And Harada just exposed them, saying if he was a SEGA dude he would start to make a VF6 right now, because of the VF hype and VF5US success !
      Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
      faster 10 lightning likes this.