1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Hitel Tournament Clips @ No Mercy (Korea)

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by Chanchai, Mar 13, 2002.

1. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Look, Creed, I feel bad for how far this has gone. I do feel a bit of an asshole but I think my point needed to be said. Keep in mind that I actually tried to pass my original message forward in a facetious, non-threatening manner.

That's as much progress as I could hope for in less than a week I guess.
    I talked to the guy who filmed the tournaments and felt like a bit of an asshole myself. This in no way makes the bullshit you've come up with any more palatable though: between anonymous "so-and-so's" and phantom "egregious errors" I'm devolved from a halfway respected poster to gudamy's bitch to an utterly incompetent and arrogant asshole.

A handful of random koreans might buy the "gudamy's bitch" part, but the 'incompetence and high horse' bit is only in your world, you're in the minority here. Dozens, maybe hundreds of helpful, friendly, and absolutely correct posts back that up.
    Take a second to mentally redefine nonthreatening, 'I posted mostly to knock CreeD off his high horse' is not nonthreatening in tone or content.

2. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

but the true test of mettle comes in real match play. This Vanessa player has done it; many of us have not. Those who have not should not criticize those who have.

Fuck that. Am I to understand that I am disallowed to have an opinion of someone because the best I've gotten in a tournament is 2nd place? You've just erradicated the jobs of pretty much every single sports writer/telecaster in the business (which, actually, I don't consider to be a bad thing).

If I think something you can be damn sure I will say it. To deny me that right is keeping with a very distrubing line of thought.

GE

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with the crux of what you're saying.

Am I to understand that I am disallowed to have an opinion of someone because the best I've gotten in a tournament is 2nd place?

In my perfect world, if you mean what I'm trying to say, then yes, but it's not my perfect world. =) That said, like I mentioned before, I have no problems with "that style is boring" or "I didn't learn anything from that match." But stuff like he's weak, random, doesn't understand initiative...well, people should be more careful when they make that kind of an assessment.

If I think something you can be damn sure I will say it. To deny me that right is keeping with a very distrubing line of thought.

Well, I'm not that dogmatic, and if I wanted to "deny" anything I would be asserting my moderating privileges a little more aggressively. People can say whatever they want about other people, but not all opinions are valid.

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Yes, I do feel that I've gone a little too far in this thread, and have said more than I wanted to. Let's put this behind us.

Take a second to mentally redefine nonthreatening, 'I posted mostly to knock CreeD off his high horse' is not nonthreatening in tone or content.

Well, the non-threatening thing was in reference to my original post:

"Jeesus Creed, no offense or anything, and I haven't seen you play, but if I had to bet between that Vanessa player and you, I put all my money on Vanessa. It'd be the easiest...*checks wallet*...$5 I'd ever make."

5. GodEater

but really, jeff. Regardless of the validity of an opinion basic freedoms demand that those opinions not be supressed. Your "perfect" world is not perfect at all. In fact it is rather insidious.

GE
    -sigh. assuming, of course, that both of us have escaped the vagaries of text and what was meant was written.

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'm not advocating suppression. Like I said, if I did, I would be asserting my moderating privileges a little more liberally.

I am criticizing what I think is out of line. It is an opinion of an opinion that I hope other people will begin thinking about.

In my perfect world, there would be no need for rules of moderation. People would have the modesty to refrain from doing what Creed did, of their own free will.

7. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

> People would have the modesty to refrain from doing what Creed did, of their own free will.

asshole motherFUCKER. creed did NOTHING wrong, you two faced retard. he did the same thing you did, which was give an opinion. however, UNLIKE you, he backs up his thoughts with logical assessment, while you repeatedly contradict yourself while you go on an inane rampage of hypocrital bullshit.

babelfish translated your line above from asshole-speak into english: "i want people to conform to my own twisted vision of reality."

8. Mr. Bungle

> Maybe you should run that through Babelfish a couple of times if you still don't understand the logic.

it's not logic. it's hypocritical and contradictory, plain and simple. you are making a completely blind assault on someone that you know absolutely nothing about for certain. yet you squeal like a stuck pig when this someone comments on something that they do see, plain and simple in front of them, because they haven't met some bullshit specifications which, of course, only you are the judge of (or even aware of).

you only wanted to insult creed for the sake of insulting creed. all of this bullshit afterwards is just a half-assed, utterly pathetic attempt to cover your ass and excuse yourself from the original post. anyone with half a brain and experience dealing with your disgusting, child-like way of thinking can see this clearly.

9. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

man this is better than our FL threads!! /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

10. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

It is rather entertaining, isn't it? Let's see how long it drags down further/versus/images/icons/wink.gif

-Chanchai

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

There's only so much one can say before people just start repeating themselves over and over... *shrug*

12. Mr. Bungle

or, in your case, decide/realize that you've made such an ass out of yourself that you should stop...

LAST WORD! HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAHAHAHH.

13. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Re: Okay this kinda has gone enough me thinks. . .

I'm only speaking for myself when I say that I think CreeD's initial comments regarding the Vanessa player were of poor form, and if that's what ice-9 was trying to say then I also think he could have said it a little better. Anyway, I think CreeD agrees now that what he said wasn't very sportsman-like towards the player, even if one assumes he has no presence on this site.

It's often too easy to judge a player by watching him play. People who have had their matches caught on video are familiar with this, and I'm behind Hyun 100% when he says, "You can't judge until you get to actually play against him."

My opinion of the Vanessa player was that he wasn't overly impressive, but then what do you expect in a tournament? He certainly wasn't a bad or weak player IMHO, and my hat goes off to him for getting so far.

14. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Eh, I kind of agree with Mr. Bungle (this is just me personally, don't wanna step on any toes here). I think posting criticism of a vf match is not especially different from saying "I can't believe duke's the ACC champion, they suck." ... the difference being that that comment doesn't have any reasoning behind it, while mine cited at least some impressions.

To rephrase my earlier post,

I can't believe how weak some of the moderators on this board are. They randomly attack legitimate posts and don't have an understanding of the difference between an opinion and a personal assault on someone's reputation.

15. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I apologize it went that far, I did not intend for it to happen; but ultimately, I stand by what I said.

16. GodEater

The text is all that matters.

listen, I'm the last person who wants threads like these to get out of hand but I am continually plagued by the Respond Response. I hold to my guns that CreeD did nothing--mark this, nothing--wrong by saying what he said.

He did exactly what others have done in the past: Render an opinion based on information that was available. This is--in places of learning--great form. Most people seem to think they are Sherlock Holmes and need to "read between the lines" but CreeD stuck to what he was given. The text. He took the book and gave a judgement using the text (the video) to support it. Very few people in this place take the time to do that. Ever.

In other news, Graham posted a video of Robbie versus Johnson and I fielded a bunch of replies (mostly on IRC and before I logged everything) about how they expected better of Robbie, how he seemed robotic, weak and easily beatable. No one got upset or sought to diminish the person making the comments.

Video Clips are like anything published and released to an audience, out of the controlling hands of the author and open to judgment. Big Screen Attractions, plays, television shows, debates, short stories...these things are not inviolate to criticism if they are allowed to become public; in fact, they invite it. CreeD asserted the freedoms allowed a person with a mind and the ability to use it and guess what? He remained perfectly ethical in his treatment of the clips because he stuck to what was available.

The author is dead, guys; as soon as a work is published they no longer have a voice or control over their product. It doesn’t matter if he’s Irish, born in Germany, wrote while high. In the games’ context it does not matter if the people involved are Tetsujins, tournament winners, four years old, the envy of all. What matters is what is printed and made available.

You will notice, I hope, that when Hyun made his clarifying comments about the tournament (and by extension the player in question) CreeD actually modified his position. New information had been made available and once again, CreeD stuck to the text.

If my hats off to anyone its to the person who kept ethical in his treatment of a debate that devolved rather quickly into sad and child-like posturing.

GE
    -by the way, you are perfectly suited to judge the performance of any player prior to playing them. But likely, in degrees, you will judge in error. Nothing is as straightforward as it appears. Reducing a beautiful and wild event (life, the expression of) to a static cross-section allows for many important thing (like language) but is often fraught with many kinds of peril and the largest is the fractioning of intelligent, passionate people who might otherwise create great works together.

17. Mr. Bungle

[dumbfounded]
    ..you can't have it both ways, chimp. basically you're saying this:

"creed, i apologize for saying that you suck. creed, you suck."

are you at all capable of making a statement that isn't two-faced, hypocritical and contradictory? you really are the lowest of the low...

18. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Re: The text is all that matters.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

listen, I'm the last person who wants threads like these to get out of hand but I am continually plagued by the Respond Response. I hold to my guns that CreeD did nothing--mark this, nothing--wrong by saying what he said.

<hr></blockquote>

There's nothing wrong with his opinion. It is his opinion afterall. All I'm saying is that it could have been stated in a better way, yet still conveyed the same message, and would have easily avoided the backlash it has generated so far.

My 13 year old brother plays Soccer and has a league match every Sunday. I've lost count of the number of times I would hear a parent or some random person yell out negative criticism at one of the kids on the field. My heart literally sinks, and it's one of the ugly aspects of weekend sports that I'm now getting accustomed to, though I still don't like it.

CreeD's comment reminds me of little Timmy's father standing on the sideline, commenting on how stubborn the center midfielder is, "bloody hell, he never looks to see where he's kicking the ball, how many times must I tell him? He keeps doing the same thing over and over again!", then followed by another shout across the pitch at Timmy, "TIMMY! Who were you bloody passing it to?"

Sure, Timmy probably wasn't playing as smart as he could/should, but there are better ways of providing feedback to him, or critiquing his play. The point is, Timmy wasn't bragging about how he was the best player on the team, he never made any false claims about himself, all he wants to do is play Soccer the best way he knows how. Someone who is arrogant and overly confident in themselves is more open to harsh criticism -- don't promise what you can't deliver -- IMO.

And that's all I was trying to say. Comparing the Vanessa player to a 12 year old kid playing Soccer probably isn't the best analogy, but it's probably more accurate than comparing him to a high-profile Basketball team.

OK, so at the end of the day, maybe I want everyone to hold hands and be friends and get away from this "You suck!" mentality I see prevailing at many gaming forums. I know it's really not possible, because so many have forgotten how to be humble. So just excuse me for caring.

19. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Myke, I find your analogy bordering on cheating, an almost insulting way of making the point. Heartbroken timmy hears direct feedback from asshole dad... yelled in front of all of timmy's peers... and he's only 12 so he doesn't have much mental armor... and a little 12 year old can't be expected to be super-competent at a complex and physically demanding sport like soccer, can he? It goes on and on.

It's got nothing to do with what I said, and is half as accurate as a national televised team.
    Timmy's not being criticised by a player or even necessarily a former player, a national team is (after every single game and twice as much after a tournament).
    Timmy has no mental armor for this sort of thing, the poor wee thing is twelve. The vanessa player is not 12. He can handle my post and even see it objectively as partially constructive criticism (i.e. maybe I can capitalize a bit better after staggers).
    Timmy is being critiqued in front of his peers, our Vanessa player is being reviewed by people he's never seen or met, and probably never will.
    Timmy's just fucking around in saturday league, so why should anyone take it seriously enough to make the harsh comments dad made? While the vanessa's in a 100 man tournament, which is as serious as VF gets in this country and probably korea.
    Lastly, Timmy's 12, he doesn't necessarily have to know any better. His coordination and strength aren't at their peak. But what's a guy in his late teens or older have as an excuse?

Let me shorten this up. If you're saying I should have made my point with kid gloves, I say a twentysomething who's being filmed and broadcast to the internet should be pretty well prepared for any kind of harsh critique, assuming
    A: it ever got back to him and
    B: he gives a shit about what some scrub VF gaijin thinks.

20. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I had to post. This was most entertaining. lol. While reading these posts I'll give all of you the priveledge of reading my "opinion" on each one of you.

Creed- Good guy, somewhat short tempered, not to say you suck or anything. But "Maine?" Dawg, you've got to play people everyday to get as good as "Koreans" are. What comp do you have in Maine? CPU on EXTRA HARD?

Bungle- Dude Ice-9 couldn't have said it better, your a fly. Where did you come from on this topic? Although your posts are extrememly right wing and hardcore up creeds ass. Stay out of it. Unless your sleeping with creed. Then you can stay. lol. J/K =).

Ice-9- Bet your thinking man I just should have clicked another thread. Oh well you can't win them all. Leave it alone =). Go watch some NCAA games =). Your pointe was seen by the "general reader" way back. The more you respond the the less respectable you get. "leave it alone" =)

Myke- Your the head cheese, if you say he sucks........................he sucks, if you say he doesn't.......................he doesn't. =)