1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Hori Fighting Edge EX

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by JHow77, Mar 9, 2012.

1. JHow77

JHow77 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JHow77
  2. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

Wait, is it for PS3 exclusively?

3. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    The FS stick with the akira cover is PS3 exclusive, however the blue stick with FS logo is both consoles.

Problem, 360 users?

4. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

Not for me. I have a stick and it didn't cost me anywhere near what those are going for.

5. AnimalStaccato

AnimalStaccato Well-Known Member

13,800yen works out at £106 (thanks google) which is about the same as the Qanba stick and a third less than the current TEs. It's priced pretty competitively but may be a higher price when it's released outside of Japan(?).

6. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

19,800.00 JPY = 240.058 USD
    13,800.00 JPY = 167.313 USD

I don't consider any of those prices competitive. I bought my SF stick for $75 new then swapped the buttons for another $6.

7. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    Heh. I got my SF stick for $30 Canadian and then bought sanwa parts for a few bones. Jelly, GE/Boris?

8. AnimalStaccato

AnimalStaccato Well-Known Member

If you bought it for that then it wasn't a TE right?

Well everything's cheaper across the pond I guess.

And anyway I wasn't saying that all of those prices are competitive. I was saying that based on the retail price of the other two sticks, the HORI is priced competitively.

9. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

I'd love to keep my VSHG until xbox720/PS4, and mod it again.

10. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Can't remember what the retail price for the TE was here, I know mine cost a lot less because my local store was struggling to get rid of them, every time they get sticks in they're guaranteed to be 50% off or more within a few weeks.

Don't really like the look of that FS stick, artwork is meh and i find the colours of the buttons odd. I'd pick one up if they were sold over here but doubt i'd use it instead of the TE or VSHG.

11. Kikimaru

Kikimaru Well-Known Member

PSN:
    kikimaru024
    Don't forget though, the Fighting Edge EX is a MUCH bigger stick than most (3.5+ kg, 1.5x size of a TE).

Think of it more like a smaller, slightly-cheaper VLX [​IMG]

12. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

1) Sorry for making an extra thread, should have looked harder lol.

2) Not to compare this premium stick to the old Agetec Dreamcast Arcade Stick *cough*... But the refinements and ideas put into the stick itself reminds me of the mod that formerly of Chicago player, Shota, applied to the old Dreamcast stick back in the VF3tb days.

Of course Shota's mod was a household solution, but he basically stuck a type of washer (I think it was a concave rubber washer) into the stick to reduce the range of the arcade stick. This was a very tight movement area, but it basically ensured that you moved the stick just enough to click the micro-switches and almost nothing more.

Maybe Sal and the NY gang remember what I'm talking about, but it was pretty cool.

I think the original intent though was also to make sure you didn't get the Agetec stuck in the corners because that happened very often on those lol.

13. wingchun_warrior

wingchun_warrior Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

ordered mine day 1 cant wait its sick

14. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Around PAX time I got to put together a small VF session and Steelbaz joined the party and brought his Fighting Edge, so I finally got to try one out.

I really like the Fighting Edge! It's very tempting to get one... Execution was superb after 20 minutes, I swear my struggling was a little faster, the really good impressions creeped up on me without me really expecting it. Not used to the touchscreen interface yet. I think my only real concern with the stick is if the stick and buttons wear out any faster than the usual Sanwa. That said, it shouldn't be an issue, all of my sticks still feel pretty new (I think I have the only VSHG stock in the world that isn't squeaking, same with my HRAP PS2) so wear and tear really shouldn't be an issue. These sticks didn't seem loud at all either, but that's not an issue (yet) as my daughter seems to sleep through VF action.

That said, considering my current arsenal of sticks (PS3: HRAP PS2 + converter, VSHG, Eightarc Fusion TE, HRAP VF5FS, Hori Cheap/360: Eightarc Fusion, TE, Hori Ex Cheap), I think I will assume Hori will release the Fighting Edge for next gen consoles when more fighting games are announced. So I'll probably wait for next gen to pickup an Edge.

The biggest (first world) issue, is that because of the dual modded feature of the Eightarc Fusion, it is my default stick for competition. VSHG, HRAP VF5FS, and Fusion all feel very different from one another simply because of the case/shell design. That said, the angle on the Fighting Edge felt most like my Fusion anyhow.

steelbaz likes this.