1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Hori Real Arcade stick?

Discussion in 'Console' started by thebradSHow, Aug 1, 2004.

1. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

Has anyone gotten to play on it yet, and if so, does it suck? Is it awesome? Feedback ASAP is appreciated

2. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Used one at Evo2k4 (Japanese VF player had one with him). Very nice. Buttons have a slightly longer travel than a Hori Evo Stick.

Big footprint.

Joystick has good springs. I think mukatsuku_shun said "the lever feels like sex."

If you have a Hori Evo stick and aren't sure about replacing it, I think a Sanwa button upgrade as done by Kimble could suffice. That's what I'm going to do first.

3. thebradSHow

What do you mean by "longer travel" on the buttons? Delay after the buttons are actually hit? The buttons seem like they'll last longer? I'm just confused by the terms. TY for the info

4. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

Longer travel means the buttons can be pushed down further.

5. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Dandy_J said:

Longer travel means the buttons can be pushed down further.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Owned, you dumbass

6. thebradSHow

Chuck, You want me to serve you??? I'm black and I'll do it in a HEARTBEAT!!! /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

You're black, but I got white power, bitch. Bow down and respect the master race, or something like that.

(this taunt has been brought to you courtesy of the Race Card. Serving stupid motherfuckers everywhere since 1776)

8. Street

Street Active Member

If you mean the monster silver stick that has just come out and weighs 4kgs, my one has just turned up at home. When I get there I'll test it and let you know all about it tomorrow.

9. thebradSHow

Just so everyone knows, I opened it up and it is a very good design. It would be very easy to replace any part you didn't like. It has a sanwa what looks to be J-stick but with a different shaft. The buttons feel just like the sanwas traditional style button. And also, it is very good for playing a lot of games. Yesterday alone, I played R Type Final, VF4evo, SC2, CVS2 and Tekken 4 on it. All of it feels very good and natural on it. A very good buy if I do say so myself.

10. Mr_Frankie

Mr_Frankie Active Member

I'm interested at how good it's sounding so far from you guys, can anyone give me a link to a pic or description of it and where they sell it? Thanks

11. cheatah

cheatah Well-Known Member

You can get it at:
    www.ncsxshop.com
    www.play-asia.com
    www.lik-sang.com

Keep in mind that shippings gonna be expensive since its about 4kg each.

I ordered mine a few days ago and I'm expecting it to arrive sometime the beginning of next week. Gonna try some VF4evo and 3rd strike on it.

From pics others have posted on shoryuken.com it does seem very mod friendly. The stick is indeed sanwa so there's the possibility of changing the restrictor on it from the standard square to the octagonal one. Also from what I can tell the buttons of semitsu and not sanwa. But semitsu buttons are almost exactly like the sanwa buttons. It'd be hard to tell the difference no matter what the situation is.

cheatah

12. Street

Street Active Member

I posted this on NTSC earlier, for what it's worth -

The stick is WICKED. It feels like it's coming from deeper down than the other Hori ones, with a little bit more travel, like the ones in Sega's vs city cabs. It springs back nicely to the middle, meaning you get the feel for the length (steady) but you get to keep the speed of movement, making dashing in VF and the like still cool. It also means that I'm missing diagonals at the moment, since the new stick is a little different, but that also happens to me in the arcade. Once I adjust I'll be a BADASS MOFO. Or not.

The buttons travel a little more than the usual hori sticks, but that doesn't impede Akira's knee in the slightest. Infact, if anything the fact that you slam the button a bit more means knees are easier.
    Position of the buttons isn't ideal. It's not as good as the evo stick, because the bottom row is more in line with the top row. Whilst this is no problem for my small hands, it might prove a problem with big white dudes playing VF. Not KOF or SF2, they're still cool. It's like you have to choose to go close to P or far from P with G (VF). Also, you use the buttons in the middle of the stick, not on the far left, which means that at the start of the round sometimes you're hitting the wrong button. That problem will disappear after a session though.

Control configuration C, not A. Get me, blood? (Again, VF Evo)

Saying all that, any problem with the buttons is EASILY outweighed by the excellence of the stick. I put it to you that the reason why it's so big is because they had to make it deeper so that they could accommodate a stick like wot is in the arcades, which perhaps isn't possible with the depth of base on the Hori Evo and SC2 sticks.

I haven't tested it with the Magic Box yet.

It's fucking MASSIVE. It came in a big brown box and I thought "Christ, did they have to add so much packaging?" Then I opened the box and the stick's box fit exactly inside the parcel box. Tremendous. I have already thrown it away due to a lack of space. The box, not the stick.

13. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
  14. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

Street,

Let me know how well it works with the Magic Box...I could use a new stick for Xbox as well

15. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

That looks nice. It looks alot more durable than the evo stick too.

What's a good online store to buy this from?

16. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

I got two of these about a week ago from www.ncsx.com.
    Just pointing some things out. This joystick is a lot better than EVO/VF4 sticks. It's has that solid feeling (as in if I slam my fist into it, I worry about hurting myself instead of breaking the thing). The stick has that clicky feeling that confirms your command inputs. The buttons feel about like those in the evo/vf4 sticks. When you play vf, you'd have to set the button config to Type C and use 3 out of the 4 middle buttons. The button layout is slighty off from the normal gpk setup but it's close enough. Of course you can use custom setup and use the left buttons, but why bother?
    One problem I have with the RAS is the stick's deadzone is too small, when I tap b,b very quickly I end up just tapping b once and not return the stick to neutral enough for the 2nd b. Top with the stick being tighter than my evo and c22 stick, movement becomes a headache. Also compare to the c22, the buttons on the RAS feels cheap, and as a personal perference I don't like having 8 buttons stuck so close to another when I'm only using 3. Sometimes when doing Akira's knee the other buttons get in the way. Since I don't play other games, the extra buttons are useless.
    Bottomline: This joystick is a wothy upgrade from the evo/vf4 sticks, but still not a c22 replacement..

17. Mr_Frankie

Mr_Frankie Active Member

Holy crap that stick looks cool! I just wonder if the joystick recess is a square or circle. I'm sold if it''s circle!

18. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

Since it's based on Japanese arcades, I'm guessing that it has a square recess.

19. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    When you play vf, you'd have to set the button config to Type C and use 3 out of the 4 middle buttons. The button layout is slighty off from the normal gpk setup but it's close enough. Of course you can use custom setup and use the left buttons, but why bother?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably take the back off and make full use of the quick disconnects by rearranging it for VF. Looks nice and easy to muck with if you need to.

GE

20. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

I'm actually gonna do that tonight /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif