1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

HOT DAMN!! Did you people see these movies of vf4

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by adamYUKI, Jun 13, 2001.

1. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Check out the avis on this page.

http://www.ruliweb.com/data/rulinews/read.php?num=3859

Especially the last one - a movie of the new girl. Man o man...you gotta chek out the lighting effects (especially in the last clip) - absolutely gorgeous!! Also chek out the particle effects and real time deformation of the snow when she tackles Jacky into the snow!! Also, chek out the bystanders cheering!!

Also...chek out movie 3. Akira has a cool way of getting on the other side of the opponent after his df+pg throw. His alternate costume is AWESOME!!!!!!!

Do yourselves a favor and chek out these movies.

After watching THESE particular movies, there is no doubt that IMO, this will be the best-looking fighting game. All doubts are alleviated - at least for me.

My apologies if this has been posted already...

<font color=red>Jyunen hayaindayo!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

2. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Re: HOT DAMN!! Did you people see these movies of

> Akira has a cool way of getting on the other side of the opponent after his df+pg throw

...he just bodychecks over wolf. after KO, to boot. i wouldn't put too much money on seeing that in the final version; probably just a beta bug, or something that hasn't been ironed out. there aren't any stop animations, either.

> His alternate costume is AWESOME!!!!!!!

eh, it looks like the standard pallette swap with a few alterations - same as in vf1, vf2, and vf3. zzz.

so far the play looks just like vf3. PKG, throw. low punch flowcharting. block rising attack, mC with dbpm. wheeeeee. and these players have the reflexes of a sloth - you'd think they'd attack when seeing him charge up his DFS. and i still think those hit flashes are utter crap.

stages look nice. animation looks really jerky and awkward. hope they iron things out before release.

> My apologies if this has been posted already...

the first two movies have been around for a month or so, but the other three are new, afiak. thanks for letting us know.

3. Vicks Biru

Vicks Biru Well-Known Member

Movie 1 and 2
    We've seen this before!

Movie 3 and 4
    You are SO Right about Akira's Cos 2. In those earlier movies I though it was a cheapo colour change of Cos 1 from the character select screen, but it looks amazing! Wolf (I assume it's him) has swapped his cowboy hat for those raccoon skin thingys... The Japanese plum blossom stage and the Shaolin temple stage are amazing... no prizes for who these stages will go to. [Personally I think Aoi should get that plum blossom one, but fate hates me... so...perhaps not.] Akira was doing those [can't remember what you call them] attacks (his b,f+P+K) where you charge up and supposed to be completely vulnerable but the pro point is that it is full of power... If you guys noticed, this move was done in 2 ways throughout the movie, the slow charged up one and the normal one. Also, there is fainting (less dramatic than SC but better animated than DOA2) at K.O... it is so awesome. It's at the end of Round 1, Akira vs Akira. The impact lighting's yellow is much too fluorescent... if it is toned down even more the impact lighting wouldn't be so distracting... but maybe it's just the quality of the movie.

Movie 4
    A match between Akira and Lei-Fei. Some new damage animations and old VF2 ones... and Lei-Fei seems to have 4 or 5 stances... I especially like the crane one... similar to those AOU movies.

Movie 5
    Vanessa! First movie of Vanessa! YEah yeAH!
    She's slick, fast, lethal. Judging from the movie, she's quick (think Sarah but not Pai), she's powerful (thing Wolf). Her stance is like Jacky's, but she's so different! She charged at Jacky like Would would, and during a match with Akira she did a couple of dodging blows (a better implemented VF2 d/b+P, but NOT P+E) then while he was stunned she came in for a Sarah b+P+G style throw. I think I saw another Vanessa throw in the wrestling ring... if you've played Last Bronx [VF4's stages are a bit last Bronxish, with 4 sided fenced rings and that city helipad stage] it looks exactly like Yoko's P+G throw. And there was an Aoi style throw too. And the wrestling ring was featured! The rumoured crowd is true! There were so many people jumping up and down and all around... too bad the quality is not good enough to see the graphical standard of the audience.

P/S The movie's starting led me to think it was the AOU movies AGAIN. Thank goodness I was stubborn enough to stay on. These movies have made my day... well, back to doing my homework. GROAN!

P/S/S: I tend to type without thinking so pls don't mind the spelling errors and the dyslexia in the text, or that what I say doesn't follow. I'm easily distracted, which really explains why I'm online and not doing my homework. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

WOW! I'm finally using <font color=purple> markup! </font color=purple>

<font color=orange>Imagine losing to this bozo...</font color=orange>

4. Vicks Biru

Vicks Biru Well-Known Member

To Mr Bungle... Akira's black costume is NOT in the range of VF1 - 3. It SEEMS like it but it is not. Look carefully... no offence.

Right, I'm going to do my homework now.

Oh, who am I trying to kid...

<font color=orange>Imagine losing to this bozo...</font color=orange>

5. Mr. Bungle

feh. it's essentially pallette swap. similar if not identical pants, similar shoes and top but with some slight tailoring differences. his vf3 P2 black gi was even more of a drastic change over the vf3 P1 outfit, comparitavely.

and does suzuki or katagiri have some fetish with knees-to-the-crotch throws?

i do like the new non-knockdown KO situation, though. and what's up with white akira's right leg twitching away from black akira's whiffed low punch?

looks like akira has a new low kick, looks like vf3 wolf's. his df P K knocks down differently, too, much like kage's b,b K G.

6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Thanks for notifying us of the clip/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Hmm.... hit flashes are now more clear to me. They are pretty bright. Wouldn't go so far as to hate them at all, but I don't really like them. They kind of remind me of... Street Fighter the Movie and Rai-yu *I mean Ryu* doing a "fireball" (as long as we don't have that gay-ass Dragon Punch from Ken in the movie as well...).

The "Wiggling Green Phallus" still doesn't bother me (ALSO COMES IN RED!). Not that it floats my boat either.

Chargeups... Glad they don't flash. Seems like it's a welcome addition, but a few questions gotta be answered before I judge... How fast is execution when the person decides to unleash the charge? Is the effect proportional to how long you press it? Or is it just going to go all out with a full charge when you hold the button for a certain amount of time?

I like the stage with the leaves. At first it seemed kinda small to me, but I'm glad it's actually a good size and not as small as I thought. I do like the leaves on the stage of course. On a side-note, I remember the Last Bronx stages being rather large.

I, personally, do like Akira's new uniform. Maybe it's not a huge departure from the Akira norm, but somehow I do like it.

Introduction of Vanessa.... The "New Comer" eh? hmm.... sorry, but seeing that had me in an immature middle-school mood (seeing the introduction for her, I mean). I honestly very much like what I see of what they are showing of her so far. But I think she looks like she is floating a bit when she hops around. Could be just me...

The pace of the game feels similar, yet something about it makes me feel it's a bit different. Better or worse, who knows.... but I guess I'll have to say I like it. To me it seems like on one level, it "looks" faster, but when I watch it, it plays the same speed as VF3... Don't know if anyone knows what I'm rambling about or feels the same way... I think it's just that animations might be more filling or something...

Overall, I like/versus/images/icons/smile.gif I probably won't be going giddy until I play the game though.

-Chanchai

7. Gnug315

Gnug315 Well-Known Member

Looks a lot like VF3, more so than VF3 looked like VF2. Looks faster, but that might be because I'm not used to the graphics. Lei Fei looks deadly. I liked Akira's block of a lowpunch 56 seconds into VF4_3.avi - while standing.

I'm definately seeing some tekkenish stuff in it, but imo the problem with Tekken is the hit detection that derives from it's inferior physics system or whatever one calls it, and VF4 should have none of that problem, so I can't say I mind this.

Looking forward to playing it. Damn I hope we get it here, the arcades aren't doing too well...

- Jan

8. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Well, organize "The Coalition for VF4 in Copenhagen/versus/images/icons/smile.gif"

Heck, as far as I know, the Toronto guys (don't know how many) went so far as to harass their local arcade operator to get a tb machine (or board, I guess). I'm definitely harassing the arcades around here, but of course I can't do it alone...

Don't know how much VF4 will be though... But you never know, wishful thoughts have been granted every once in a long while/versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

-Chanchai

P.S. I couldn't see the crowds too well in the 5th video... If I saw correctly, they didn't look that great, though it was kinda nice that they were there, but I hope they look really good in the final version (I'm sure they will look good).

9. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI

feh. it's essentially pallette swap

Sure its not drastically different, but look at the last movie again. At the very end of the clip, the clip stops just as he does his winning pose. You can notice that aside from the trimming differences, his blue/purple(?) gi seems closed at the chest while his white gi exposes his beefed up chest. That alone indicates that this is not a simple pallette swap - I personally think it is way more drastic than vf3 akira costume difference.

Yu was talking how he wants offense and defense to flow together for the first time, instead of having them separate. From the videos, it didn't look that way. Maybe it was the characters fighting, but I didn't see any flow to those matches.

Also, he mentioned that he didn't want characters knocked down anymore before the end of the match. I saw a ton of bodies flopping on the ground in the middle of the match, between those three videos.

<font color=red>Jyunen hayaindayo!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

10. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Also, he mentioned that he didn't want characters knocked down anymore before the end of the match. I saw a ton of bodies flopping on the ground in the middle of the match, between those three videos.

Maybe Yu was referring to the quick recovery system. I'm assuming if it's done at the right time, the fighter would appear to be stumbling, instead of falling to the ground. Judging from what Rich said about the reflexes(or lack of reflexes) of the players, I can see why bodies were flopping all over the place.

<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=blue>DOG</font color=blue>

11. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Vanessa just looks too cool. Forget Lee-Fei and his stiff ass, I'm definitely gonna try and learn Vanessa first. I thought it was previously reported she was going to use Muay Thai, but guess not. Her style looks more like traditional wrestling and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, but there's still a bit of kickboxing influence. I'm not complaining, her throws look awesome.

One thing that really has me worried is her moves seem very DOA2 canned combo-ish (something Lee-Fei suffers from as well). I hope this isn't the case with the final version. One more thing, in the fourth video, there's an instance where Akira gets knocked down but almost immediately does a handspring up. Not sure if this is a quick recovery or not.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah I didnt see any of that Jacky Chan style, back and forth like we saw in the demo video. The games looks to play like VF2 Speed, or at least a bit quicker than VF3. From what I can see, a good VF3 player will have a huge advantage over non VF3 players. I hope to see what YU was talking about, giving newbies a chance to win on strategy alone against the "expert" players.

It amazes me though that if you see tons of cd punches, why no one would try to hit them out of CD+P, or back up from the second D+P.

CrewNYC

13. Mr. Bungle

>gi seems closed at the chest

it's not buttoned or zipped or anything, it opens up. look at him when he's low punching.

>Maybe it was the characters fighting, but I didn't see any flow to those matches.

the players were pretty much monkeys, too. wheeeeee b,f P K over and over!

>I saw a ton of bodies flopping on the ground in the middle of the match, between those three videos.

i agree with gnug, the standing game appears to be more or less vf3 speed. however they rise insanely fast, much faster than tb.

why the fuck aren't my " " signs coming out? f P hello? can you receive my 's? god i hate these fucking messageboards.

14. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Toronto has a great standing of obtaining VF games. We still have a 2.1 machine at Funland.
    I have no doubt VF4 will make a speedy appearance.

cheers,

<font color=white>Llanfair</font color=white>
    <font color=orange>Booyah daddy mac! I'm stylin!</font color=orange>

15. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    plus signs and akira comparison

The reason why your plus signs aren't appearing is because you've got spaces around them. I can't say why they disappear, but they just do, so ensure that you don't have any spaces around the plus sign: b,f+P+K.

Regarding the new Akira outfit, I don't think it's simply a pallette swap. The bottom of the trouser legs are tied against the ankle as opposed to the flares of White Akira. The bottom part of the gi-top is different again, having a few slits/tails whereas White Akira's is one piece. Finally, they have different shoes on.

16. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Re: plus signs and akira comparison

some stuff I noticed:

Akira's new outfit does seem pretty different in mood. It always seemed to me that the classic (2,3) 1P costume was the more "chinese/kung fu" version, while the 2P was the more japanese one (reflecting the chinese roots of Hakkyou Ken and Akira's japanese nationality/ethnicity respectively). The new costume feels much more chinese to me, with the thin, flaring tails on the front of the Gi, the cuffed pants and slippers (as it was before), and the closed Gi with white trim and high, closed collar. The color is cool. Seems the red belt is now maroon. I'm pleased. Does he have something on his back?

Wolf looks like a dork!

I wonder if Akira's d/f+P+K always knocks down now... It seems in clip 3 akira is cancelling his escape into a SDE and Tetsuzanko pretty seamlessly/quickly. I noticed that while Lei Fei is standing on one leg, a rising attack knocks him down, while otherwise, even counter hit rising attacks seem to have the same result as before. I can definately see execution time on akira's Shin Iha (d/b, f+p+g) throw; unless that's just the new animation. I can see it on the d/f+p+g too. I guess the new down animation for the b,f+P+K is to absolutely prevent combos after it, as it now puts the opponent even more off axis.

Can we ring out people when they are pushed by blocking a charge attack? It seems to push pretty far. I like the new guessing game after it breaks your guard. If akira went for the b,f+p+g after the guard break... potent. Nice to see there's time to react ala Lei Fei.

Vanessa... YES! Fans of mixed martial arts/NHB fightings' prayers have been answered! A while back I posted what I'd make if the new character desing were up to me, and Vanessa is almost exactly it! Takedown to mount punch, tackle, Muay Thai type strikes, arm bar... awesome! I hope she has a complex ground game such as options from the mount, and not just ground "throws" like Aoi/King. I'm excited about her. She looks like a crazy animal when she's elbowing wolf with her wild hair.

Still can't tell what's up with the jumpy stamina gauge. Seems like sometimes Lei Fei keeps a little energy, but it's hard to tell. I don't even notice the flashes ot the shaking stick unless I'm looking for them. I think all the animation is really smooth and nice to look at, except Lei Fei who still looks a little jerky at times. He seems annoying to fight against.

The stages look great. I only wish we could step out of the ring to fight among the buildings, trees etc.

These new clips put to rest some worries I have after the last batch. I can't wait!

Spotlite

17. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hmm..just a thought - you notice the damage Akira is doing? That and the bounce combo the monk gets off?
    Ohh...Vanessa's throw with the knees goto the chest......

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

18. Mr. Bungle

Re: plus signs and akira comparison

will (can?) you people read?

pallette swap - no, it obviously is not; i didn't say that's what it _is_ - i'm saying it might as well just be one (->"ESSENTIALLY").

to me, any comments about how impressive the new costume is sort of like jabbering on about how yellow vf2 kage is so distinct and unique and interesting compared to blue vf2 kage.

ooh..it's dark! and it's got frills! it's AFUCKINMAZING, YO!
    please. give me a break.

and i am not placing any spaces around my plus signs (WhyTF would i do that???!?!!). f P; b,f,f P K, df P G. see?

19. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

fuuuuuucki!

I can download them, but I can't seem to view them on my Media Player!! !@#$%^& Someone want to send me the latest mplayer codec?

20. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Re: fuuuuuucki!

What the hell? Just downloaded version 6.4 and it still won't run??