1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

HOT DAMN!! Did you people see these movies of vf4

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by adamYUKI, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Re: fuuuuuucki!

it's divx encoded, if that bit of info makes any difference.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

yeah he's gonna need to download the divx codec. I dont think windows automatically downloads the DIVX codec. I think media player is on version 7 or 8 now too.

CrewNYC

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Wait did anyone else realize that some of vanessa's moves look incredibly similar to Zack from DOA2? pp, d+k d+k, p triple kicks, and triple elbow grab.

CrewNYC

4. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Where wouldja go to download the divx codec?
    I'm in the same boat as Ice-9.
    And I have version 7 of Windows Media Player if it makes a difference.

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=blue>DOG</font color=blue>

5. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I posted this awhile ago. It's still up on my Engineering webspace.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.engr.orst.edu/~saenguni/cs261/Stuff/divx_3.11alpha.zip>DivX;) Codec</A>

-Chanchai

6. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC

While some of the moves are layed out like Zack, I don't think she moves like him at all. If she's like another character, she seems like Bruce from Tekken to me, and a little like Bryan (the spinning elbow). Overall, I found her attacks remind me of a character from the UFC game. The way she smashes Akira's neck before holding him is exactly like Tsuyoshi Kosaka's gillotine choke animation (the beginning of it).

All these referneces make sense though, if she's supposed to be a modern mixed martial artist; kick boxing, based in Muay Thai, is the striking art of choice for most of those people. Even though there's been no formal announcement of her style as of yet, I'm pretty sure it'll either be Vale Tudo, Kickboxing or Muay Thai. She's even pretty much built like Zack and Bruce. I think Vanessa already seems much cooler though.

Even with the Divx plug in, it still wouldn't run on my (admittedly old) mac. Gotta say I have always hated the Windows Media Player.

I've been wondering if in the versions we're seeing movies of, the new moves have been added. I haven't seen any new commands yet. Anyone else notice how twice when the oppt. was in the air, Akira did a regular standing kick? Were they trying the knee; has the DLC been removed?

What do people think about the possibility of loosing the special guard animations (like the low rising attack going right through Akira)?

Spotlite

7. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I think the divx plugin I put on my space is for Windows. Probably why it didn't run on Mac. But I wouldn't know, don't have access to a Mac at the moment to test it out.

In any case, if for whatever reason, the plugin doesn't work, just look it up on a search engine like www.google.com or www.hotbot.com or something.

I personally do like Vanessa in look as well as what is so far shown of her. Looking forward to seeing and feeling how she plays in the final version.

-Chanchai

8. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

go to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mac.divx.st>http://mac.divx.st</A> for mac divx player stuff.

9. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I have 6.4 because, according to Microsoft, it's the latest version for NT. Damn, don't tell me I need something higher. I downloaded and installed the Divx codec, but not only did the VF movies not run, nothing else .avi would!! Does whether or not you have a certain level of Direct X matter?

10. ThePrince

ThePrince Well-Known Member

language!

Hi,

Ice9 when you install the divX it creates a program group on your start menu. You then have to go there (start menu -> programs -> DivX ;-) MPEG-4 Video Codec, then execute the "Run Me First !!". Then you should be able to view the movies. Just incase you hadn't done that.

I just managed to download the movies and view them, the game looks nice, very similar to VF3 in terms of gameplay, Actually seems to play a little like that Konami game a few years ago called Fighting Wushu ( I think) anyone remember that game?

I think Vanessa is a good character, I like her moves. I just quickly had a brief look at the movies but haven't really watched them closesly yet, I'll do that when I get home.

The game will most definitely appear in London in quite a few arcades, so we shouldn't have a problem. I think if the guys in Denmark don't have access to it at the arcades there, then we'll see them here in London I'm sure ;>

11. Vicks Biru

Vicks Biru Well-Known Member

Hair.

This is a really ridiculous post, done out of boredom really. Please don't bomb all your flak on me for just saying all of these. Leave now!!!

So you stayed.

You guys probably know that animating hair in videogames is one of the most tedious processes of all. WIth over 100,000 on a person's head, good animation of hair is a tough job. Yet VF4 has done it.

In VF3, trying to animate single strands of hair was done on Sarah. If you recall, her ponytail was segmented into various dreadlocks (not to be confused with C2) which resembled Lisa Kusanami from Last Bronx. Hair was segmented very badly (for magnification of this hair, see Honey FV2's hair...), and this was seen in Shun's beard as well.

Then came Soul Calibur and stylised shiny hair. On characters like Sophitia and Siegfried, there was shine on their hair, if you recall. It looked VERY good as real hair, but this shine wasn't real time shading, and the hair was clumped in predestined blocks, such that hair moved in big chunks at the same time in the same way (like the castle flags in the VF4 snow stage), if you get what I mean. This is very evident in Sophitia (those with SC, view the character bio mode and watch the hair and you'll see what I mean.)

Then came DOA2. Shine on hair again, but yet it wasn't real time. If you looked closely at the hair (there were 2 cinemas of Ein and Helena, and during panups you can see that the hair is a furry texture. Hair didn't move except for extensions (pigtails, ponytails) but they moved as a whole. Helena has a killer 'do but when she fights you can see the slow movement of the ponytail (try this: d/f+K, P+K and you'll see what I mean). In addition, physics of DOA2 hair is one of the worst I've seen for today's standard of physics. Hair goes through the floor and cuts through the body (see Kasumi in the intro). Not that VF3tb was free of this, but DOA2 was on Naomi!

Now for VF4.

Sarah's ponytail moves as a whole. However, the movment of the ponytail is smooth and techniques have been used to make it appear like the hair was made up of many many polygons for each individual hair. In the AOU movies, there was one point when Sarah looked up and her ponytail was slung over her shoulder. If you noticed, the ponytail's ends were frayed extremely finely, which gives the amazing illusion of individual animated strands of hair.

Pai doesn't really have a problem with that old hairstyle of hers. I did expect AM2 to give her a new hairstyle.

Aoi does have a problem though. The hair that hangs over her cheeks are extremely stiff (as seen from the AOU movies when she bowed to greet Kage) and the ponytail is... well I couldn't see much.

But it is Vanessa that really takes the cake, and it is because of her that I have decided to write this [time wasting] post. Hey, I didn't even put it out as a single post.

Vanessa has free flowing hair, and this is a giant problem in costume design. Free flowing hair is... well... free! Unlike pigtails or ponytails, loose hair is not restrained at all and is difficult to animate. How may characters have had free flowing hair in 3D games? In fact, Sarah's VF3 C1 hair was too free flowing in the wind.

In the latest movies, if you observe her hair, it is also frayed like Sarah's. This distances itself from neat haircuts in SC and DOA2. In addition, layering of hair is done so individual strands of hair look very animated. As her moves are very quick and strong, her hair really swings around, and when her back faces the screen you can see how the hair just folds over the back.

So what is the point of this post?

Not much really, but just to highlight how good looking VF4 is.

SO why hair and not textures and stuff like that?

Well, ever since SC dished out their shiny hair and ever since I read a Newsweek article on Dinosaur, I've always noticed how hair is animated. I mean, textures and graphics will always improve but a gaming company's ability to do good hair really shows their skill.

And that's what AM2 has.

OK, this is so soppy. I'm going to take it off soon.

BTW, Vanessa rocks! And Fighting Wushu has a monk character too if I'm not wronk.

I mean wrong.

/versus/images/icons/wink.gif

<font color=orange>Imagine losing to this bozo...</font color=orange>

12. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Those nasty b,f+P+K combos...

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I guess the new down animation for the b,f+P+K is to absolutely prevent combos after it, as it now puts the opponent even more off axis.

<hr></blockquote>

As opposed to the old animation which allowed for crazy combos off the bounce? What version of VF3 have you been playin? /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

btw...did you cut this out with editing...

cheers,

<font color=white>Llanfair</font color=white>
    <font color=orange>Booyah daddy mac! I'm stylin!</font color=orange>

13. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Re: Hair.

That was one of the most entertaining posts I've read in a while, bravo!

14. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Re: language!

Hatim, I've gotta admit I'm confused. I didn't know such a thing was supposed to appear...I had installed Divx on my PC back home and hadn't go through such a procedure. In any case, I've checked my Start menu but, nope, there's no such thing. I also checked my Program Files folder just in case but no Divx folder was created. I did install it though, because in my winnt folder, System32, I see the DivX_c32.ax and DivXa32.com files.

Anyone has any clues?

15. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Re: Hair.

Nice post there. Vanessa's hair was probably one of the most amazing things in the video for me. I remember seeing Sarah's ponytail in VF1 and thinking how good it looked at the time, heheh.

16. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC

Jeff, I had the same problem. I installed the encoder plug in for mac, turned it on, and nothing but sound. I tried realplayer as well, and it kept going to the real player site to download MORE stuff it said I needed, then finally told me it didn't have what I needed to play them. I ended up having to watch them at kinkos (where I didn't have to install anything)! It's really annoying.

Llanfair, you're right. I guess I was just noticing how much more pronounced it is now. I remember how when 3 came out, if you got a big counter hit with the move, it seemed like you might be able to do something (even though you couldn't); but here, you can tell instantly you probably can't do anything.

Spotlite

17. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Re: plus signs and akira comparison

to me, any comments about how impressive the new costume is sort of like jabbering on about how yellow vf2 kage is so distinct and unique and interesting compared to blue vf2 kage.

In vf2 kage's case, the major changes were due to pallette swapping, but I don't feel that's the case with vf4 akira. The differences I mentioned before have enough weight to support the claim that vf4 akira p2 isn't "essentially" a pallette swap from p1. You're saying that what essentially makes the two akira's different is the different pallette, but I'm saying it's the differences in the character modelling (particularly the clothing).

FWIW I think this argument is ridiculous and bordering on fan-boy waffle ;)

and i am not placing any spaces around my plus signs

There's a known bug with the current version of the scripts in that any plus signs "+" will disappear after a post has been edited. It has nothing to do with an earlier bug (which has been fixed since) that involved plus signs disappearing if they were surrounded by spaces.

The bug fix will be put in as soon as it's found.

18. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

I ended up having to watch them at kinkos (where I didn't have to install anything)! It's really annoying.

Kinko's, eh? Hopefully that'll work, since I've tried downloding the divx codec. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new characters in action.

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=blue>DOG</font color=blue>

19. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

God, is there a Kinko's here in Hong Kong?

I'll probably go to find an Internet cafe this weekend to DL them. BTW, has anyone checked out IGN? They have four movies there, I assume at least three are common to the ones posted here. You guys should probably take a look just in case: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ps2.ign.com>http://ps2.ign.com</A>

20. ThePrince

ThePrince Well-Known Member

OK, I went onto a windows NT machine to try it out myself and you are correct, nothing is in the start menu, however I started the movie and I got the error message, then I closed the error message and the movie played. Try again I guess, otherwise I guess you're machine just a bit wierd. ANyway there's a multimedia icon in the control panel (take a look around in there), you can also try add/remove programs -> windows setup tab, and try uninstalling video compression then reinstalling it again.

Who cares, you've probably already seen them by now anyway!