1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

HOT DAMN!!! Tekken 4 pix!!!

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by adamYUKI, Jun 14, 2001.

1. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Just cause this will be VF4's competition - chek these pix out for early visual comparisons...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Too early to say for sure, but graphics do not seem as nice as vf4, although poly counts on characters does seem very high. But then again, Namco rendered cg-quality characters in TTT for PS2. Many people were thinking that the PS2-based Tekken 4 would (visually) put vf4 to shame, overall. I don't think that is gonna happen - not even close.

I hear it's already testing in Japan. So, maybe these pics are from a near complete version?

<font color=red>Jyunen hayaindayo!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

2. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

The textures on the floors and backgrounds look bland compared to VF4.

I wonder if they are going to tone down the floating cause if you have TTT- esque floating whats the point of walls. One Mishimima type uppercut woud send you over like three walls.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

3. Guest

Guest Guest

The only thing I'm worrying about VF4 on PS2 is that THE FLICKERING -- non anti aliased objects PS2 hardware itself owns at the moment -- may not be overcome...
    And as an aside, characters thrown away in the movies look too light compared to previous 2 or3. I even felt like I was looking at Fighter's Megamix 2 though so impressed with the graphical quality. and Lei Fei's motion anime really sucks !!!
    I don't have any interest in Tekken series -- boring puppets' play.

4. Vicks Biru

Vicks Biru Well-Known Member

I'm not impressed.
    Tekken never really won the match of graphics in earlier incarnations of the series, except maybe VF3tb vs Tekken Tag. But what surprises me is that a lot of my friends say that Tekken looks better and that VF is just crappy ol' polygons. I have looked at Tekken shots and in the arcades, but I just can't see what's so impressive about them compared to VF.

I still think AM2 is taking a wrong move in returning back to square flat rings and removing Taka. I don't really mind the rings but I'm still peeved over Taka. I just don't believe that we can't do something about it. I mean, no one wants him out, right? A petition over some big web site like ign.com could just sway those people at AM2 over.

[foolish dreams? no.]

<font color=orange>Imagine losing to this bozo...</font color=orange>

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Well, what they are trying to do is to make a different successor of VF2. (it was in some interview a couple months ago.) It seems that people here like VF3 so much that they can not take this fact. Since VF4 is stemmed from VF2 not VF3, it seems understandable to see square rings, crouching daches, defended rising kicks etc in VF4, which are not in VF3. (What we have in VF3 is dashing crounching, which is different from crouching dash.)

HIRO

6. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

>it seems understandable to see square rings, crouching daches, defended rising kicks etc in VF4, which are not in VF3.

by that logic, then, we should be suprised to see the walls, non-knockdown rising attacks, non-knockdown PK, throw escapes, and whiffed throw animations in vf4.

this extension of vf2 tagline is such bull. right off the bat it has far more in common with vf3 than vf2.

if suzuki wants to place more emphasis on realistic animation, which does show in the movies, than more likely than not the blocked rising attacks we see now is just a beta abberation, with stop animations not yet implemented.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Mr. Bungle on 06/15/01 05:10 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

7. nascarbryant

nascarbryant Well-Known Member

I wonder if ring outs will be implemented.
    Yes i agree, why did they remove Taka, Yu said because he was unpopular, common i don't believe that. Sumo is such a magnificant fighting style, i know the mainstrem thinks it's to fat guys pushing each other out of the ring. Taka was a very special Member of the Vf-bunch. He was the fatso .The other fighters with their athlet-bodys, probably better reflect the mainstream-bodyshape- taste.

Maybe a petition would work, so Taka would come back in the next Vf-update(VF4tb......hehehe)

8. nascarbryant

I agree Lei-feis animations look quite bad, maybe too bad.....

9. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

I still think AM2 is taking a wrong move in returning back to square flat rings and removing Taka. I don't really mind the rings but I'm still peeved over Taka. I just don't believe that we can't do something about it. I mean, no one wants him out, right?

I'm not trying to flame or bash you, but I don't get it. During my limited experience playing the arcade VF3 (never played arcade VF3tb), I saw one person playing Taka. For the most part I saw Sarahs, Jackys, an occasional Jeffrey, and mix of others. When I went to the gathering in New York, I saw two Takas. And I don't remeber seeing a lot of posts discussing Taka or asking for tips or whatever.
    So why are people missing him all of a sudden when hardly anyone plays him?
    I've never played him competitively, but I do have appreciation for him. Will I miss him? Probably not. Am I glad to see him go? No.
    But VF4 is trying to be different from VF3. Some things were added, some were dropped.
    In my opinion, it just doesn't seem like Taka was that popular before it was made known that he wasn't going to make it into VF4.
    Again, I'm not attacking you.

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=blue>DOG</font color=blue>

10. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

I think the fuss might be is why remove taka? Seriously? WHy remove him? He's a great concept character, so why not just keep him and vamp up the polys on his character model and give him a few more moves? In fighting games, as a general rule, more fighters = longer lasting gameplay.
    I personally have no affinity towards Taka..but it would be nice to have him in the game still..

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

11. Vicks Biru

There may be few Taka players, but that does not mean that there are NO Taka players. Taka is a great character to play against if not to use, and I still think that 'not enough players' is not a reason good enough to keep him. Who cares if VF4 is meant to be seen more as a sequel to VF2 than to VF3? Then Aoi shouldn't be in! What are they going to do to the story? Pretend that VF3 never happened!? Or take it that the 3rd world fighting tourny was scrapped at the last moment? That Taka had a heart attack and died!? VF isn't like any of the other fighting games where kicking out characters doesn't matter to anyone. Not even Soul Calibur or DOA, let alone Street Fighter and the infamous KOF retrenchment of characters in '99. If Sega knows that people want Taka, they'll bring him back. Changes have always been made to the next incarnation due to the response of the people, and this is seen in VF2 style damage in VF4 again... but a lack of response in Taka does not warrant a boot out this! Mark my words, very soon we will be begging for Dural as well.

Now on to Dural. Have we seen her except for that horrid shot in the AOU movie? My ****, it's like seeing Lei Fei naked. Does AM2 not have the guts to show her? Are they afraid that Dural's graphics will disappoint again from what they claimed even way back then in VF3.

*huff*

Cooling down, what do you think are the chances that our Lady in Chrome will return? Maybe they haven't shown her.... due to the fact that they will be doing real time reflection including the characters reflecting off her.

I think I'll be starting a Taka petition soon. I'm not going to let this pass without even a try. At least I'll know that I have tried to do something abt it. I'm in a bad mood.

12. nascarbryant

Then count me in as well for the petition.

I think a good fighting game has to represent a lot of different fighting styles. And sumo definitly belongs into a good fighting game. I watch sumo very often , and believe me Taka was a very well done character he's moves were very "realistic" they looked much better then fei Leis moves (in terms of animaton). If you look at the Vf-rooster you see only to real throw characters(Pancratium jeff and wrestling wolf), Taka was also some kind of throwing character, even if i have to admit, in sumo, handattacks(zuppari) are also very important. Taka had a good balance between throw moves and hand attacks. I don't know how Taka would fit in this new fast VF2 concept.......but still i am convinced Takas missing is a great loss for VF4. even the aikido founder Ueshiba practiced sumo. In the past sumo was quite different and had exellent killing moves, which were used on the battlefield. Sumo is and was quite special, much more special and different then many fighting styles in Vf3-4. In some way Taka's missing is a cultural loss for the Vf-series and a downgrade for the pluralistic rapresentation of fighting styles in this magnificent fighting-simulation game.

cya

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by nascarbryant on 06/16/01 07:59 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

13. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    hi rez cumparisons (originally posted on gaming-age forums):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im tellin' ya...I can feel it in my bonezz - the PS2 will handle the poly count with ease, but as these pics show, the lighting and textures on the PS2 version of VF4 will not equal the Naomi 2. I'm a lighting whore and the lighting in vf4 is just too intense/dynamic for current consoles (PS2 and DC) to handle.

[​IMG]

--proud member of the CVFC--

14. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver Well-Known Member

hey adam, those tekken shots make me cringe in agony... maybe in laughter - and doubly so when paired with vf4 shots :)

anyway, has anyone been to the newly opened official tekken 4 website? there's some system info - I found it laughable at best. seemed like last-minute additions, underimplemented and sloppy - just like the "sidestep" back in t3 ("look ma, walls!") - I seriously doubt they will be anything more than a gimmick.

I'm actually hoping the game will get at least something right, since it's almost guaranteed that the cheap arcade operators who proliferate in this country will buy the board - tekken always sold like hotcakes here (like everywhere else, I presume). I like playing versus, period - however, the chances for the game actually being mildly interesting are getting pretty slim - there's many patterns still carrying over - blatant rehashes of old characters (there's a new capoeira lady, get this, who was trained by eddy gordo's trainer - duh), and we'll undoubtedly see the flood of derivative, ridiculous time-released sub-characters that has plagued every single namco fighting game; probably the invariable, physics-free face up, feet towards juggle system will make a triumphant return! whee.

it's not even worth discussing; it's such a terrible, terrible pity that vf4 will never see the light of day here - maybe on Gameworks, but I still doubt it.

"Juu'nen hayain dayo!" ;)

15. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Seemed like Tekken 1 didn't fare well in arcades in the US if you ask me. But that's only based on my exposure... I only found one machine in Las Vegas back then, and one in Oregon as well. Couldn't find a machine elsewhere, but it's not like I looked hard (though I personally enjoyed playing the game back then too--VF2 was my priority though). Tekken 2 was doing decently well, but didn't really start getting popular until after the PSX version was released in the US.

We still have yet to see how VF4 does in the US. At least VF1 and VF2 did really well (for games that run on mid-res monitors, how in the world did those two games get such mass distribution in the US?!). Not that the success of 1 and 2 says much for VF4. But I guess Tekken 3 did ride on the success of Tekken 2. In the US context of course.

-Chanchai

16. Vicks Biru

I hear laughing.

On PS2 IGN...

Christie Monteiro reminds me of Vanessa somehow... mixed with Hwoarang.
    Craig Marduk is remiscient of Sanman of FV.
    The shots just show that Tekken 4 isn't going to beat VF4 in the graphics department. It looks even lousier than TTT! Now only DOA3 and the next installment of the Soul series are left to topple. [I'm not going to say SC2... I mean the sequel to Soul Edge / Blade was Soul Calibur] But strategy may surpass VF4's... undulation is in there. But other than that everything is like so passe.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Tekken trash 4

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ruliweb.com/data/rulinews/read.php?page=1&num=4014>http://www.ruliweb.com/data/rulinews/read.php?page=1&num=4014</A>

18. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver Well-Known Member

Sega's had a history of making it hard to convert cabinets - it's been getting progressively better; Naomi boards have a relatively hassle-free setup, providing you have a 24Hz monitor/tube; I don't know if the display specs for the N2 are the same (I suppose so), or if it will require a 31Hz setup;

What that means is that it's been ridiculously expensive in the past to get a Sega game - cabinet costs are huge, and transportation is a real problem; there is no Sega in Brazil per se, nor any official arcade distributors, so that makes it even harder. Add to that the skyrocketing of the dollar as compared to the local currency, and you have a surefire receipt for almost no VF. Arcade tokens here are really cheap (around 15 american cents), aside from malls, etc - this may seem strange, but mall arcades are generally lousier than the lousiest standalone arcade. Anyway, even Naomi boards are very very rare here; although not quite as rare as Model 1/2/3;

I'm hoping for Gameworks, since Sega owns a part of the franchise, but the last time I was there was a bit disappointing. They had some interesting (and expensive) stuff like two linked F355 cabinets, 8 (?!) Crazy Taxi full-fledged cabinets, and Brave Firefighters (which was on the Hikaru board), which got my hopes up for VF4 being available, but they also had age-old clunkers like Indy 500; Fighting games were scarce, I only saw Soul Calibur and Spikeout (which isn't even a fighting game per se) - no VF3 machine in sight, OB or TB - but then again, the game is several years old, and given the lack of a VF following in Brazil (duh), it probably wasn't seen as profitable; Then again, a Sega-owned arcade not sporting any VF machine whatsoever was a sore sight. It's in Rio de Janeiro, but I'd gladly take a trip every single week (and it's a looong drive) just to play the game.

19. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Re: Tekken trash 4

for some reason the pics on the ruliweb page didn't come through for me, but I clicked on the G-para link and saw them all. Anyone notice the PS2 memory card slots on the arcade machine?

Overall, I gotta say This must be early, 'cause it just looks so plain. What's up with paul's flat hair.

It's funny how on the T4 site, the captions under the gameplay pics say things like:
    "With the new ability to change positions, players will be released from the stress of being driven into a corner and beaten.  Careless opponents who are convinced of their victory will find themselves driven to the wall the next moment.  Continuous tension and excitement are the basis and pleasure of fighting games."

Like they've discovered the new world in fighting game design: walls! It's be like Wendy's making a burger just like the Big Mac and saying "multiple layers of meat, bread and cheese create tension in your mouth which is the basis and pleasure of hamburgers!"

Oh and my other favorite:
    "Tekken 4 is no longer a simple exchange of blows on a line, but instead allows for clever tactics and reading one's opponent."

nice description of why I think Tekken is so weak: SIMPLE exchange of blows on a line.

Spotlite

20. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

>Naomi boards have a relatively hassle-free setup, providing you have a 24Hz monitor/tube; I don't know if
    >the display specs for the N2 are the same (I suppose so), or if it will require a 31Hz setup;

Naomi 1 and 2 offer two resolutions via (I believe) a switch on the board - standard (low res, 15khz) and VGA (31khz).