1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How big of a gap VF6 graphics will be compared to VF5?

Discussion in 'General' started by Adamay, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

I know graphics are not the most important thing in a game but I was wondering how much better VF6 will be compared to it's predecessor and to the other 3D franchises such as Tekken 7 and DOA6.

VF has always been ahead of it's time graphically leading to their home console ports not being able to reproduce the peak of the technology of their arcade counterpart.

There's never been such a huge of time gap between installments in the VF franchise so the expectations from fans and casuals will be huge.

These is a comparison between DOA5 and DOA6 for reference:

GustavoHeisenberg likes this.
  2. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

I think sega will hopefully be able, to make VF6 character models,
    look close to the models, used in the character cg artwork, for VF5.

And of course, the stages and characters in VF, will hopefully be
    brightly lit and colourful. Which is something I always admired,
    about the VF5 games especially.

In other fighting games, the lighting and colours and textures etc.
    strangely looks mostly dark/dullish. Or uses a dark colour palette.
    I know they normally do that, to speed up rendering time and other stuff etc.
    But when I saw the VF5 games, on Xbox 360, with bright colourful graphics
    I was like......Wooah! Ho Ho! O_O

And if they make an arcade version of VF6, I'm really curious to see
    how the graphics, and character models will look.:)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    GustavoHeisenberg likes this.
  3. GustavoHeisenberg

GustavoHeisenberg Well-Known Member

Ray tracing bois, hopefully it won't be half-backed when they release it in arcades around 2022

beanboy likes this.
  4. GustavoHeisenberg

GustavoHeisenberg Well-Known Member

I think it'll be better than the artwork because of the likely far superior hair physics.

It they innovate the game on animations - to look like action films, then there won't be juggling combos but their spirit will be retained with a different implementation

5. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

Assuming that there will be a VF6, it'll be interesting to see if Sega creates their own engine or goes with something like UE4. Tekken 7 looks pretty good with that engine, but there are problems with Bamco having made that choice. There were some nice touches in the earlier games that are either too difficult or impossible to implement with UE4, such as water sticking to characters depending upon where contact is made. I'm guessing that this is the reason for why these features aren't in Tekken 7.

The worst problem is with the input lag. Harada kept making excuses for it, one being that the lag was intentional in order to make up for the latency online. However, the truth is that it wasn't under Bamco's control because they were using an engine that they didn't develop. AM2 might be able to save a lot of time and money using somebody else's engine, but I would prefer if they developed their own. I'd miss the effects for which VF is known for having, such as water physics and sand deformation. I've yet to find the latter better implemented in any other game. Having a proprietary engine will hopefully result in less input lag too.

I hope that the character models are still developed as well as they have been to date. I think that they're better than Tekken's, especially with the customizations. Tekken's characters have nice default costumes where details like textures for stitching are present, but then the custom clothing usually consists of plain colors with those kinds of fine details missing. That detail is all there in VF's customizations.

I think that the backgrounds in Tekken is where the game has VF beaten, so I hope that there are improvements made to them. Get rid of the sprites and give background characters, vehicles, etc. more detail. The biggest difference to the graphics will partly be due to the engine, but mostly due to the artists.

6. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

As @Libertine said, the big question is the engine. Will Sega see fit to create their own? If they figure they can use it for future projects, it makes more sense financially.

I'd even accept a game that looks like vf5 now, but it would be great for Sega to continue the tradition of VF showing off their latest board and/or tech for graphics.

WolfKing and beanboy like this.
  7. Jason Elbow

Jason Elbow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Havent Sega been making their own engines when it comes to vf?

WolfKing and beanboy like this.
  8. MadeManG74

Traditionally yes.

WolfKing likes this.
  9. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

What about the Yakuza Team's Dragon Engine?

10. SSfox

SSfox Well-Known Member

Since VF5 was out since a huge while, i guess the gap should be super huge with VF6.

11. MadeManG74

It'll really depend on if Sega wants to invest heavily in VF again. I think they wouldn't mind if they have a new engine/hardware to show off, because if they can turn heads with VF it'll pay off with later uses especially. Having said that, I think VF would be a good money maker in itself.

SSfox likes this.
  12. beanboy

I kinda hope that sega sticks, with their old engine for VF6.
    I believe it's an engine, that was created, due to a joint venture,
    with Lockheed etc. That engine is especially amazing, at what it can do.
    Even I'm kinda curious to see, what more sega and am2, can do with it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  13. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

Iol at how SEGA avoids the question about Virtua Fighter, like this beloved franchise has never existed for them now...

But they have no choice !!! Fans will never give up, and SEGA will have to work hard to make our VF6 godlike haha !

The thing that i don't like the most with VF5 (FS or not) graphics is the outdated art style of costumes for some characters, i hate clothes from the 2000's.

I want to see new stages too (more like VF3 & VF4), and also a fresh new lobby.

14. MadeManG74

I think you're getting confused with Virtua Fighter 2's use of texture mapping? That was gained from an agreement with Lockheed Martin, but isn't an 'engine'. The graphics 'engine' would have changed with every iteration of Virtua Fighter since the first one, just like the arcade board hardware has changed numerous times.

If you mean the system mechanics and design philosophy, I hope that Sega holds onto that as well :)

It's not like Sega 'ignores' Virtua Fighter. If you read the front page you'll see that Sega references and talks about VF all the time! They have a Virtua Fighter meeting room in their new offices, and even hosted and promoted Virtua Fighter 2 matches recently and at Sega Fes last year.

15. Sonic The Fighters

Nagoshi worked on VF2 right ?

Look at what the Yakuza Studio can do ???? Amazing engine, action game with some kung fu (BTA gameplay), great faces and animations, story line ...

What a waste !

ARE THEY NOT DONE WITH YAKUZA OMG STOP WITH THAT NOW PLEASE ZZzZz :coffee: :zzz:

And who care about Judgment, and that name sucks for a game btw.

Nagoshi why he NEVER talks about Virtua Fighter, that guy has some power at SEGA gaming. But he acts like VF doesn't exist.

I heard some guys from SEGA Europe or SEGA America talking about VF, but him at SEGA Japan NEVER !

16. MadeManG74

It's not a good idea to ignore when Sega does acknowledge VF, and then proceed to piss all over their other ventures out of impotent rage. That's not going to get them motivated to help our fanbase.

17. Sonic The Fighters

Nagoshi with his power at SEGA (studio and resources) could make at least 2 new VF games since 2012 if he really wanted.

I mean why they act like scrub for VF ?

You see a lot of fans asking everyday for years ! Just make the damn game or say something wtf !

VF is forever dead ? Are we gonna have a new game yes or no ? once for all.

That's just disrespectful.

Every other fighting games compagny would have said something a long time before 2019, people are literally begging for VF6.

18. Thesch28

Thesch28 Well-Known Member

If you guys want VF6 so much why not do the same thing as Shenmue fans and organize huge weekly hashtag raids on Twitter respectfully asking for VF6 just like they did with Shenmue?

MadeManG74 likes this.
  19. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

Interesting what Frostbite engine will do. This is a new hair demo they showed a couple of days ago. To be honest Tekken 7 and DOA6 don't look that much better than VF5. VF skipped like an entire generation and still holds up. The expectations should be high judging by the record VF has of pushing the technology forward but in reality with the limited budget SEGA has I don't expect to look much better than DOA6. Anyway I would love to see this hair technology getting implemented on VF6. Only we can dream...

beanboy likes this.
  20. beanboy

@Adamay That looked super cool!
    I'd love to see something like that, used in VF too.

It looks like they used, hair particles for that hair.
    If so, the bad thing about that, is that in a game, the hair will be too cpu heavy, for even a console to do. And would cause slowdown in a game.
    Two characters in a fighting game, hair like that is sort of possible, but they'll have to tone down, alot of the hair physics, and use cheap tricks, to accomplish alot of the more complex hair movement.
    Another thing that sucks, is that those silly hair engines, use up alot of cpu and graphics power. And with 4k and 8k TV's, it makes it extra worse, for those poor consoles.

One good thing, is that alot of the hair physics shown in the vid, (not all), can be done by animating simple, flat, quad polygon planes, rigged with bone armatures, together with manually animating the hair movement. But the only problem with that, is that it takes a long time to animate.
    However, if it is done that way, it'll run easily on consoles.

But in the case of sega, maybe they might be able, to pull off something.
    Since they always have a knack, to do the impossible and do amazing stuff.:)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Technocrow and Adamay like this.