1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How can I post suggestions for SEGA about VF4?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by BlueFlash, Oct 3, 2001.

1. BlueFlash

BlueFlash Active Member

Things that I think would be cool to implement within VF4 for the PS2 include:

1. A system within the game to obtain the presents, items, outfits, colors, etc. that the US players would otherwise be unable to obtain since we will not have VFnet. This would be like getting ranked by the computer, and rewarded for reaching a certain level, through earning points, whether playing against the computer or in versus mode.
    2. Wishful thinking, but someway to unlock Taka, who will be a hidden character in the home version, with a new revamped fighting arsenal, making him more pleasing to use, and still representin Sumo wrestling! =P

3. The ability to unlock Dural, and having her appear on the fighter select screen for versus mode at least.

4. The ability to change volume for sound effects and music, although the music does sound fuckin good as shit (excuse me).

That's all I can think of at the moment. What do you guys think of these options? Also, do you guys know any simple way of making these requests, other than sending a letter, which I just might do?

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I think they're great, but at the same time, I feel a bit saddened that allowing the extras to be accessed in the home console almost "cheapens" the thrill you get from attaining the ranks in the arcade from versus play.

3. Solstice0

Solstice0 Member

well, VF4 for the PS2 will be the introduction into the series for most people, so having "Extras" being unlocked through different methods will be the most paletable way for the "mainstream gamer"(hate that term) to get into it considering the likes of Tekken and SC contain similar aspects. as amatter of fact, i think SEGA and AM2 should go all out pack as much stuff as possible into the DVD. i know i'd love it. but me thinks this hinges on the success of VF4 in the arcades. i hate it when certain things(or games for the matter) don't make it out here in the western part of the world.

I'am a lover not a fighter

4. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    A few things:

the AM2 web site accepts e-mails in English exactly for this kind of thing, and since they'll be creating the home versions themselves, that's probably the best place to send suggestions.

A few months back, several people from this board compiled a LONG wish list for the PS2 version that was submitted directly to the team at SOA handling the US version. Most of it fell on deaf ears, and almost none of it actually got through to AM2 (I did hear he liked the Taka idea though, one of our suggestions as well). Basically, more reason to send your ideas straight to AM2.

Lastly, in about 10 days AM2 will be showing the PS2 version at the Tokyo Game Show (?) for the first time. I'd expect them to reveal a lot of details about the home version's extras there.

Spotlite

5. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Agreed they should keep the arcade the most important aspect of the game. Only provide the home version for practice and for less fortunate VF'ers who dont have a local arcade. I really do not like the idea of adding anything to the home version that is not in the arcade. I do not want the home version to be the definitive version of VF4

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

6. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Really?! I have to disagree there. Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast was a drastic change from the Arcade version and I doubt you'll find many people who would have wanted it to stay the same. Namco gave it the full treatment, the graphics aside, it had improved animation, more characters and tons of options. With AM2 doing the port there will be loads of great additions just like back in VF2. The Arcade is the Arcade, you pay £/$ 1.00 for a credit or two and expect it to last for 10 minutes, 30 if you're good. When you've already bought a console and then buy the Home version and there's only a verses mode and trainning mode won't you feel a little cheated?

The Vibe at the Arcade is great but, it doesn't last. The Home version should.

Adio.

7. Hayai_JiJi

Yeah but after the home version of SC came out how often did you get to play quallity comp at the arcade? I would not feel cheated as long as the training mode is a good one and they have a good computer AI.
    Certain arcade scenes fade"Tekken" and certain ones dont "Street Fighter" I just hope arcade VF is kinda of like SF'ers. The more I think about it the less it seems to matter anyway. The real VF'ers will prefer the arcade and the ones that dont can stay at home it is a moot point.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

8. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

There is an English mailform available on AM2's official VF4 website:
    http://www.sega-am2.co.jp/vf4/
    There are at least a couple people there who speak English, and they do read all mail they get, so your suggestions won't fall on deaf ears.

9. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

No worries. Just make the player earn them in the home conversion. For example, complete Time Attack mode in under 5 minutes or complete Arcade mode on Hard without a continue. Non of this DOA timmer release nonsence. Or, better still, get a certain rank in Ranking mode.

I really can't see a reason why AM2 shouldn't pull out all the stops to make the Home conversion something really special. I like *Extras* in games whether they need them or not. More is better. Two for the price of one. Can you dig it?

Adio.

10. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

What? So because I would enjoy playing a version of VF4 at home with some friends, for free with all the mod cons it gives, suddenly I'm not a "True VFer's"!? What utter Bolocks!

The Arcade is not the only place where you can enjoy a game. Discussing strategies, settling scores with rivals, and just plan having a good time. Are these things confined only to someone who has to stand for most of the time amongst cigarette smoke and crowds of annoying scrubs who bullshit and mash buttons?!

How can you assume such a thing?

Adio.

11. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Reading your post again I think I get a better Idea of what you mean. The "Thrill" of fighting for your rank in the Arcades can't really be copied in the home. Even if it's included in the Home conversion as a Verses option it still won't have that same tension that comes from using your own money and taking on strangers where you just can't press restart or kick your mate in the shins across the couch.

Adio.

12. Hayai_JiJi

I did not mean you could only play the arcade version but the arcade should be you're version of choice. They let you smoke in your local arcade that's cool or sucks depending on your preference. Scrubs who mash buttons generally dont play VF if they are diperse them :)
    The main thing I like about arcades is that they are really where you find the most dedicated people. These are the people who you want to play VF. These are the people you are going to learn the most from. You cannot find these people in your home.
    My huge problem with the home console version is what happened with VF3tb although that was mainly due to a lack of a tb machine in most cities. I have a fear that if a version came out and it had Taka in it and all these different modes that people would want to play that version at gatherings etc. I find this sad. This attitude is what is truly killing arcades and I refuse to support this movement towards home consoles as the main choice of gameplayers.

13. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Now how do you figure they read all the email. Do you know how this probably works? You submit your suggestions through a web based form. That email gets routed to a general inbox, they probably get like 10,000 emails a month. They definately dont have someone reading everyone's email, and it is more likely that it is falling on deaf ears. If you want to make suggestions we should put something together and submit a proposal, a type of business case to Sega on how it would improve their business to add these improvements. That would be the type of document you could send to the head of Sega'a arcade division or Sega's R&D team.

CrewNYC

[​IMG]

14. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I mean.

As for the whole arcade thing...personally, if the sticks and monitor are good and money is not an issue, I too would prefer arcade over home any time. The experience, the "thrill" is just unmatched.

15. BlueFlash

BlueFlash Active Member

Guys,
    Thanks for the replies. Its true that nothing compares to the arcade experience, and its what makes people hardcore VFers. I really miss that, because since the days of VF2, the competition here in my location, Washington DC area, has just lowered. Note in my post that I addressed US players. Alas, we are deprived of all the goodness you guys in the East and in Europe experience, but I will try to email AM2. I'm hoping every request counts.

16. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

They DO read their mail, I'm sure of it. I've submitted stuff to AM2 via their webpage mailforms several times. Once to get my website on the AM2 Supporters Page (which I think VFDC should try to do once everything is back up and running), again to enter a giveaway contest they were running (didn't win, dangit), and a few more times before and after FV2's release. One of the FV2 questions I mailed them got a public answer on the FV2 website.
    I got response mail from them a few times as well, in Japanese though. I even got an English email one day from Kaznori O out of nowhere. (He's character modeller for VF2 & FV, voice of Bahn in both FV games, did a lot of work on F355, dunno what he did for VF4 exactly...)

So either they DO read all their emails, or they just really like me.

17. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Hey -

I can see there are a million responses, so I'll probably just be repeating this.
    1. Someone posted earlier about a web page you could post feedback on... was it segaarcade.com or something like that?
    2. I don't think AM2 would listen to Westerners. They just can't seem to make the game popular here. You'd think listening to westerners would give Sega the key ingredient it's missing to make the game popular here, but the problem is they already know what the suggestions are going to be. They don't want to sell out by implementing retarded stuff like Tag Mode and Time Release and thirty foot high launchers. First because it's gimmicky and scrubs up the gameplay, second because it would reek of Sega imitating Namco.
    3. I don't think Sega would take a lot of time to make a hidden character with the whole VF.NET thing. If he/she turned out to be useful then it'd fuck up a lot of hard-won rankings. Also, I notice a lot of games with hidden/time release characters tend to make these characters cookie cutter versions of another existing character. It lacks creativity. Sega puts more time into each character than any other company. It doesn't seem reasonable to waste it on a gimmick.

Re; volume: Someone's always going to be annoyed by the volume level, it'll never be player controlled because then people would just squabble over it.

re: Dural - She's too strong to be playable. I don't see the harm in a code that allows her to be played vs. the CPU however... especially if it were a neat code requiring a complex motion and strict timing (so that it didn't get old)... maybe something like 'you have to do the motion for three akira knees and a spod in the pause between character selection and the first round'.

My personal wishlist (I'll try to limit this to things Sega might actually consider)

1. VF.net features without VFNet is a good idea. At least allow us to access preset costume colors or the bunny.

2. Continued gameplay revisions as warranted. Although Ver. B looks acceptible.

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>

18. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Well-Known Member

well get used to it untill arcades drop in price they are going to carry on dying and dying they deserve to for ripping us off

'Drunken idiot walking or staggering HIC,