1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How could I best set-up for Pai Chan's d+k+p reversal?

Discussion in 'Pai' started by RIZ, Apr 10, 2002.

1. RIZ

RIZ Well-Known Member

I've seen movies and read somethings and have come upon my own ideas, but honestly, for you seasoned Pai Chan players, what's the best set-up for that?

I do it after her b,f+p+g throw in hope that they'll come back with low sweep when recovering, except you don't wanna go d+p+k prematurely. Anything else?

2. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

This is weird, but I've had Sarah's dragon cannon kick revesed by the d+K+P stance reversal... There's probably a stance requirement, but I haven't researched it any more than that.

3. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

ya there is a stance requirement and distance too. that's why Pai have d+p+k and u+p+k.

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

just look for when people like to dodge, and try it... that's about it. It's very typical for players to do an uncounterable attack, then dodge.. .EG blocked sidekick --> dodge (pai, kage, shun di)... or some akira players like SDE --> dodge. Or d/f+P+K, dodge.
    If you want to encourage someone to dodge so you can use this, try canned combos that end in dodge-able hits, like with pai do d/f+P,P (whiff), then d+P+K maybe. Or low punch ---> d+P+K (since a lot of pais will do d+P, f+P to try for a float combo, you could do d+P, f+P a few times, then if they start dodging the f+P... mix it up with d+P, d+P+K)

one last thing.. unless you just love how cool the trip looks, a throw is a much stronger way to stuff a dodge. Also a throw might lose to a dodge attack while pai's d+P+K trip probably will not.

5. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    just look for when people like to dodge, and try it... that's about it.

That's not really it. A better use for the trip is to catch tech rollers. Perform any float combo ending with PPKK (since it recovers faster than PPPK or d+K) and watch for the TR, then trip them. If they're close to a ring or wall edge, then they'll more than likely TR into the safer direction (away from edge/wall) which makes it easier for you to choose the direction to trip.

To the original poster, this has been discussed before, so try searching for other ideas.

6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

This is based on observation and speculation--be forewarned...

-Early on, probably the most intuitive and easier to apply situation is when your opponent does a tech roll or even just a roll when getting up.

-It works against certain moves that have at least a small degree of stepping off to the side. I am guessing these are almost all high attacks or attacks that work at awkward angles.

-When your local competition moves into using dodges a lot more, I imagine the applications to be much higher (though I also imagine Pai having better options unless it's a positioning setup). Of course, it could be used for dodge attacks.

Some situations I've seen...
    *Pai goes for D, f+P+G throw; opponent knows you can tech roll from this throw and the Pai player knows the other player knows this, so Pai does the dodge reversal and opponent crashes into the ground.
    *(Generic) Pai performs a combo that threatens OTB (on the bounce) hits, opponent naturally tech rolls, dodge reversal.
    *Pai does Surprise Exchange (df+P+G or f+P+K+G) and quickly goes into dodge reversal. I am not sure which responses are taken care of here, but it seems a decent number of them.
    *Pai is defending against a string from her opponent, and against certain moves does the dodge reversal and it apparently works. Can't remember every (or many) cases I've seen of this... Though in my mind, I'm imagining it happenign to Lei and Vanessa given some of their extensive strings.

I also imagine the move could be used against Sarah's catch throw and moves like that (and probably Wolf too for a variety of his lunging setups).

-Chanchai

7. RIZ

RIZ Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll will go about testing this on my own.

And if this question was ever refered to before, my apologies on just repeating something, but I looked up anything I could on this topic and my next best thing was to ask.

By the way, thanks for the input Chanchai.

-<font color=white>R<font color=red>.</font color=red>I<font color=red>.</font color=red>Z<font color=red>.</font color=red></font color=white>

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

yes, that IS IT you GODDAMN COCKSMOKING WALLEYED BUCKTOOTHED HORSEFACED SLUT!@!^%$&$%@#!

Ha! just a little levity in the absence of trolling and flames.

Yeah, I neglected to mention that use, and it's probably the best one. Doy.

9. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Just to add to the weirdness, I've had my Kage's dragon punch reversed by Pai's trip.

10. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Gah! Well it makes some kind of sense as Kage crouches and inches forward a hair just before he does the dragon punch.

I'm assuming you could use the trip against scrubs/CPU Pai and Lau players that insist on doing PPPSweep at idoitic times. Also could work on Jacky or other characters with combos that end in sweeps... low kick-sweep etc. What about Lion's lunging attacks?

Ahh, kumite AI characters are also clueless about ring positioning... I've fought many Shun and Vanessa AI's who ring themselves out when they do an attack that makes them retreat, and they seem to tech roll randomly even when there is an obvios direction (away from a wall/edge) that is prefered when getting up.

11. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

u can even trip ppl just as they kip up~

12. RIZ

RIZ Well-Known Member

haha, dood that's happened so many times.

-<font color=white>R<font color=red>.</font color=red>I<font color=red>.</font color=red>Z<font color=red>.</font color=red></font color=white>

13. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I've tripped someone PPing before!

14. Typhoon

Typhoon Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]

one last thing.. unless you just love how cool the trip looks, a throw is a much stronger way to stuff a dodge. Also a throw might lose to a dodge attack while pai's d+P+K trip probably will not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just been digesting some of this as I improve on my Pai and although I agree a decent throw mixup best stuffs a dodge, wouldn't Pai's trip be a decent way to stop someone who is proficient with the dodge-throw escape guard? The trip hits low and I've caught a few of my much better friends with it after having my throws broken (as they dont go for a guarding throw escape standing up after dodging).
    The trip still isn't my preferred dodge stopper with Pai but it has helped me against the more advanced players.