1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How do I escape a throw?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by K1LLeR_Sp0cK, May 15, 2002.

1. K1LLeR_Sp0cK

K1LLeR_Sp0cK Member

I'm basically a tekken player so cant miss it its just the square/triangly in that game
    But I havent figured out how to escape throws in vf4 (yet)
    could some1 help me a bit with that?:D saves me quite some time

or an URL of a good movelist FAQ or anything would be nice^^

tnx!
    Sp0cK

2. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Trial training mode will tell you everything you need to know.

3. HalfLotus

HalfLotus Active Member

You registered with the site, got a password, logged in, posted this question on the message board, and WAITED for an answer before you could find one of the dozen or so faqs at VFDC?
    You could have at least written coherently.

4. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

I'll give you the basics, and try to leave the attitude out.
    The throw escapes depend on what way your stick is pointed. It helps to know what throw your opponent is going to do. If you're playing against Leifei (Person, not CPU) then 70% of the time, you should use 3P+G (d/f P+G). That's the most powerful throw he has.

Basically you have to mirror your opponents stick. But when getting out of throws, you have the advantage, as you can buffer as many as your hands can input, although that might take some getting used to. Best thing to do is start w/ the most powerful, and work down. That's what I do.

Of course, not everyone throws. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Wedge

Wedge Member

I get thrown a lot. I've gone through the throw escapes in trial training, and doen the buffering multiple throw escapes, however, in actual matches, I very rarely escape throws. I've worked on throw escapes with an AI in Free training, but I just can't seem to get it.
    Does anyone have any hints about better anticipating my opponents throws? Am I just too slow on entering the escape command?

6. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

If youre having trouble escaping throws you should go over your opponents throws. Know which are their strongest and against a human player you can try to find their tendencies. Also make sure youre buffering your escape in the RECOVERY TIME of your move, not just after you attempt the move. In the training mode try your other guaranteed throw moves, not just the one thats given to you...The timing may be different. Thats about all the advice I can offer since Im not very good at escaping throws.

7. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Practice trial training with anything throw-counterable, to see when the window for throw escapes starts. Go over the movelists for each character, see their best 2 throws, and pick one to escape with a TE-G. To get yourself started, just hit P+G,G after every throw counterable move. Once you can do that without thinking about it, add a direction, and then once you've got that, add the second throw escape.

8. Wedge

Wedge Member

Re: recovery time

When does the recovery time generally start? I'm sure it's different for each move, but can I start buffering throw escapes as soon as the last attack hits/is blocked? I seem to do it a bit early, and don't get any escapes in when I try it during recovery time in the training.

9. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

You have a window of 10 frames before you recover. So for moves like a jab which recover in 10 frames or less, you can start escaping as soon as it gets blocked (of course, for a jab, you can jam on d+P and escape the throw, but that's a different matter entirely) while for, say, a knee, you have to start escaping as you reach the ground (since before that, you'll just be mashing buttons to no effect).

10. HalfLotus

HalfLotus Active Member

Is the 10-frame throw escape window confirmed? In Trial mode, by experimenting with moves that have different recovery, it seems that I have a few more frames to enter throw escape with slower moves that are blocked. For instance, Sarah's d/b+K (-16 when blocked) vs. her d+K (-8 when blocked).

In trial, the earliest I can hit P+G is just as recovery begins, and the latest I can hit P+G is a few frames into the throw animation.

By this theory, the throw escape window depends on what move is blocked.