1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How do I...?

Discussion in 'Vanessa' started by Genzen, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Hello,

So I just got bashed up by some mediocre Vanessa player for like 10 matches in a row. I figured out early on (and so did he) that I don't have a clue how to defend against that takedown catch throw thing she has, and I ended up just losing to a mixture of knee-spamming and catch throws.

So, when she tackles me to the ground and sits on me, she has various options, and I don't know how to break them. I seem to remember (could be wrong) that it used to be that I had to press :p: along with a direction, and time it to the same timing as my opponent's button press, or something.

Could someone explain how this works and what options there are so I don't keep getting killed by baddie tactics?

Also, she has some kind of jumping punch that causes a lot of guard frames when I block it (similar to Eileen's Zenk > kick); is that advantage on block or am I just being slow with my attacks? Seems like most of my attacks were getting stuffed when I tried to retaliate, but I have been know to be shit at the game, so...

2. Austin_QED

Austin_QED Member

I'm new to 5 and FS in general, so please take my advice with a grain of salt. (No pun intended)

I believe you can just jump or jab out of Van's lancer (the spear move that puts you into takedown)

From there, she has three options, neutral grab, a front grab, and a back grab.

Dunno if I did it wrong, but I've been punched out of a Lancer from Offensive Stance, don't know if the opponent was doing Crimson Lancer or Fake Lancer because, well, no video.

I believe they can all be either jumped or jabbed out of though.

Remember grain of salt, only answering because I saw the amount of views and yet no replies.

EDIT:Just confirmed in training, you CAN jump and jab out of Spear tackler(the lancer she does from Intruder Step), I'll test the rest out tomorrow, too late for me to stay up any later and expect to function tomorrow.

3. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    The actual takedown throw cannot be escaped from (only the followup on the ground can), but since its so slow, it can be ducked or interrupted. You can even throw her with a normal throw straight from the tackle attempt.

The main problem is that the tackle comes when you don't expect it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    So, when she tackles me to the ground and sits on me, she has various options, and I don't know how to break them. I seem to remember (could be wrong) that it used to be that I had to press :p: along with a direction, and time it to the same timing as my opponent's button press, or something.

Could someone explain how this works and what options there are so I don't keep getting killed by baddie tactics?
    </div></div>

There are three escape directions:
    [P]+[G]
    [6][P]+[G]
    [4][P]+[G]
    You can escape by keeping the correct input pressed while she sits on you. Theres no need to time it in any way. You can only escape one option anyway so its a 1/3 guess.
    The input is technically same as what she does, so if she does forward+P+G, you press also forward (toward opponent) and P+G.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Also, she has some kind of jumping punch that causes a lot of guard frames when I block it (similar to Eileen's Zenk > kick); is that advantage on block or am I just being slow with my attacks? Seems like most of my attacks were getting stuffed when I tried to retaliate, but I have been know to be shit at the game, so... </div></div>

This sounds like OS [9][P] (aka Bunker buster), which is +2 on block. She jumps forward and strikes downward.
    Note: Despite what it looks like, the move actually hits special high so you can duck it completely, but you cannot interrupt it with a low move. You can tell shes in offensive stance when her idle stance is hunched up. In her defensive stance she leans back.

4. Chinsilver

Chinsilver Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ChinTitan
    Manji,

would you say her [9] [P] is better than her [9] [K] becuase even though you are massively disasdvantaged when [9] [K] is blocked I never seem to get [9] [P] to hit against the people I play online as they always crouch and [9] [K] seems to be a good wake up option as welll

Maybe I'm just playing really good players who are aware these moves lol

5. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Both have their uses.

6. 00000000

00000000 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZeroLovesDnB
    Personally, 9p is good for pressure and spacing games. On block you're at a bit of an advantage and following up with 6p will beat out your opponent's 2p which is what many many many players seem to go for when pressured.

I personally use 9k as a punishment tool because if you attempt to be offensive with it and it gets blocked you're in a world of hurt.

7. Austin_QED

Austin_QED Member

Man, now I have a question.

Can you jump over/jab Crimson Lancer and Fake Out Lancer?

Or will it just eat the inputs?

It might not be the best option, but IS it one?

8. ShadowGT

ShadowGT Member

lol that vanessa player was me.

9. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detailed responses - it's most appreciated and will definitely help when it comes to getting tackled to the ground.

And yes, the problem with getting tagged by it comes from not knowing if/when she can cancel her combo strings into it, and having it come out at unexpected times. Still, now I know how to break stuff, I should (theoretically) take 33% less damage from it, and can also try to use my jumping attack on reaction if I see it coming.

10. 00000000

00000000 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZeroLovesDnB
    Played against you a few times! GGs! I hate mirrors,arg.

11. IKizzLE

IKizzLE New Member

Hey I think I fought you last night. Good Mirrors. Sorry had to go eat.

We should play again next weekend. I dont really play on weekdays. Those were some fun matches.

12. iamthedave

iamthedave Member

9K out of OS has to be used carefully against anyone who knows where the guard button is. But it's her most powerful launcher so obviously you shouldn't ignore it.

13. TaNooki_kun

TaNooki_kun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    TaNooki-kun
    I'll throw in my own two cents as well...

In order to help you increase your chances of guessing which Takedown move your opponent will use you also need to factor in they don't all do the same amount of damage.

6P+G does the most damage, 4P+G does a little bit less, and neutral P+G does the least damage.

When I use Takedown I pay attention to the lifebars. If I'm leading in life I'll be a little greedy and risk using the more predictable 6P+G to try and take off as much damage as I can. If I'm trying to make a comeback I'll sometimes use 6P+G but I'll more often than not use the less expected 4P+G to try and boost my chances of success. Finally, because neutral P+G does the least amount of damage it is the least used of the three. I use that to my advantage when I have my opponent in takedown and I can close the match if I'm successful with any of the three. In a heated moment like that I'll throw out a neutral P+G since out of the three finishers it's the probably the last one they'll think to counter.

Every opponent is different but I'm sharing with you intimate details of my own personal playstyle since you may come across someone who plays similarly and that little bit of knowledge will make all the difference (also it forces me to broaden my playstyle so I won't fall into a shallow metagame) Well then, wish you all the best and hope to see you in the arena!