1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How do the characters differ in VF5FS?

Discussion in 'General' started by GustavoHeisenberg, Jul 27, 2018.

1. GustavoHeisenberg

GustavoHeisenberg Well-Known Member

Gameplay wise what makes each character unique, in terms of feel and their options.

I main Akira and I'm far from perfecting him, despite playing VF5 since 2009 and of course Final Showdown on and off these last 6 years.

I've just learnt that some characters don't even have reversals, and Jean Kujo, whose VF's Ken only has 2 reversals against mid/high and the other low. Akira has 3, from:
    7 P+K
    4 P+K
    8 P+K

beanboy and Jason Elbow like this.
  2. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

I think in general, each character is designed to accentuate parts of the system better than the others.

I'm re-learning the game myself after years of hiatus so I won't speak much of other characters other than my own.

For example, I think Kage has better options on side-turn than some characters and still a good throw-game because of the threat of the TFT.

He only has two reversals and are quite limited in use and set-up: Jumonji neutral P-reversal & Jumonji P+K+G. But I think those two reversals are more geared towards being part of his tricks rather than a foundation of his defense.

3. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    beanboy, Dreamboat, Tricky and 2 others like this.
  4. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Okay: Best thing to do, is to play all of the characters.
    And you'll see and understand, what makes them unique.

5. GustavoHeisenberg

GustavoHeisenberg Well-Known Member

I'm only beginning to understand Akira after nearly 10 years of playing VF5 (and VF5FS), so I needed to know how to understand my match ups better. I find that most people suck online so they play on the game's fundamentals with most relying on single gimmicks their character has.

So far I've learnt that Akira is linear, extremely shallow on strings and he's supposedly read-heavy. I've only learnt this from the forums.

beanboy likes this.
  6. beanboy

Yeah, I always found it strange, that for a bajiquan fighter, he was
    so linear. He's supposed to have arcing sweep kicks and roundhouse kicks,
    but strangely, am2 didn't put those moves in.:p

Note: In VF 4 Evo, his foward forward forward + punch elbow attack
    has a tendency, to turn, track and hit, evade dodging opponents.
    Note I'm not speaking about, his forward, forward + punch elbow.

A good way to learn Akira, is to fight a cheap @$$ annoying cpu Akira.:mad:
    If you lose many times, don't worry. Because the goal, is to learn all kinds of
    cool tricks, from the cpu Akira.:)

7. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    That is possibly due to it beating a failed evade, like the opponent evaded expecting an immediate attack, but due to the [6][6][6] input the attack was delayed.

GustavoHeisenberg likes this.
  8. beanboy

That is very true.
    But there were times, where I successfully avoided that attack,
    heard the evade sound, and right after, ended up getting hit.o_O

I was like,......dude,....what sorcery is this?!:eek::holla:

9. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    In that case, especially in VF4Evo, [4][6][P] was the better option.