1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How do the console versions compare to the arcade?

Discussion in 'Console' started by RandomHajile, Jan 27, 2002.

1. RandomHajile

RandomHajile Well-Known Member

of like all the vf games?
    like vf3tb? the dreamcast version to me feels slightly unfinished, as the players are slightly smaller an its harder to do OTBs, saturn vf2 had combos missing but did hav v2.1:) i never really liked the saturn vf1 an prefered remix as it felt more solid??? an has any one played 32x vf? is it anygood? as im thinkin of trying to run it on a emulator:) anyways i look forward to ur replys:)

2. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

32X VF was an amazing conversion given the hardware. But 32X emulation is pure crap at the moment. I can't even run Chaotix properly on my P3-700 w/256MB RAM. If you really want it you'd be best off picking up a 32X at a used game place for, like, $10. The real thing beats emulation any day.

3. marcel

marcel Well-Known Member

I find that so far sega brings most of the gameplay back home but the graphics and response to commands is rubbish (bad VF2 home version memories uhhhhhh) I think that of most of sega's home conversions VF4 seems the best. But we'll all soon find out.....

4. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

general thing is that most of the time when vf gets converted to the consoles, gameplaywise, the characters are all slightly lighter, thus combos are much easier on the consoles(i.e. a combo that could only be done on aoi in the arcade can be done on pai and possibly sarah or vanessa in the console)

that i kinda don't like, cause then something you try on a console might not work on the arcade version.

graphics and speed may both be toned down when you play the console versions.

5. RandomHajile

RandomHajile Well-Known Member

id love to get a 32x(dont laugh!) but im in london an its hard to get one that will work with a model 1 mega drive as u need all the leads an stuff, i infact have star wars an vf on 32x cart for liek £1.99 each brand new, but never got the chance to get a 32x!!! then i went off games back then but im getting back in to them now an i may start my search again for it as i remember playing it at like segas old london cromwell road back at liek a ects in 95 an i was impressed as the saturn version sux!

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I've always liked playing the console versions, but found myself annoyed at the slight imperfections in gameplay that end up hurting the game.

Lots of combos are possible on dreamcast VF3 that aren't in the arcade. In VF2, the 2.1 version (which had lots of tweaks to make the game more fair) was crappy to play because a tiny coding error ended up making float combos do 50% more damage than they normally would. Even normal VF2 was irritating because hit detection was off: sidekicks and elbows magically whiff vs. crouching opponents when they shouldn't, which has a real impact on the course of the match. Graphically I've been fine with the ports. VF2 was pretty close given the saturn's limitations. VF3 could have been better, but it's picky to say that. It's the gameplay that matters. It'd be nice if VF4 gameplay is perfect - meaning counterability of attacks isn't different from the arcade, hit detection is exactly as expected, etc. Neither version should have combos that are exclusive to that version, and of course damage should be correct (no excuse for incorrect damage, it's just a number someone has to type).