1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you train?

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Chanchai, Nov 24, 1999.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

To everyone out there, what do you usually do to train your VF3tb skills? Do you go to the training mode and practice new combos under different conditions? Do you have a lot of awesome friends skilled in the art of VF and duke it out with them and try things out? Do you set difficulty to hardest (not really that hard unfortunately) and shoot for a high ranking? Do you experiment with new ideas? Or do you read this forum, test out the technical stuff and read up on faqs and add a bit of yourself into the mix? What do you do for training? How much do you play is for example your home, have nothing to do but have your DC with VF3tb right there ready to be played on a full free day (I know most people like myself are busy all the time). This question is open to everyone, beginners --> experts. Any advice on training?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Chanchai: At one time or another, I've used all the methods you addressed. An additional one is to watch people play, either in person or on tape -- even watching yourself can be very helpful. I used to be a world-traveler and got to play or see some of the best, at least those publicly acclaimed to be real good. These days I have a family full of players (my wife, daughter, father, brother, nephews, etc.) and a close group of friends that I spar with on the Dreamcast. It's a fun, warm way to enjoy VF3.

Regards, Imashroom

3. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    try setting the cpu (or a friend) life guage to 400 and setting yours to 140.

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Actually, I wouldn't recommend that. If you become too determined in "beating" the CPU, you will become accustomed to the CPU, and that will not improve your sense of yomi. Even though the U.S. CPU has been improved, there are still a lot of quirks in the A.I.

A few examples:
    [*]After pick up, the CPU always does an escape throw.
    [*]After Taka's f+P+K,P the CPU always dodges.
    [*]After Kage's P,P,helix the CPU always dodges.
    [*]After Pai's P,P,P (pause) the CPU always dodges.

Etc. Basically, there are still a few sequences which the CPU never seems to learn from. If you are too fixated on beating the CPU, you will find yourself falling back to these little "quirks" time and time again, and bad habit breeds.

ice-9 | Sennin

5. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Jeff, thanks a ton for pointing out a few examples of CPU faults (or dominant routines). As far as playing the CPU goes, I'll use that knowledge to try to avoid not taking advantage of this... As routines from opponents in general, kill of yomi as I see it... They'll teach you a thing or two, but like you said, they'll breed more habits along the way.

I am looking for more competition but it's tough.... especially with how much time is permitted to test out a game among the mainstream US gamer.... Meaning, how much time he or she is willing to put in trying the game out. However, I am finding more and more players, and a few of them are in the West Coast... who knows... maybe we'll see a second west-coast coming? A first to a certain magnitude? Unlikely, but I'm not gonna stop trying. If I have to go to SunnyVale to get John Choi and Hans back in the game, I'll do it :) Besides, I've actually been getting emails from quite a few west-coasters... Sure, about 90% of us are major newbies, scrubs, and the bottom of the VF barrel, but you never know how far we might go :) We all had our starting points. Maybe I can con Hans and John to train what they do know about the game? nah.... They're busy with work and I wouldn't want to make them do so much dirty work :)

Don't worry, I haven't lured any newbies or juniors into vfdc... No intention to, unless I find them pleasantly suitable for Versus City (not that I'm an authority of such judgement).

-Chanchai