1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you use the "Mimic" feature?

Discussion in 'Console' started by Tha_FeauchA, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    I can't figure it out how to make things happen with it. What do I do?

2. Plume

Plume Well-Known Member

Set CPU to Mimic and Guard, and it will block everything.

3. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Ahh ok, thanks.

4. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

What else can mimic be used for?

5. jijilip

jijilip Active Member

we need a topic on how to make the most of the Dojo.

id like to know what people think about what to practice with what settings.

Tricky, you had mentioned how to set up the CPU that would be ideal to practice for 10 minutes a day to practice hit checking.

i was hoping you could repeat yourself/expand on that for me.

thanks!

6. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

Here's one thing it does:

If you have mimic on, and you do a low throw, the CPU will crouch so it hits.

7. Tricky

In training go to the menu, then CPU settings then for reaction change it to either Normal or counter hit, Guard or normal hit, or Guard or counter hit. Then just go through your attacks starting the P, 6P, 2P. Try to react accordingly based on if your move hits or not, in the CH or NH setting, you'd be reacting based on how much adv or dis you put yourself in and using a properly framed move afterwards.

That's a really hard skill to practice and just a little bit of time here and there can go a long way. It takes a ton of focus to deal with that randomly and react correctly and deliberately each time.

Like an easy one is take the guard or counter hit setting, since it's the most drastic difference between the two states, and just practice guarding after 2p is bocked and going into a launcher after 2P is CH. Get that right flawlessly for both cases 10 times in a row. Then move on to 6P, and maybe this time try instead going for a fuzzy guard when it's blocked and a mid attack that would put you on positive frames on block that's a little on the slower side. Then finally work on P, which is unique because on block you're +2, so in this case you could practice using a 6P after a blocked P, and another strong slow exe mid on CH.

When you're comfortable with that then you can put it all together and instead of just doing two moves, you want to flow between all your moves in a logical way based on how your computer reacted. That last part really starts to feel like a real match in terms of your flow and it's really helpful. It gets really tiring though, but that's great mental training.

Finally repeat this for the other settings. You're options will vary based on the character and type of setting you're working with. 10 min of practicing just one of these things a day is all you'll probably need. They're like doing push-ups for Virtua Fighter. THis skill also transfers to others games and actually real life.

8. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Some good advice Tricky.

And yea, if there's anything else this thing (mimic) does, don't be holdin out on us yall, lol.

So far we have,
    1. It adds low guarding when you set the CPU reaction to Guard and/or Guard and counterattack.
    2. It ducks when you attempt a low throw to let the throw connect (If it can).

9. jijilip

jijilip Active Member

awesome. thats what i was looking for. thanks a bunch Tricky.

10. Sashaz

Sashaz Well-Known Member

Thanks tricky will try that.

11. jijilip

jijilip Active Member

hopefully im not totally hijacking the topic here, but i have questions. someone let me know if i should just make a new topic to ask these questions.

when setting the CPU reaction to NH or CH, im not looking for the CPU to respond with a move, im just looking at the frame data to see if im at an advantage?

just making sure, because when i set the CPU to NH or CH all that seems to do is determine what kind of strike i land on the non blocking CPU.

for some reason i was expecting the be able to set the CPU to block and then respond with a variety of options, but all i can find is setting it to counter hit with a specific type of attack every tome for the most part.

thanks.

12. Tricky

You can only set the computer to be hit with a normal hit or a counter hit effect. It dosen't really matter what move they used against you when you get a counter hit.

If you want the computer to block something and respond a certain way like for a set up? I just record the set up that I"m making, then I defend against it and respond in the different ways I'm looking for.

Like you want to test if Wolf's 6K+G can be beaten out with an attack when he's at heavy disadvantage? You record the computer doing 3K+G then 6K+G. THen you with your character block the first move and respond accordingly.

I think that's the question you were asking anyway.

13. jijilip

jijilip Active Member

ah ok didnt know about the record feature, thats good to know.

no sorry im not being clear, its because im confused on what exactly im supposed to be doing. sorry for being dense here. let's just take the paragraph i quoted above first and see if i can figure this out.

my main is Shun if that helps at all.

so, say i set the CPU to either NH or CH, no guard, and i practice my p, 6p, 2p. should i have the frame data on and be looking for what advantage/disadvantage im at and then figure out what would be the best to follow up with?

let's assume i know jack shit about how to utilize that data to figure out what im doing. is there a primer somewhere that would help me?

maybe just give me something super easy to start practicing against the CPU and tell me what to look for as Shun.

sorry if this is confusing or silly, im just confused and i really dont know shit about this or any fighting game.

thanks a lot for the help.

14. Tricky

Yes