1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you.....

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Nemesis02, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Nemesis02

Nemesis02 Well-Known Member

How do you organize a tournament at say a mall, or some kind of video game store? My brother and I would like to know how we would go about this, and where and who to ask. If anyone knows how lemme know. Thank you.

2. Nemesis02

so does anyone know?

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

www.shoryuken.com has an article on how to setup your typical double elimination tournament and a few side issues included. You might want to read it to get an idea of that particular format. Just keep in mind it's not the only format, but I don't know if anyone is really willing to explain various tournament systems for you, so sort of focus on what's on the article for now.

-Chanchai

4. Nemesis02

oh thats cool, thank you. but i didn;t mean tournament format. What i meant was how do i go about setting it up? like where should i go to see if stores will host a tourny and stuff, cuz none of my arcades have a copy of VF4. but i'm sure like a vg store or and import store would do it. so how do i go asbout doin somehting like that?

5. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Don't think I can help you there, but I'll list the types of places I've seen console tournaments held:

-Meeting Rooms (college campus, library, hotel, motel, theme-arcades like Gameworks/Illusionz, etc...)
    -Used Video Game Shops (since for some reason, the typical used game shop has open floor space)
    -Fairgrounds and Community Centers
    -Elementary/Middle/High School Class Rooms (and even college lecture/class rooms)
    -Someone's House

There are a variety of places one could hold a tournament. My personal view is that they should at least be at a place which matches with the following criteria (unless it's a special tournament focusing on a few people of a select group):
    -Near a Transit Center of some sort or popular public transport line.
    -In a relatively easy to find or well known place.
    -In a generally safe location(!!)
    -Somewhere clean (hence meeting rooms and at certain stores typically are good--you wouldn't want someone getting sick and blaming the tournament or whatever).
    -Somewhere near a place that offers snacks or at least drinks (clean drinks).

Hope this helps or gives you ideas.

-Chanchai

6. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a commercial venue, the best place would be a used game store like Funcoland. Just ask the manager. See if they're interested. Point out that they'll get free advertising or conversely maybe bad press on the web.

Also, I've seen a few hobby stores that have weekly meetings for Magic the Gathering card games and other role playing and board games. You might be able to start a console gaming club/league at the store on the off nights that they don't have the other clubs going on, especially if the store also sells used video games etc. These stores want the extra traffic that clubs bring into their business. If you can guarantee say 8-12 guys coming in regularly to play some games on an otherwise quiet night or afternoon for the store, they may be very interested in hosting you.

Good luck.

7. Nemesis02

That helps a lot. Their are a lot of those types of stores around me. I'll think I will go with the Funcoland idea, since thats only about a half an hour away from me. Thanks both of you. By the way, if I did start a tournament at Funcoland. How many people could attend? (poughkeepsie, NY)

8. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

If I'm free from work, I could probably make that. I live near Providence, RI, about 3 1/2 hours away.

9. Nemesis02

Well just yesterday I found this place called X-zone. And they have tournaments all the time. You don;lt even have to ask them, you just go in and play on the ps2, X-box, and the computers. They have like 50 games you can play, and Virtua Fighter 4 is one of them. And it's cool cuz they only charge 3 bucks for every half an hour. The only thing is if they ps2 is being used (they have 1 ps2, 1 x-box, and like 40 computers) thn we haveta wait til it is done. This place is in two malls I know of. Middletown NY, or the Palisades Mall. So now this tournament can actually happen. So it's me, my brother, and maybe Yupa, would anyone else be interested?