1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How is this Evade Possible?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by ToyDingo, Dec 15, 2021.

1. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN

Explanation:

Sarah's K+G is a full circular high that forces sideturn on normal and counter hit. On counter hit, she is at +9 advantage and her opponent is sideturned. Because it takes 3 frames for the opponent to face Sarah again before he can evade or guard, Sarah is at +12 advantage. Sarah's 12f linear high punch should hit the opponent if he does anything other than crouch (crouching does not require you to face your opponent, so there is no 3f penalty).

Question:

Why does this setup work on the CPU when set to "Defensive Move 1" (evade to the background), but not "Defensive Move 2" (evade to the foreground)? How does the CPU have the frames to evade the punch?

2. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

The direction of the roundhouse gives a few frames of leeway if you are evading toward or away

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  3. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Try recording Sarah doing those moves and you do the defensive move to evade the CPU. Do you get the same results? I can mess around on VF5FS to see if this might just be a quirk with the CPU input settings. My guess, the game reads Lau doing an "instant" crouch and then successful evade.

4. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    This was my first thought as well. However, if I switch stance for Sarah (P+K+G) the results remain the same. DM1 cannot evade, but DM2 can.

Sarah has other side setups as well. If I can hit my opponent with 3PK from the side, Sarah has +8 advantage, meaning 11f attacks should land. Her FL P and FL K are 11 frames. Same results, DM1 cannot evade, DM2 can.

Yes, I can do it too. Though my success rate is quite low. Maybe 1 out of every 20 tries.

Is it possible to crouch and evade the same move? If so, then the entire idea of nitaku would be invalid, right? If I can duck a throw and evade an elbow at the same time. Or is there some hidden tech that I don't know about. ETC = Evading Throw Crouch :D

SDS_Overfiend1 likes this.
  5. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Yes you can crouch and later evade the same high strike move. It is much easier to do it with moves that have a longer execution (try crouching then evading Pai's 66K), and I assume the CPU has some unhuman ability to input a crouch that then leads to an evade of a fast 12 frame high attack.

Edit: Also, nitaku only works at a moderate to large frame advantage/disadvantage situation. So using a slow mid strike at small advantage, the opponent can still crouch to avoid the fast throw, then stand back up to block fast mid (fuzzy), and afterwards evade the slow mid.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  6. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

You can do that in Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution. Sometimes I get it by accident.