1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

how many of you use an arcade stick?

Discussion in 'Console' started by Saitou, May 5, 2002.

1. Saitou

Saitou New Member

I was thinking of buying one, but is the experience THAT much better whith a stick, or can you be as equaly good whith the pad?

2. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

You CAN do well with a pad, but most people (especially if they go to arcades) find sticks easier and faster. In particular, if you're looking into Akira, definitely get a stick. Unfortunately, all the good ones are expensive, but you can spend $20 on a Pelican and still notice the difference.

3. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

For leisure play...
    pad is OK

but if u want to really push ur skills to the next level...
    get a stick.

Since u're new to the board...I'll play the meanie n inform u on a few details

A) This sort of questions goes to the console board...not JJ

B)There's a search function on this site..use it. For example, this question u asked has been answered too many times in the past

C)There's a system FAQ on this site too...and a move list...and throw escape FAQ...and Items FAQ

That is all.
    BTW, welcome.

4. Saitou

Saitou New Member

ok, thanx. I think I will by stick. Because the whole fun about VF4 for me is that you have to put alot of time in it to be good /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

5. SPINMASTER X

SPINMASTER X Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SMX-001
    I use a stick and its basically the best way to go when playing Virtua Fighter.

6. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Thread moved from Junky's Jungle.

7. Jebus

Jebus Active Member

I dont, I don't really play at the arcades and if I go I play Time Crisis, so I'm not really familiar with a stick. I'm thinking bout getting one but I'm afriad I'll just be wasting my money cuz I don't know how to use it.

And I know this thread asked who uses an arcade stick

8. DlooB

DlooB Member

on the friendly pelican stick

Mine flew accross my appartement this weekend. On a ranking match, I was going to win the last of 5 rounds against Wolf, all I had to do is a ground grab (Aoe).

So I tried.. diag, G+P, (miss), diag G+P (miss.. and yes, that means she was grabbing flies..). Wolf got up and single punched me. Game Over. Flying Pelican.

So, if your going to get a stick, get a reall one. It will save you money on the long, and will save you a load of frustration.

9. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

Re: on the friendly pelican stick

Oh well it was only a Pelican.

10. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

You can get very far in your VF career using a pad. But there is another layer of VF, and ultra skilled lvl of playing that can only be reached thru a stick.

You see in VF, like in lots of 3d fighters, its almost as important to have good movement, as it is to have good moves.

I can do things on a stick that I just could not pull on a pad.

Three throw breaks, i cant do on a pad
    Tech roll, into an evade throw escape, cant do on pad
    side step cancel-cant do on a pad.
    I cant do it really good yet, but I know Iron monkey fist and BLonde_One can do it, but the shinz step can only be done on a stick.

11. DlooB

DlooB Member

=), yup. I got the T4 stick today. It changes.. a lot. I'm really happy with it.

12. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

I find it's a lot easier for me to crouch dash on a pad. It's easier to find diagonals in general, but that's more to do with how I hold the stick I think. But because of years of playing in the arcade, the stick is still the only real option for competive play. Proper button placement is very important IMHO, otherwise my wrist starts to ache or my forearm stiffens up.

13. UMJ

UMJ Member

Personally, I think having a stick at home is a stupid idea. Don't get me wrong though, i've been playing with sticks since Street Fighter II. But still, pad's are way easier,while sticks require work. i play while i'm in the bed or while on the computer with one hand so a pad is more convient. with a stick you have to be upright and all that (stuff). but that's just my opinion.