1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How solid is "YOUR" Monk!!

Discussion in 'Lei' started by Blondie, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Hi, yes I play Jacky but have always played a little Lei Fei on the side. This can be used as a Lei Fei strat or discussion thread. I highly recommend before you play Lei Fei to check out "Ken's Lei Fei Dojo". It really gave me an idea as to where to take my Lei Fei once I started with him. Also just curious as to how many "Serious" Lei Fei users there are, especially in the US. Anyway, I've recently tried to take Lei Fei to another level and feel as though I've succeeded. Most of his useful stuff is as follows.

IN stance<[P] this is Lei's Single palm, much like Akira's and is Extremely useful in applying pressure from a few steps back. Most of the time your better off fighting from a distance with Lei Fei due to his lack of close-up options.

DM<[P],[P]+[K] "BREAD AND BUTTER" this is what we Fl. guys refer to as "IRON MAN TECHNIQUE" it gives +7 /versus/images/icons/blush.gif on BLOCK, and insane advantage on hit. Use this alot also to apply lots of pressure and is very useful in Lei Fei Flow charting.

I'd really like to hear some of other guys strats as far as Nastiness with Lei Fei. I always get a smile when someone comes up with Horrible shit for someone to take in a versus match. I'll write more as time goes on. Later guys.

2. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

Your Lei Fei is a chump, lol just thought Id have some fun with ya.

But as someone who gets hit by the nasty lei fei junk, let me tell you, Iron Man not only applys pressure but Is hard as crap to side step, and it tracks, plus Blondie, you should school people one what you like to call STance Canceling. I think its more mind boggling than a full lei fei dance.

3. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Rythm

A good Lei-Fei can totally dominate an opponent if they aren't familiar at playing against his sabaki attacks.

EV / TG stance sabakis and IN stance reversals are highly effective vs opponents who aren't wary or learned in countering them.

Lei-Fei's other great moves are of course his linear options and "iron man technique" so to speak.

Another overlooked aspect is Lei-Fei's head crumble moves. Lei-Fei has 4 head crumble moves and 3 of which are extremely effective and are great gambles on a blow-for-blow perspertive.

So on in summary we have a basic strengths analysis from which your opponents will attempt to defend against and counter.

Obvious counter-strategies vs a standard Lei-Fei would be:
    -Dodge
    -Non-Reversible Mids
    -Close range
    -Throw
    -Anti TG stance strats

So if you play a standard Lei-Fei you can expect to win or lose due to the above reasons. What is important is a tactical approach to each battle and conditioning your opponent to react a certain way.

[IN] [2][K]
    [DM] [P][P]+[K]

These are great moves and a good opponent will look to dodge. If this is the case then it a great opportunity to throw in some fakes or circular attacks for some free hits.

Lei-Fei is also a very risky character to throw.
    [4][6][P]+[K]
    is a great move to punish a throw attempt. Causes a head crumble for
    [4][P][P] followup and a possible back stagger combo chance. This works wonderful vs anticipated high attacks:

ie:
    Sarah's Flamingo stance - see the stance do this move.
    Lau's [3_][P]

Although its very tempting to do Lei-Fei's best damage combos and strings, its important to show a pattern but also to vary from a pattern.

Stance switching is a great way to taunt and confuse the opponent. Sometimes counter attacking is better than all out offense. Conditioning the opponent to play into your game.

4. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Re: Rythm

Another note on the waiting or passive strategy.

Stance cancelling is great to provoke an attack.

When using Lei-Fei and dancing around thru the stances depending on your range it may provoke certain responses. Given that Lei-Fei can certainly attack a more passive option is really effective to provoke:

-an elbow
    -jab
    -low punch
    -throw
    -long range move
    -dodge attack

Most of the above options are easy to defend against and you counter-attack accordingly.

Generally the opponent will opt for a fast and low risk move which will be harder to counter. Otherwise you can throw if they try a throw counterable move like a dodge attack or knee etc.

5. m121zero

m121zero New Member

Yeah, this is an old thread, But I'm bored and feel like showing off my probably crappy strats here. I play it safe with short combos that are effective at knocking down the opponent. For example, My personal favorites are[2][P]+[K],[2_][P]+[K],[P] and [6][6][K]+[G],[P].

6. Blondie

Well it has been a while. Even though I've sort of shelved Lei_fei recently I still play him occasionally. What I'm having problems with

1) When playing someone at a high level, "It takes so much energy to generate good offense with Lei_fei". After a few fights my brain is fried. =(

2) While I like Lei_fei's sabaki's getting a good player to eat them doesn't work IMO.

3) Manipulating lei_fei's stances takes a lot of energy. Lei_fei has minimal throws =(.

These are just the small problems I'm having with him. Maybe someone can post and fill my head with some new strats or just something that might turn me onto him again. later.

7. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

I've said this a few times before, but in case you missed it --- when playing a high level person (especially a dodger) space our your attacks, especially for combos like:
    [6][K][K][P]
    [6][K][2][K]
    [1][P]+[K]+[G][P]+[K][P][P]

you should put a good half to full second in there. Wait for them to try to dodge, then go for the attack -- you'll hit more times then you miss. Also, when you' in the IN stance (I think it's called -- [8][P]+[K]+[G] wait for your opponent to do something. If they duck, go for the [K]+[G]. Or, just G-Cancel and throw 'em. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Blondie

Thanx GP, but, unfortunately I already knew most of that. Especailly the waiting stuff. I'm still going to play him, just to absolutely demolish newbies =). Or I could just mash with my jacky =P. Anyways, lei_fei is one of those characters that should be your main guy due to his complex learning curve and strategies, he's just not going to be my main guy. Just a Newbie Killer.

9. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

He's definitely not my main character, but I'm pretty decent with him. Nowhere near as good as some others. Ask Ice9 about the Lei Fei he played w/ today!

10. Cabby

Cabby New Member

I really like Lei Fei IN stance d+k. I usually follow that up with d+k+p+g,p,p+k, f f+k+g and hope they get up attacking and use lei sabakis to stop any rising attack.

11. Aeon

Aeon Well-Known Member

Not that this is interesting, but...

What i've been doing lately is perfecting moving Lei from stance to stance quickly. If done right, it's almost seamless movement, and the opponent has a hard time figuring out how to come at you. This isn't something i do regularly, but it's great against very aggressive opponents because being able to get into Nehan Shiki quickly is essential to making opponents miss and getting those sabakis.

The reason i like to use the Lei WuLong-style stance switching is partly because, i believe, you can enter NS from what you guys call "Independent Stance" more quickly than if done from his natural stance.

In other words, i do this quick stance switching in almost a purely defensive manner. I'm getting to the point now where i can use the "Independent stance" almost as a standard Akira-style reversal and am almost able to dodge successfully when i feel those knees coming with NS stance against knee-happy Jackies and Jeffs. What you guys call the Dm stance i use for the purpose of getting interrupts on those long-execution attacks that lots of Wolf players use.

This might not be helpful for some, but it's done some interesting things for my Lei game. I've found that Lei is most vulnerable when he decides to use traditional defense exclusively, and is not moving his feet at all.

Not to mention it's pretty stylish when you get it going seamlessly.