1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How to beat Kage???

Discussion in 'Kage' started by Gernburgs, May 8, 2008.

1. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

I have so much trouble with Kage, he beat's my ass regularly. I was wondering, from actual Kage players, what are some weaknesses I can exploit to help me beat him??? PLEASE!

2. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    I think you are asking to the wrong crowd. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

IMO, you should discuss this with the characters you play with for Anti-Kage stats.

My advice as a non-Kage player is be aware of his best weapons and learn how to deal with them.

Moves I personally watch out for:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif

Also take note of his options from his Shippuujin and Juumonji stances. I tend to wait and see what Kage players do when they go into stance and then try to defend.

3. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

Are there specific flow-charts you have trouble with?

Here's one advice, for Kage players to hit-check /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. You should always duck after the first punch since the second is high. If Kage whiffs this attack you have guaranteed follow-ups. When it's just /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, Kage won't have time to do a mid against crouching opponents. You'll have plenty of time to stand up and guard his fastest mid in this situation.

And you should always escape back. If you only have one chance to escape a throw in a pressure situation, always escape back as it could entail you losing the match.

His shenanigans from shippuujin can be mostly punished. 2KK from shippuujin seems to get a lot of people, when you block this move don't miss the opportunity to counter.

Also, don't let Kage players get away with trying /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif in the middle of the around. When it doesn't kill you and you don't hit the wall, TR/QR and you have plenty of time to combo. Don't even try to throw since you're just giving the Kage player a shot at getting away with it.

Learn which moves lead to Kage's stances, shippuujin and juumonji.

4. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

I mostly have a problem with Kage ranging me because he has so many tricky moves to move in on me. He can do the corkscrew mid kick mixed with that low sweep that comes forward, whick also looks like the beginning of the one where Kage turns around and then does a flip kick forward that hits you while he's BT. He has another forward flipping kick that he can use to move in that hits me quite often too, usually jumping my low or mid attack.

I just can't tell what move is coming because the beginning of each animation looks similar enough that I don't have time to react. Then he has all this stuff where he's hitting me up off the ground like 4 times with these backhands (3PP I assume)...

Basically, his hit and run game from mid-long range just destroys me. I get picked apart by his guerilla tactics and trickyness... My most basic problem is not being able to react defensively to what he's doing so I just get hit.

I also get hit by his low attacks, especially the double low kick that he can do going into and out of BT, both of which knock down I believe. Kage just has too many weapons for me to deal with and still try to pull out a win.

5. Fu_unji_kun

Fu_unji_kun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    None Other
    How to beat Kage?

JUST BEAT HIM!!!! lol

6. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    And /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is slow as life. Hit him out of it with your mid attacks as it GOES UNDER HIGHS. Do not just spam highpunch and ask us what is wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    His shenanigans from shippuujin can be mostly punished. 2KK from shippuujin seems to get a lot of people, when you block this move don't miss the opportunity to counter.
    </div></div>
    In fact pretty much all his shippu (he is in low squat stance holding his hands as if he is about to draw a sword, and hops forward awkwkardly) attacks are safe, except that second lowkick in shippu /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and shippu /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. Look to guard those low attacks and punish with midhitting launcher. Shippu can be annoying if you give kage too much room. I have found that close range pressure helps, as his shippu attacks, while otherwise good, arent exceptionally fast apart from shippu /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Learn which moves lead to Kage's stances, shippuujin and juumonji. </div></div>

(edit) Ok you mean which moves in general, yes that is good advice. Its generally same moves that lead to both of the stances. Although I admit that even if I know what they are, I cant react to the animations fast enough myself. I need more good kage players to play against.

7. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

You're right, it was poor word choice on my part. Kage could also do his catch throw (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif; /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif from stances) from both stances.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif from Shippuujin doesn't push anymore, and it leaves him at -9. You have nitaku now so it isn't that bad. It's also half-circular. It could easily be interrupted since it's not that fast. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif from Shippuujin is the scary one since it interrupts fairly often and it goes under certain mids especially in open stance. Luckily it doesn't have that much range compared to /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif from Shippuujin.
    ===========

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    This is another good move but it ends in a High attack. Force Kage players to hit-check this by consistently ducking under it. If you duck the 2nd punch you have a guaranteed counter.

8. Fu_unji_kun

XBL:
    None Other
    Hey, guys.

I wanna ask you guys that who is best kage player in USA?

I use kage too, but my kage is really weak. And I don't use much Kage.

So, I need to play good Kage player for practice.

9. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    playing the best kage player wont make u a good kage player...

10. Fu_unji_kun

XBL:
    None Other
    My main is Shun, I have too many sub charas...

I actually don't care about my Kage, but I need practice with good Kage player.

11. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Yeah smacking him in the face should work fine.

12. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

I think YOU are the best Kage player in the US Fu_unji_ONeal!!!!

cause you said

That means you are a Kage PRO! No one in the US can just beat Kage like that.

I think you should play with yourself more!!!! What stick do you use!?

13. Murder_Material

Murder_Material Active Member

Sorry guys, Kage is indestructable. Best thing to do is turn off all the lights and don't make any noises, maybe he'll think nobody's home.

14. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Its hopeless, kage is invisabul

15. AceInTheHole

AceInTheHole Member

If there is a lot of distance between you and him, watch for the long range mid attacks (meaning crouching/crouch dash is a bad idea). Admittedly some of his move animations are difficult to differentiate from others (still think Lion is worse about this though), but a lot of his moves have huge disadvantage if blocked, so he is easy to punish.