1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How to do low throw?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by chrono, Mar 5, 2005.

1. chrono

chrono Member

I know this question may be stupid. But I never played VF4. I was in tutorial mode in PS2 VF4 evo game. The game tells me to throw after blocking the opponent's low kick and fall into a crouch stance. The character keeping grabbing air when the opponent is crouching. I can throw when the opponent is standing. But not when the opponent is crouching. I even tried [3], [2], [1] and other direction before pressing throw.

One other question. Which version command list on this website is for PS2 VF4 evo game?

Thanks

2. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

Evolution ver. B

Low throw is usually done with [1]/[2]/[3]+[P]+[K]+[G].

Only some characters have low throws, and some only have 2 directions, while others have 3.

3. alphanumeric

alphanumeric Member

If you're playing on PS2, the L2 button ([P]+[K]+[G]) helps a lot! (As do the other shoulder buttons)
    The PS2 controller's a pain to work with for things like [P]+[K]+[G], or [K]+[G] without em.

4. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

See, no, that's called cheating.

Personally, I just play with thumb on joypad (obviously), have my index finger on square, my middle finger on triangle, and ring finger on circle.

5. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

So what you're saying is that you can't play VF with controller with the standard setting. I know it's cheating, but it's the best way to play with controller since there is so little space on the pad to play like on stick. I don't know about you, but I find it easy to do that. And it warms me up for when I use my stick. I find that the more you have to use the L and R buttons, the faster you become at entering commands on stick when you switch over to stick.

6. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

No, I'm saying you can't play by assigning buttons to perform multiple commands.

7. Robio_kun

Robio_kun Well-Known Member

Back on the saturn I did what vanity does but that controller was easy to do it on. The PS2 controller is so awkward that it is virtually impossible though. I agree with the principle that it is cheating to assign multiple functions to buttons but the alternative in this case is ridiculously uncomfortable, so I do it anyway. One compromise that I do though is to assign a single function to the shoulder buttons eg. L1 = guard. that way you can get your fingers around the combinations. also it is impossible to do some moves (especially Vanessa's) if you assign multiple commands to the shoulder buttons

8. DissMaster

DissMaster Well-Known Member

It is not cheating to program your shoulder buttons. If you are stupid enough or masochistic enough to try to play the game with a pad, then by all means, program the shoulder buttons. You will still get owned by good stick handlers.

9. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

You know, I REALLY want to play you guys some time - REALLY.

10. Kontrast

Kontrast New Member

Square - Guard, R1 - Punch, R2 - Kick...
    It's actually pretty easy that way. ;P

11. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    It is not cheating to program your shoulder buttons. If you are stupid enough or masochistic enough to try to play the game with a pad, then by all means, program the shoulder buttons.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Exactly.

12. PurpGuy

PurpGuy Well-Known Member

XBL:
    PurpGuy
    If you ever play in an arcade, you will want to be as familiar with the controls as possible. And there are no shoulder buttons in the arcade.

Unless you're playing a game that lets you plug your PS2 pad into the arcade machine, like Tekken 5.

13. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

I used to be a pad player, and I used the shoulder buttons. Familiarity with the button layout was not a problem when I switched to a stick. The problem was getting comfortable with the stick rather than the buttons.

I still play with a pad from time to time, but I prefer a stick now. I don't think I can be as competitive with a pad as with a stick. Throw escapes and struggling are easier for me with a stick than with a pad, the shoulder buttons weren't much of an advantage really.

14. Maximus

[ QUOTE ]

You know, I REALLY want to play you guys some time - REALLY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come over to my house. I live in IL. We'll have a jolly old time. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Robio_kun

Robio_kun Well-Known Member

Look this elitist "you stupid people who use pads" stuff is just silly. Some people can't afford to buy a stick. Some people need to travel 900kms or more and traverse a large stretch of water in order to get to the nearest VF4 arcade machine. I have a proposition for you... why don't you buy us all sticks. Then you wouldn't have to be offended by us all using pads. /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. Maximus

You know that's actually the smartest thing anyone has said this whole week and I agree with you 100%. Some people can't afford to buy a stick or are unable to access one and it's a sad fact.

17. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    It is not cheating to assign multiple commands to the buttons on a D-pad. It handicaps people. If it made it easier for people to win, this site would have discovered that and would be preaching D-pad instead of joystick. I just recently got a stick because reached my limit with a pad. I wanted to get away from the pad for two major reasons.

1. The standard PS2 button layout put too much stress on my left hand, as the directions and [P]+[G] (L1 button) commands are used very often in this game.

2. More importantly, relying on one button for [P]+[G] makes it near impossible to do a DTEG or even a TEG. So these maneuvers were basically not in my reportoire.

I guess what I am trying to say is that using multiple commands for the shoulder buttons helps you in the beginning, eventually you will outgrow the pad.

18. Maximus

Point taken. But I still find it easier to do DLC on pad. Plus entering throws is easier, even the q-circle throws, except throws like pai's and aoi's [8][9][6][3][2][1][4][P]+[G], for some reason I have a hard time entering that command. But yeah you're right, entering TE's is deffinetely harder on pad.

19. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

personally, i think one should always know how to play with the pad. the reason being, you are at some random guy's house, and whoah, there it is, a copy of your fav fighter. but chances are, you'll prob have to use a pad.

but now, if that random guy has a stick, and hell, a stick for you as well, man, you know you got a good game coming.... /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

20. chrono

chrono Member

I setup unused buttons for moves like [P]+[K]. The game let you set this up in the option without using programmable controller. I use a stick. Judging by your comments, I should try to perform all the moves using only 3 standard buttons.