1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How to do low throw?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by chrono, Mar 5, 2005.

1. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Heta_Akira said:

A lot of talk about how people can't afford buying a stick.

But the truth is that with the price of a couple of DualShocks you can get a good stick, not RAP, but a good stick.

Is really hard to get the money for that?

Please forgive my ignorance, I live in the Dominican Republic that is a country that in economics terms is always in trouble.

So let's see: A US$65 Stick is RD$1,950.00 and for bringing the stick from the US and Custom Fee (something that you guys don't need to pay) could be another RD$1,500.00 for a total of RD$3,450.00

Now someone working at a FastFood place could get that in a month. So take that taking 2 month you can gather the money.

I really wonder how hard is for people that lives in the US to have a Joystick.

Heta Akira

p.s.
    Please excuse my English (is my second language).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, everyone has different needs and priorities in their lives. I think you've generlized the situation too much.

As far as the pad discussion is concerned, how do you pad players struggle on a pad? I am talking about a hard struggle in the game here. I once asked one of the known pad players, SuperG, about how he struggles on a pad, and the answer was pretty memorable. Here it goes.

me: Hey, superG. How do you struggle on a pad?

SuperG: I don't.

me: #$%#$@@#

I've been a both pad and stick player myself, and I'd say that in order to get to your real potential in VF, you need a stick.. However, there's nothing wrong with using a pad or the shoulder buttons that exist there to be used. Of course, you might have to consider by passing the good-struggling department with it though.

2. Ryadus

Ryadus Well-Known Member

You asked how we pad players struggle on pad? I just simply press down the [G] button and start pressing all the other buttons and press different directions as fast as I can. I've completed stagger challenges and I'm capable of staggering out of every stagger there's in the game (except fast staggers against the wall, some of them are impossible to stagger, nearly).

3. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Struggling on a pad is just HARD. Hurts your thumb like a bitch too trying to "whirl" it around in a circle so fast. It's also easy for your thumb to just randomly slip off when you try.

I can't struggle worth shit compared to every stick user I've seen.

4. Ryadus

Ryadus Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Elite said:

Struggling on a pad is just HARD. Hurts your thumb like a bitch too trying to "whirl" it around in a circle so fast. It's also easy for your thumb to just randomly slip off when you try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so, but there aren't so many fast stagger situations in battles that your thumb would get hurt. Except when you're playing in some kind of event which is dedicated to VF playing nearly 24/7.
    Just said this because that message of yours was kinda generalizing, Elite.

5. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    What do you mean there aren't many fast stagger situations in battle? As soon as your opponent finds out you struggle like a sissy girl you'll be eating stumble throws etc all day long. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. Ryadus

Ryadus Well-Known Member

No, no, no. You didn't get my point. That's what I meant. Those 'fast stagger throws' are the rare ones that I meant. You can avoid them by doing throw escapes and playing safe game. I didn't say it wouldn't be risky to play if you're a slow staggerer, but there're hardly so many fast staggering in battles that your thumb would get hurt. That was my point. I don't think no one can throw you with a stagger throw three times in a row!

7. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    It's not just fast stagger situations because any stagger situation is hard to get out of if you can't struggle well.

Maybe I'm just worse than the average pad player when it comes to struggling, although it seems unlikely.

8. DissMaster

DissMaster Well-Known Member

Shitty Two Cents

I must put my shitty two cents in.

As a former pad player who used the shoulder buttons, I can say that assigning commands to the shoulder buttons confers no advantage upon the pad player. It merely gives him closer to equal footing with the stick user.

The stick user has just three buttons, but how hard is it to hit two or three buttons at the same time? I am not perfect with all my inputs, but I rarely mess up on, say tech rolls because I find it too difficult to hit the buttons at the same time.

Pad players who use their left thumb for [P],[K],and[G] are at a disadvantage because it's harder to hit [P] or [K] the instant that they let off [G].

Pad players who use the shoulder buttons and play with the three fingers on the main buttons are still at a disadvantage. It's awkward to hit the right shoulder buttons, and your left hand has not only joystick responsibilites, but is responsible for some button presses as well.

It's also much harder to quickly input directions on a pad which makes dashing, multiple throw escapes, and combos much harder. (Best example is Akira's DLC- damn hard on a pad. I'd been using pads since I was 10 and could never do the DLC consistenly on the DC or PS pad. It took very little time to be able to pull it off once I'd switched to a stick).

In short, pad players are at a big disadvantage no matter what. A person can be decent and have fun playing with crazy input practice, learning the game, staying within his abilities input-wise, and being a good predicter. But it would be very very hard in my opinion to become a kick ass player on pad.

I've played against several (American) pad players and I never felt like any of them could spank me VF-wise. Still fun to play with, but I think the pad is a big handicap.

Who are the best Western pad players anyway?

9. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

Re: Shitty Two Cents

[ QUOTE ]
    SgtRamrod said:
    Pad players who use the shoulder buttons and play with the three fingers on the main buttons are still at a disadvantage. It's awkward to hit the right shoulder buttons, and your left hand has not only joystick responsibilites, but is responsible for some button presses as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it doesn't make sense to me why you'd use the three-finger approach and still use the shoulder buttons. I always thought that way of playing was to actually avoid using the shoulder buttons, to simplify things a bit.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your statement though, that using the shoulders for bindings isn't cheating but more like equalizing the game a bit for pad players. It's much easier to be fast and accurate on a stick than a pad, and even with using the shoulder buttons it is still pretty hard to be fast.

Besides, most importantly pad players can spend less time focusing on how to nail strings on a pad, and more time learning how to apply and modify those strings. Less time spent on learning the basics of gameplay means more time spent learning the higher forms of play.

10. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ME! /versus/images/graemlins/lol.gif

11. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    kungfusmurf said:

ME! /versus/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ME! /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /versus/images/graemlins/deadpan.gif /versus/images/graemlins/tear.gif /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif /versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /versus/images/graemlins/lol.gif /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    SgtRamrod said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

13. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    SgtRamrod said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Elite.

14. Ryadus

Ryadus Well-Known Member

How pitiful. How can you say who is the best western pad player when you haven't seen everyone of them. There're loads of players here on VFDC whose matches or skills you haven't seen or faced. You really can't say who is the best. I, too, am a pad player, and I could say I'm the best but on what grounds?

15. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Agreed. When I posted up who I think, it is an opinion based upon who I have seen/played/heard of.

16. Ryadus

Ryadus Well-Known Member

Yeah, and even if some players seem to be very skillful on a video, it doesn't necessary mean they are equally good against everybody. It might be because the opponent is either loser or has just a bad day. The best argument to say whether someone is good or not is facing him. If you beat him ten times in a row, then he probably ain't too good /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

17. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

To a point yes. But also, I have never played * insert top Japanese player* but I know that they are good. You don't Have to play someone to know that they are good, though it is the only way to know whether you are better than them for sure. That's why when people ask who is the best/who would win/could you beat.......questions, you can really only give an opinion unless you have played them.

I'll give you a classic example of misguided opinions:

LM_Akira against myself.

Now Chris is a sound guy, he knows EVERYTHING about the game and can near enough excecute any combo you can think of. I on the other hand find doing the most simple of commands a chore (I'm talking about doing Akira's shoulder ram). I also know very little about the game in terms of frame data, max damage combos, who can do what from what situations etc. This should then lead people to think that Chris would be able to beat me quite comfortably, yet when we play I am able to consistantly win.

And yes, I know that there is more to the game than just frames and commands, (Yomi, Nitaku etc), but my point is that although I gave my opinion on the question asked, I will not try and argue that I AM RIGHT, because it is very possible that I am wrong, but from what information I have got to based my opinion on, Elite is the best pad player.

Btw, I wonder what would happen if someone was to ask the same question about stick users...........

18. LM_Akira

LM_Akira Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If you beat him ten times in a row, then he probably ain't too good .

[/ QUOTE ]

Winning 10 times in a row is neither here nor there.

If a person is having a bad day, they could lose 20 in a row depending on the situation.

Like Ev2 hinted at, it's all about consistency, it's not about XX wins on the trot. Like he pointed out, he consistently beats me when we play...it doesn't matter if he wins 3 in a row or 6.

As another example, SlimAdey, another player who plays in our group, well, me and him tooth and nail it at the best of times. Sometimes he'll go 8-2 ahead of me in matches and I'll get it back to 7-9 or something. Sometimes I'll go 6-0 ahead but he'll get it back to 8-5 or something.

I wouldn't say either one of us is better than the other seen as tho we consistently end with a 50% win ratio each (more often than not).

Watching videos of players can be a very bad way to judge skill level of VF I find. It's impossible to know what's actually going on at the time the video is being recorded. Yes it's easy to watch a video and say "they were crap, they got battered" or "man he was mean, he owned that guy" but within reason, it's best to reserve judgement until you know if a player is consistently good or bad.

There's no real substitute for getting out there and playing real players

19. Ryadus

Ryadus Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    LM_Akira said:

There's no real substitute for getting out there and playing real players

[/ QUOTE ]

You hit the head of the nail, buddy. That was my real point, and maybe I really said too much. Losing ten times in a row ain't new for me /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

20. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Exactly right, Chris. That's why you should come down to London on the 30th with me!!!!!!!