1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How to do low throw?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by chrono, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Vith_Dos

Vith_Dos Well-Known Member

Re: Shitty Two Cents

more shitty two cents.

Playing on pad is a handicap., plain and simple. Of course this is opinion but after nearly two years of playing vf on pad (there are others here who've been playing longer on pad) I can say its very true. My input at one point was very good, to where I could play good players and understand my mistakes, but it took tons and tons of input training.

just to be short, here are the common disadvantages :
    Input Percsision
    IInput Speed
    Limited Area of play (only at home no arcades)

In the end, play what you want. I still enjoy pad , but by no means is it superior to stick., and by no means is a person on stick unbeatable by a person on pad, just takes a lot more practice.

2. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

Re: Shitty Two Cents

[ QUOTE ]
    Ryadus said:
    hurrrrrrr durrrrrrrrrrr watch me backpedal

[/ QUOTE ]

3. Pinokkio

Pinokkio Member

Default = cheating?

Just to get this straight: the game's default on my VF4E pad setup (you know, the one the game comes configured as when you first start it) has the shoulder buttons configured as P+G, P+K+G, P+K, K+G; and using this would be considered cheating by some people here?

I agree that I should consider getting myself a nice stick sometime (probably right after I finish my arcade cabinet:), but until then I think I should be able to use the game's defaults without being called a cheater...

4. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

Re: Default = cheating?

Single button = multiple commands = cheating.

But, nobody really cares what you do in your own home.

5. Pinokkio

Pinokkio Member

Hmm, wouldn't you say it's rather odd that Sega would make a cheating setup the default for the pads?

6. Horsepool

Horsepool Well-Known Member

Pinokkio, don't pay attention to these elistists.
    Honestly, find something better to post about then "The Horrors of Multiple Command Buttons!"

7. Painty_J

its only considered cheating by people who play on joysticks heeheee

8. Pinokkio

Pinokkio Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Horsepool said:

Pinokkio, don't pay attention to these elistists.
    Honestly, find something better to post about then "The Horrors of Multiple Command Buttons!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I'm a newbie to the game, and to the forum, and already saw my first pick (Goh) being trounched in all the posts, so I figured I'd at least chip in on this discussion. /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. Horsepool

Horsepool Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Painty_J said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I play on a joystick. Much easier IMHO. But the multibuttons are a gawdsend for the default controls for the controller.

10. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

I play on pad and have never found any need to play with them.

11. Painty_J

[ QUOTE ]
    vanity said:

[/ QUOTE ]

thats because you are godlike

12. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

well finally someone sees the light /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

13. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    vanity said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed whole heartedly.

Pinocchio, you're right, the game does come on those settings, but you miss the bigger picture:

IT IS AN ARCADE GAME, IT WAS MADE TO BE PLAYED IN THE ARCADE, AND IT IS MENT TO BE PLAYED ON THREE BUTTONS.

Look at the diagram of the controller on training mode (you know, the one on the game) and you will see how it is supposed to be played....

14. Pinokkio

Pinokkio Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Ev2 said:
    IT IS AN ARCADE GAME, IT WAS MADE TO BE PLAYED IN THE ARCADE, AND IT IS MENT TO BE PLAYED ON THREE BUTTONS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arcade ... arcade .. I seem to remember those, from a long long time ago. Back in the days when playing Black Dragon/Black Tiger was still a new thing...

Actually, there's an arcade here in Almere, but you won't find VF games there. In the mean time I'm stuck with a joypad and a PS2, since MAME doesn't support this game yet, and my arcade machine isn't ready yet anyway. Perhaps I'll wire the PS2 in there as well while I'm at it, but until that time I'm sure you'll forgive me for using the default pad setting, and not call me a cheater during that time. Since I've played the game for about 6 hours now, and am proud that my Goh has reached 1st Dan, I don't think I'll be a challenge to anyone here yet for a while. /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'll try to have the stick usage under control by the time I do (if ever).

15. DissMaster

DissMaster Well-Known Member

Goddammit. It is not cheating to map shoulder buttons.

The game is really designed to be played on an arcade stick. No one fucks up hitting [P]+[K] or[G]+[P]or[K]+[P]+[G]or [K]+[G] on a stick. No part of the challenge of playing VF comes from hitting the buttons at the same time.

The more buttons one maps, the more buttons one will have to hit in a game, further handicapping the pad player. Shoulder-button mapping really only helps pad players who use their thumb on the face buttons, and these players still have other handicaps that have been discussed already.

So, it cannot be called cheating when the suppossed cheater has numerous disadvantages when compared to the person playing the game the way it was designed to be played (the joystick user).

I don't know how many ways this can be said.

Just because you can't handle the stick doesn't mean you should act like the Alpha-Pad User who issues decrees from on high.

Pad Scrubs: Keep mapping your buttons if it makes you happy.

16. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    SgtRamrod said:

No one fucks up hitting [P]+[K] or[G]+[P]or[K]+[P]+[G]or [K]+[G] on a stick. No part of the challenge of playing VF comes from hitting the buttons at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one should 'fuck up hitting [P]+[K] or[G]+[P]or[K]+[P]+[G]or [K]+[G]' on a pad either.
    If this command is easy to do on a stick, then it sure as hell isn't going to be much harder on a pad.

As for trying to say that none of the challenge of playing VF comes from hitting buttons at the same time, you are wrong. Inputs on this game are hard. Fair enough, pressing P+K together isn't hard, but when you are using very advanced tactics, such as ETTEG, or ARE, and maybe if you are trying to do this whilst using Akira and having to do his 'over the top' inputs, it all adds up to be a rather difficult continuation of inputs, which are going to require you to be good with inputs, and be able to concentrate for a long time, otherwise you are going to foul up, and end up doing something like 'Evade - Whiffed Throw'.
    When you start to simplify the commands IN ANY WAY, you are making things easier than they were intended to be, thus you are not playing the game properly.............

17. DissMaster

Sigh. If using a control pad the way it was designed to be used, ie with your thumb over the buttons, it becomes more difficult to hit two or three of the three buttons simultaneously. On a joystick, it is not difficult at all.

Playing with the three fingers on the pad can be done, but it is awkward and unnatural.

Maybe you guys think that hitting the buttons simultaneously is tough. It's not for me.

It is easier to hit the simultaneous button combinations on a joystick than on a pad with the shoulder buttons mapped, thus mapping the buttons gives a person no real advantage for anyone to bitch about.

18. Painty_J

[ QUOTE ]
    Painty_J said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    SgtRamrod said:

[/ QUOTE ]

EV2, how big are the buttons on a stick? Who plays games on a gamepad with a finger over each button? How comfortable is it? How easy it is when your finger is bigger than the button to miss it, or slip and hit another button? On a joystick that's no problem at all, the buttons are huge and well spaced. On a gamepad, not so much. The game was meant to be played not by the physical way you press the buttons or map them, but by the techniques and actions you do on the screen.

[ QUOTE ]
    Painty_J said:

its only considered cheating by faggots heeheee

[/ QUOTE ]

i think im gonna change my quote next time to this

19. Vith_Dos

Vith_Dos Well-Known Member

I guess if I was using the turbo glove to play vf and mapped P+K K+G and P+K+G to different fingers I'd be a big cheater . Point is, what does it matter? Is it so much of a big deal that the person playing on the pad has an extra button to press and you dont? Play on pad if you think it makes it easier, I'm sure you'll find out it doesnt, and when it comes to vf if you think mapping buttons is cheating, then your a snausage eating scumtart.

20. DissMaster

Right On Vith.

I play with an Hori VF4 stick. I have three buttons. If I played with a stick with 6 buttons (Capcom style) I still wouldn't map any button combos to the other buttons because I would just be making shit more complicated for myself.