1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How to improve reaction speed??

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Neo, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Neo

Neo Well-Known Member

I find that I get hit by [P]-->Throw and [2][P]-->Throw and other fast moves-->Throw way too much.It is costing me almost every match I lose.

How can I improve my reactions to this sort of thing. If I set up stuff like [P]-->Throw on training I can react everytime but that`s cos it is not really a surprise as such......

Any advice on something I can set up that would help for a real match situation

2. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    I don't think your problem is reaction speed as much as learning what your opponent does in certain situations. If the person you play against knows that you fall for P-throw all the time, they're likely to keep using it the same way. Learn to know when it's coming, that way you don't have to act on reflex after the P hits you (I don't know how many people can actually do that, anyway).

Also, learn when you're vulnerable to P-throw (after certain moves, etc) so you know when an unfamiliar opponent might try it on you.

Finally, search for a thread called Dealing with P-Throw right here on this board.

3. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

Incresing reflex is a hard thing to do. Back in the day in Ver C, when I watched clips of Japanese players, I was amazed by how fast they are and thought that I would never get any close. But, as I keep playing VF, I found my reaction speed getting faster and faster.

Believe in yourself and keep playing hard,bro. You will see yourself getting quicker and quicker as you keep playing.

As far as dealing with P throws, try high punch them back as soon as you get hit by a punch and after that, throw them with the best throw you have. Even very experienced players won't be able to break your throw, since chances are, they wouldn't be ready for your action.

If you succeed using P throw back on your opponent when your oppenent tried to P throw you, they will get discouraged and start using P, elbow or something. Then it is a start of another guessing game.

Good luck.

-maddy-

4. OneTooMany

OneTooMany Well-Known Member

Thats true.Experience helps alot in this game.Im still pretty new at vf but Ive played so much that my skills have improved fast.So like maddy said its pretty much a matter of pratice.In time you'll improve your timing and learn what attack to use in these situation.

5. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

Yeah, waht maddy says is very true. A lot of mid level players use [P]~throw, but can't deal with it very well. When ever you get [P]ed, just [P]~throw them back. The vast majority of intermediate players will get thrown everytime.

6. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    although you think setting up the cpu to do [P] throw is not that useful. I will have to disagree. The reason you don't find it useful is because your missing the point of practicing it imo. You should practice it so you can learn the timing of when to attack out of a [P] throw situation, because the timing changes depending on whether it's a normal, minor, or major counter hit. Also you will become comfortable and confident with the concept of attacking out of such a situation. Then afterwards the only thing you will need practice on is knowing when your opponent will try [P] throw. Even better with experience you will just start to sense it. Just the other day, I spodded my way out of a major counter elbow throw situation. I just sensed throw was coming and since I practiced the timing of when to input the first command for spod. It worked! So you should practice it even though you find it to be boring and useless. You will be surprised that it is not.

7. Neo

Neo Well-Known Member

Thanks! I thought about what Koujou Akira said and I found that it does help timing the moves properly.

I`m using Goh and I find the easiest things to hit back with in order are

[2][P] or any thing else you can mash out

[P]cancel can`t mash this cos of the [P][P] string

[4][P]+[K]

[4][6][P]or[4][6][P]+[K]

ss and 2 throw escapes

buffered[2_][6][P]+[K]

It`s not just the [P]-->Throw situation I also don`t react to staggers,charge moves like Wolf`s [P]+[K]

I also agree that a lot of people that use [P]-->Throw can`t deal with it properly.

I used to use Aoi so I know how good [P]-->throw can be against opponants who can`t deal with it

8. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    will goh cant really punish the [P] throw situation like akira can. So your best option imo, is to do [4][6]+[P] , or [K](normal). Also you should practice DTE, when you are hit by a [P] and you think they will try to throw. If they throw, and you guessed right, you escape. If they use a linear attack like elbow, you successfully dodge. However a full circular attack, lol your fucking, but that's the price you gotta pay. Imo it's worth the risk!

9. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

That's actually pretty damn safe, no one does [P]~circular attack very much anyway.

10. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

sup, ain't seen you around the UK scene for a while, u still in japan? - the scene here has gotten alot stronger nowadays, it's scary. /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

anyhow.. regarding your topic, i normally deal with the P throw tactic by fuzzy guarding if my understanding of it is to bounce halfway from crouch & standing, then rise up - defending both a mid attack and avoiding a high throw at the same time.. kindda like the defend exercise in trail training mode where akira puts you at disadvantage with a PK, then chooses to either low backfist, dblpm, or throw (except key elements here would be to avoid dblpm or throw).. it's quite easy once you get the hang of it, well it's helped me out anyhow. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif (btw, use the defending exercises in the challenge mode, it will get you reacting much faster)

edteg is nice too, but i'm not great at those, i normally stick with ECD guard, but hey that's just me^^.

EDIT: , goh's standing [K] is a gift in disadvantage situations... abuse it ^__^

11. Cupcake_Desu

Cupcake_Desu Well-Known Member

i was wondering what happened to that guy, his goh was a killa, but i thought his aoi was much better. Why u in japan?

12. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    although fuzzy guarding is an option. It will NEVER work against Jeff or Wolf. You can not fuzzy against a +2 advantage. So I recommend practicing DTE against [P] throw.

13. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

Unless you block a high punch, fuzzy is not an option since getting hit by either a high punch or a low punch gives you enough disadvantage to not be able to duck in time.

If you are already in crouch position when you get hit by a low punch, you can fuzzy stand up to block a mid attack while avoiding throws. Timing required.

14. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Here is a good exercise to use to practice reaction.

Record the CPU to do the following actions
    1) Dash -> [P] -> Throw
    2) Dash -> [P] -> [2][P] -> [2][P]
    3) Dash -> [P] -> Fastest mid of the opponent
    4) Dash -> [2][P] -> [2][P] -> [2][P]
    5) Dash -> [2][P] -> Throw

The object here is ... if cpu runs in to [P], then you would fuzzy the throw and mid option. if you duck the throw, react to throw the whiffed throw, or whatever. if you fuzzy the mid, react with throw or p, lp or whatever. If you fuzzy and blocked the lp, then elbow it. if the opponent runs in to lp, MC elbow the second lp. If you notice that the cpu is lp->throwing you, then your reaction to blocked lp is too slow.

I find this a useful way to build reaction speed. You might also try to let CPU MC hit you with any of those and practice EDTEG or whatever. Good Luck. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

15. stalwartsamurai

stalwartsamurai Well-Known Member

I improve my reactions by playing in the Hyper Battle tournmnet in event square.

16. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

fuzzy guarding is also useful in other hit ~ throw setups - and i am pretty sure that anybody who can't deal with [P]~throwing probably could'nt deal with hit throwing in general (or atleast i sure as hell can't). In that sense, i would find fuzzy guarding more easier to perform than an EDTEG.. which i'd personnally only do at large advantage (and even then i'd stick with ECD becasue of wolf's annoying catch throws, but hey that's just me.)

P ~ throwing, you are right however, i'll declare that straight.. but if you are crouching and eat a low P however, then yeah, it can still be done /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

17. Neo

Neo Well-Known Member

Hi guys..... I`m on a one year VISA studying Japanese in preperation to enter university next September. I heard from Ryan that the vf scene in the uk has improved a lot..... I won`t be back until next may.....

The truth is that I lost my Aoi card and I couldn`t be bother to restart it from stratch so I don`t really play Aoi anymore.

I`ve started using Jacky and Kage too..... Jacky was mainly cos of Haijin his Jacky was so impressive in that tournament and not the usual boring p-->elbow--> elbow etc.

I have a question..... why would I want to do [K] with goh in this situation it takes only 30 damage and leaves us equal and I`m risking a big knee or other floater. I will keep practicing DTE.

My fuzzy guarding is fine but I can`t really do the guard training number 4 reliably I always make some kind of mistake.

18. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

heh, yeah, there's more players entering the UK scene so it's expanding as well as improving (and becomming more fun) - all media is in the media forum (london related), there is more confidence in matches, and it helps to play ryan and dai often too for improving.

have you met any heads down there in japan? mabye you can share some insight in the jamboree section /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

btw - just to stay on topic, another good method to use in those situations which i forgot to mention is the box step (BD ~ ECD )or EDTE) to BD away from short reach as well as avoid a linear attack with the cancelled E (however GS will probably catch anyhow due to it's sick reach). but yeah, EDTE is good if you can do it (i have troubles with that myself due to pulling out sloppy throws at the end of it)

EDIT: included second box step variation.

19. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    yamato said:

Thanks! I thought about what Koujou Akira said and I found that it does help timing the moves properly.

I`m using Goh and I find the easiest things to hit back with in order are

[2][P] or any thing else you can mash out

[P]cancel can`t mash this cos of the [P][P] string

[4][P]+[K]

[4][6][P]or[4][6][P]+[K]

ss and 2 throw escapes

buffered[2_][6][P]+[K]

It`s not just the [P]-->Throw situation I also don`t react to staggers,charge moves like Wolf`s [P]+[K]

I also agree that a lot of people that use [P]-->Throw can`t deal with it properly.

I used to use Aoi so I know how good [P]-->throw can be against opponants who can`t deal with it

[/ QUOTE ]

In disadvantaged situations isn't Goh's [P]+[K] with buffered throw escapes really good since it can brake the mid elbow or punch/throw mixup?

20. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

Box step will fail to immediate throws unless your at a small disadvantage though won't it? Evade might be better at those times.

Box step seems v good after blocked [2][P].