1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How to make mpeg, asf, wmv, from recorded fight?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Guest, Dec 17, 2000.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I have about 3 tapes filled with vf3 fights and I would like to know how to make some of them into mpeg, wmv or whatever format.
    These fights are no way near the skill that exists within the videos I have downloaded from the net. This is probably because the
    only one I can play against is my friend, it doesn't seem to be a lot of VF interested people here in Gothenburg (sweden).
    All of the fights are between me and him (my firend). Even though we (well I do at least) suck, I would like to show the world
    how much. So anyone with some expertise within this area is welcome to oblige.

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    The first thing you're going to need is a video capture device. This is usually in the form of an internal card that plugs into your PC, or an external peripheral that connects via a free port (parallel, usb, etc). I recommend you get one of the internal card variety to save yourself from any data throughput issues (basically, internal cards are way faster).

The second thing you do is feed the output of your VCR (or any source really) into your capture device, and begin recording. This is usually done via software bundled with your card, or software developed by a 3rd party. The end result of this process is usually a raw video file, usually in the avi format. Since it's raw (uncompressed and probably not encoded), this file is going to be huge, so the size (and speed) of your disk is also an issue.

At this stage you'll probably want to edit your clips together into a movie. Depending on the card, you may have non-linear editing (NLE) software bundled with your card, or you can use a package developed by a 3rd party. I, as well as most people I know, use Adobe's Premiere.

The final step is to take your movie and encode it. The codec you choose is entirely up to you, and it is recommended you try the various codecs to get a feel for the differences (compression, quality, etc) but it's usually best to stick to widely used formats such as mpeg.

If you haven't already done so, try searching the forum for "capture cards" for any other info that might help.

__
    m y k e
    how ya gonna win when ya ain't right within?

3. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

you'll need a computer and a capture card to begin with.
    If you've got those then you are halfway there. The next
    step is to get conversion programs like XingMPEG or Windows
    media 7 encoder. Windows Media Encoder is free and that
    can be important sometimes. The media encoder (WMV) can
    be downloaded from Microsoft's site.

Without knowing what resources you have at your disposal
    I cannot really give you too much more information. The
    most crucial part, of course, is the capture card.
    Without it you'll never get to make the intial jump from
    VHS to computer. I don't know about Macs but PC capture
    cards are plentiful and getting cheaper all the time.

Hope this little bit helps,

GE

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks guys

Really appreciate it, while posting this trying to find a so called "capture card".
    Suggestions on a good capture card are welcome. The software is no problem,
    I have adobe premiere lying around (just got to find it). I will also download media
    encoder 7 and try it out. Hope to put up my 1337 videos soon :)

5. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

Re: Thanks guys

My answer is totally biased but...ATI cards are very nice.
    KBCat gave me his old one and I think its amazing. He's
    since gotten a far superior one so maybe he can extol about
    its virtues.

The one I'm using piggybacks onto my regular ATI video card
    but you can get the "all in wonder" variety which provide
    capturing and video acceleration in one shot. niiice.

GE