1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How to Mod a Hitbox

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by DomAug, Dec 27, 2012.

1. DomAug

DomAug dom Content Manager Lion Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    domaug
    This thread will be updated with more info and pictures as I get more modifications done with my new Hitbox.

I contacted the masterminds behind the Hitbox (Shawn and Dustin Huffer) to learn how to modify my Hitbox and they provided the following information.

The top panel fasteners on my Hitbox model (the dual-modded version) are actually snap rivets. These can be undone from the bottom. The bottom panel fasteners are 2mm Allen screws. Each corner screw is actually a rubber foot for the bottom of the Hitbox. These can be removed by your fingers or with a pair of pliers, but the screws themselves are actually a part of each rubber foot. Initially, I thought the rubber feet just concealed the screws, but they are actually the screws. Pretty cool design if you ask me.

To remove the middle bottom screws, just use a 2mm Allen key to remove them. The bottom panel should then come right off and grant you access to all of the wiring and parts. Since the dual-modded version uses a PS360+ PCB, I'm very tempted to buy/borrow from someone a dedicated PS2 cable to try using this thing on a PS2. If I get my hands on one and try it out, I'll let everyone in here know the results of my testing.

At this point, just when it comes to parts, modification should be very straight-forward if you have experience modding joysticks. If you don't, all it comes down to is knowing which wires go where into the PCB and removing them from the buttons you want to swap out for new ones. I haven't opened mine up yet, but I expect the ground wires to be daisy-chained together since the PS360+ only has two dedicated ground terminals (each button requires a signal wire to direct it to the proper response on the PCB and a ground wire, so with only two dedicated ground terminals, it would make sense that the buttons are daisy-chained together to one ground terminal).

Removing the top panel involves removing the snap rivets from the inside. To do this, the Huffers suggested using something flat to push them out (so they don't hurt your finger) and prying them from the top surface out of the plexi panel with a flathead screwdriver or your fingernails.

Unfortunately, much like the Eightarc Fusion stick, the design is screen-printed on the plexi panel, so if you want to use your own artwork, you have to either buy a clear plexi panel from them directly or wash the design off with acetone (nail polish remover). The latter is more tedious but will save you money.

2. DomAug

PSN:
    domaug
    ok now i have a very small video briefly describing an approach to modding your Hitbox :D

EvenPit likes this.
  3. DomAug

PSN:
    domaug
    HERE ARE SOME UPDATES WITH MY CONTINUED UNDERSTANDING OF HOW TO MOD MY HITBOX:

i've run into a snag trying to wash the screen-printed design off my plexi... the bottom portion of the plexi is protected with a thick layer of some kind of flexible plastic or rubber or something, which won't allow me to remove the design. i fear my only option for using my own art is buying a clear plexi from the Huffer brothers directly (which, according to their email to me, retails for about $20, which is very expensive for a plexi panel, unless that includes the shipping).

also, as far as removing the buttons goes, for my Hitbox, removing the 24mm buttons is effortless. however, when i got to the 30mm button, it was so tight in the metal panel that i had to push the button out from its bottom while holding in the tabs. it was a real pain and it just will not move an ounce when it's in there. the 24mm buttons could spin freely if you tried spinning them in place, but not the 30mm button.

wiring is very sloppy as shown in my video. however, here's the wiring setup as far as the PCB labeling goes:

LEFT -- DOWN -- RIGHT --------- 1P -- 2P -- 3P -- 4P
    ------------------------------ UP --- 1K -- 2K -- 3K -- 4K

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    You can try to find company who will cut you plexiglass with laser for like half price.
    Just recently, I ordered new template for my hitbox. Laser cut out of solid 3mm steel. The price (material including) is like 8 bucks. Dunno how different will the prices be in US, but doubt it will be much.

5. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Holy moly Unicorn where the hell did you find someone who could laser cut for you at only 8 bucks?!!?!?!!? People in NYC won't even look at me when I asked places that had a laser cutter to do the kind of job I asked. They were basically like "that shit aint worth the time it will take me to line it up to cut". No joke that is literally what they said.

6. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    In the village right next to the one where I live? :D
    But they do only steel and other metals, not plexi unfortunatelly

The shipping into US will be like twice the cutting price lololol

7. DomAug

PSN:
    domaug
    i appreciate the advice, but i'm looking for a plexi, so this won't help me... :\

until Art's Hobbies decides to make Hitbox plexi panels available for sale, i'm SOL unless i fork over $20 for a clear plexi.

8. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    There are companies who cut plexi as well. Just not this one :D
    Also, you can buy plexi and cut it yourself. Time-consuming, but cheap solution.

9. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    actually THIS company is like 20 km from my place.
    Their pages are saying the price is individual, depending on size, material, how much they cut... but that the price should be 10 bucks or more.

Actually this makes me guess about my own hitbox... :D

10. Tricky

How do folks here feel about having an iPad app that would let you practice your hitbox inputs with some kind of visual feedback ? I'm seriously thinking about building an app to do that. It'd be a great way to practice certain techniques that you just need to get in your fingers, but you could practice it on the subway, train, airplane, office waiting room. Shit you could even do it while in class.

What do folks think, and what would you want in it? Right now I'm thinking of making it with the option of having different SOCD methods. So you could have the 4+6 = 5 and 2+8=5 or the 2+8=8. Then I'd have some place on the screen to show you the directional you just hit. Maybe even have a way to tell the program what you want to drill and it will tell you how many times you got it correct.

I dunno there are a lot of possibilities.

DomAug and cobratron like this.
  11. DomAug

PSN:
    domaug
    if you could somehow make the app work for iPhone and iTouch, id be all for it.

12. Tricky

I don't see it working on iphone because the screen is too small to fit the layout of the hitbox. It wouldn't really serve the right purpsoe.

13. DomAug

PSN:
    domaug
    the iphone version could have just L, D, and R, forcing the end user to use a button or something for the up button :)

just spitballing here

14. Tricky

Na that's a good idea actually! So folks would want this then? I'll get to coding it asap.

Also how much do folks feel is a good price for it?

15. capt_catalina

capt_catalina Well-Known Member

PSN:
    capt_catalina
    @ Tricky, Toodles of Godlike Controls sells an SOCD cleaner for a hitbox setup, which seems to be geared towards charge characters in Street Fighter. How it handles both 4+6 and 2+8 situations is quite unique.

For example, if 2 is held down, then you press 8 while still holding 2, instead of getting neutral, you would get 8. Upon releasing 8, you would get 2 again. 4+6 is also treated in the same manner.

In Super Street Fighter II Turbo, charge characters like Guile and Vega (Claw) benefit highly due to less dexterity required to perform their specials and metered attacks. When both fighters have a super of charge 1, then 3,1,9+K, it helps to have this lenience from your equipment. ;-)

16. Tricky

I actually got a SOCD from Toodles in my stick now. I'm a big fan of it.

17. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

keeping in mind the 1% of 1% niche you're aiming at, I'd never price over .99 unless you offered more than the basic button layouts and inputs. Or you could go "freemium"

18. Tricky

yeaaah .99 will work. It costs money to put the thing up on the app store. Unless I put ads in the thing. Maybe free +adds or .99 with no ads.

19. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

I thought they just took 30%. You actually have to pay to publish it and then they take 30%?

20. Tricky

thats word on the street