1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How to punish with Aoi

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by TRI Mike, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    That's a good point, but in the end I have to side with kingo here.

For an example, let's discuss Pai's [9][K][K] in particular. Noting that Pai is at -19 when this move is blocked, launching her with either [3][3][P][+][K] or [6][6][K] after blocking her [9][K][K] should theoretically be easy to do under any circumstance -- offline or online. Now blocking and then launching Pai in this situation is actually easy to do while playing offline in any mode. However, when playing online it's damn near impossible to hit Pai with either of those 18-frame attacks largely because of that lost frame, even during really smooth connections. And as a result, I find I have to resort to secondary options like [3][K][+][G] or [6][K][K] to get decent punishment damage after a blocked [9][K][K] quite often.

Kruza

2. MannyBiggz

MannyBiggz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    MannyBiggz
    XBL:
    Manello Biggz
    The fact that people feel the need to dumb themselves down due to the failures of online is exactly why I still can't take online fighting games seriously. That's a whole other can of worms though. Just know that if you plan on playing competitively offline, it's worth getting the timing on your proper punishers down. At least that's how I see it.

3. kingo

kingo My bitch G0d3L is a scrub Content Manager Aoi

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4

Really ? Then try it after blocking Sarah's 6PK ( -18 ) and tell me how many times you can punish with 66K or 33P+K. My ratio success is 0%.

4. MannyBiggz

PSN:
    MannyBiggz
    XBL:
    Manello Biggz
    After five minutes of practice, I got about a 75% success rate. This is easily achievable. You just have to practice inputting the 66 or 33 the moment you see her knee comes out then let go of G and hit K or P+K. I guess I'm just used to other games with WAAAAAAAAAAAY more strict buffer windows, but this seems like a fairly easy thing to achieve consistently to me.

5. kingo

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    Actually, I was mistaken about her move 6PK. For sure it's easy to do in practice mode when you know the dummy are going to do that move. But in an actual match ?

It was after her sweep 3K+G that I can't punish at all with 66K or 33P+K, not 6PK.

Kruza, Pai's 9KK is -19 on block so you should be able to punish it consistently since you have 1 more frame.
    And don't talk about online lol. Also you can just punish with 33P - P+G hit throw.

6. MannyBiggz

PSN:
    MannyBiggz
    XBL:
    Manello Biggz
    Sweep being a single hit move is a little tougher, but still doable with practice. Also, I think you're misunderstanding something about "on the frame" punishment in fighting games. Unless there's a huge blockstun on a unsafe move, punishing unsafe moves on the exact frame is supposed to be more of a prediction thing than a reactionary thing. This doesn't apply so much for easy input moves, but moves with multi directional inputs, like Aoi's primary launchers, this is definitely the case.

In the example of that Sarah sweep, you should be inputting that 66 buffer the moment you're crouch guarding in anticipation and hitting the K when you confirmed that it's a sweep. People that play footsies in 2D fighters are very familiar with this kind of thing. It's tough to get the hang of at first, but if you practice it, it's a tool that can make you a better player overall. I see no reason why it can't be applied in this game.

7. kingo

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    Oh, but I got it.
    In theory, with perfect input skillz and against a predictable player / masher ( you may just use reversal in that case ) you're right, but in actual game, nobody do it and prefer the hit throw.

I even saw japanese Aoi players punishing Sarah's 6PK with just PK lol

8. Neonomide

Neonomide Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Neonomide
    Ok let's see, Lion's "awesome lows" as an example:

2 K+G = -21
    2KK = -18
    1K = -23
    3 K+G = -18
    PP P+K = -19
    hcf P = -16

Ok maybe a bit more often, just sayin' ;)

9. MannyBiggz

PSN:
    MannyBiggz
    XBL:
    Manello Biggz
    Yeah, but he's the exception more than the rule. He has an arsenal of good lows, but they're all high risk. In the grand scheme of things, I'd still call it very rare.