1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How VF and VFDC made me a better person! Thanks guys!

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by StoneColdSerb, Aug 3, 2003.

1. StoneColdSerb

StoneColdSerb Well-Known Member

Here’s a little story about being humbled and finding a special kind of joy long forgotten. It’s for all you good Virtua Fighters world-wide.

I’ve only recently been converted to the VF series, because I kept reading rave reviews about 4 Evo and the new Quest mode so I decided to give the series another go. (I had 3tb for the Dreamcast but didn’t like it very much, because at that point I was already way too far into Soul Calibur. ... I was young ... and needed the money...)

Now I’ve been playing fighting games for a while, basically since SF2 on the SNES. I fancy myself a decent SF and Samurai Spirits 2 player, rather average in the KoF and Fatal Fury series, reasonably competent in DoA3 and competent in Soul Calibur (oh, I’m shit at GGX2, but still trying). That is against the human competition I have had, meaning I can beat my mates. But since none of them really like to play fighting games, they are not very good, which is why I cannot consider myself “good†against human competition in any of those games. (It can be a lonely place if you are the only dude who’s into fighting games and all your buddies prefer FPS or soccer games...)

Against, the AI, however, it’s a whole different ballgame. I can pretty much beat all of the aforementioned games without a continue on the highest setting (except KoF that is) so imagine my amusement when I start the Quest mode and it suggest to be played on the “beginner†setting, if one happens to be new to the VF series. Yeah, my ass, I think and put it to normal and start playing... and proceed to have my ass handed to myself.

Fine, I think, maybe I just have to have a look at the controls and movelist, after all, so I quickly go to training mode, check out what I believe to be useful moves (playing Brad, btw.) but still I’m not winning. Damn, this really is not working for me... the computer is unfair... the world is against me.. IT’S A CONSPIRACY!!!

Realising that this might just be a long term investment of my time I go back to training, but this time I’m for real and actually paying attention. Oh, and next time I start Quest mode I chose the easy setting.

Long story short, last night I became Champion with Brad (no cheating, I’m not a punk with ego problems), I’ve joined VFDC and no other game has been in my PS2 since I bought 4 Evo four weeks ago. It took quite some time but I have finally seen the light. I’ve been humbled and I enjoy 4 Evo in the same way I enjoyed SF2 when I was 12 and managing to do a DP for the first time was REALLY exciting! This is awesome!

Cheers guys for a wonderful website and, from what I can tell by reading through the threads, a truly dedicated and knowledgeable community. You’ve managed to hook another one!

Watch this place, coz neither Germany nor Serbia will ever by the same, there’ll be some serious VF action coming in the future, if I have to build the respective communities from scratch, with those couple of fellow countrymen I have seen on VFDC! (or maybe they already exist and members are cursing my ignorance now...)

SCS.

PS: Switched to normal difficulty today and am doing good in the first couple of arcades. Still have to win my first fight against anything higher than protector, but wtf, that’ll come, I’m here for the long run.

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Are you in the UK? You have some strong human competition there if so, and you'll like vf even more once you discover the fun of mindgames.

In any case, have fun, keep playing, and build a community the next time you're in serbia or germany.

3. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

Excellent post. =) Keep it real Stonecoldsurb!

4. LM_Akira

LM_Akira Well-Known Member

Yes good stuff to hear...if you're ever passing through liverpool ever give me a shout out and we'll meet up or something and do some vf ing. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gifAre you in cardiff often??

5. KTallguy

KTallguy Well-Known Member

Heh... I used to live in frankfurt. I was a military brat.

Congrats on discovering an amazing fighting game.

6. StoneColdSerb

StoneColdSerb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind replys, guys. csnape, I'm currently up North in St Andrews finishing Uni, but I'll be travelling South to Worcester and Cardiff in the first couple of days of September. Since I'm passing liverpool anyway, I might just take you up on that offer, buddy. Should be nice to have my ass kicked by a human opponent for a change. Will check with you closer to the date. SCS

7. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

hey there welcome, i don't know the cardiff scene very well at all, but any time you're in london, and you want to play VF seriously (or casually) with lost of people, take alook at this page

at the moment it's all we got (which is no money involved spending on arcades), the organization is still experimenting, but the level of play and crowd is right up there.. *ahem:..not to brag, but i came second place last event underneath odu moudu /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif* - (although ryan hart did'nt really enter till about half an hour till the day ended. ^^)..

anywayz, c ya round...

8. LM_Akira

LM_Akira Well-Known Member

Hey looking forward to it.Give me a PM or send me an email closer to the time ( if I'm still here in liverpool that is).Just click on my profile to get my email.Have fun!

9. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

welcome dude.

10. Player_1

Player_1 Well-Known Member

What you're saying sounds really familiar to me Stonie: sadly enough what you said about your friends also counts 4 me: of all the mother&ù$ç& I know, 4 are still into games: nr.1 I can beat with any game holding the controller with my ass instead of my hands
    nr.2 throws his ctrller at the screen or my face when playing fighters: RPG's only
    nr.3 only plays Mortal Combat on his megadrive
    nr.4 I wish I never knew.

For me the love all began with Double Dragon II on Nes-I couldn't look over a table and my friend's older brother had to do the parts where you had to jump onto platforms, etc.. but the FIGHTING was awesome.

The next big thing was also 4 me: SFII- I had an older friend with 2 things: a treehouse and SFII. I couldn't care less about his treehouse but got my first gaming addiction /versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif on his SuperNes. I learnt that the red one was a bit stronger & the white one was a bit faster while I stopped pushing my buttons when that fire ball mostly accidentally came out.
    At the fair I could only look at the older guys doing infinite combo's with the latest Mortal Combat or Killer Instinct while I was dreaming about a DDII or SF-machine where I could be the show-off...

And then I heared devastating news-my best friend had seen a game where the camera actually 'turned around' the fighters: I was breaking my head thinking about something that would look like 'Parappa The Rapper' /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Not long after that I met met two things at the Arcade at sea during summer: VF and Tekken.
    I thought that 'turning around' looked awesome on the 3 fighters present: VF1 looked 2 square so I turned to Tekken1 wich looked 'round' till I saw the VF2-machine playing the most awesome thing I had ever seen...

Some time past and the fight between VF&Saturn and PSX&Tekken was won by PSX ( I was a pre-sk8er boy going with the flow) while my old love VF was pushed away by Tekken2(the only Tekken I really enjoyed) and Soul Blade.
    The money 4 the arcades was now spent on booze&other stuff making you /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif till I found my old love on PS2(TTT wasn't even bought & Tekken 4 sold after 2 weeks): but this pour m8 was playing 50Hz and so, forced to choose Jacky to get some speed in it: I took him 2 High King and didn't make time 4 the ocean of depth still on that disc. Having heard 'Muay Thaï' was now decently present in evolution the game was in My PS2 the 1st day it came out and 60 Hz made my day.

On a PSMag forum I found a link 2 you guy's which stopped me from having to search 1000's of threads containing nothing but absolute bull&§ç£ except 4 that one link...It's you guy's who got me searching everywhere 4 that old Ascii fighter stick nowhere to be found..and it's you guy's who made clear that's not even a bad thing(Hori, Catch22)...
    Just wanna say with all this that there's passion involved here and you guys are like the older bro taking time telling junior how to treat the ladies
    In my case it was how to treat Akira...Special THX to all of ya keeping this running while I'll do my best spreading the word