1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How well do you know the other characters?

Discussion in 'General' started by Temjin, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Happy_Friend

Happy_Friend Well-Known Member

I agree. Eileen, Brad, Shun, and Lei Fei have so many weird moves and strings and moves with magical "properties". I never feel comfortable fighting them once the moves start coming out. Eileen basically epitomizes everything that annoys me about VF5. I like the gameplay of earlier VFs better, but I do like the graphics and of course the online for VF5.

Character knowledge is my biggest weakness. It's kind of messed up that they made some stuff so out there, that you really can't learn the characters just by playing against them.

2. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I will always maintain lions low hitting two foot kick that looks mid was the most annoying thing I had to learn ever.

3. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

Figured I'd be wrong on some of them. Just going by trends, go
    fig that the newer characters don't follow trends very well.

4. Tricky

yeah am2 I guess wants to try and keep the game fresh I guess . . .

5. CobiyukiOS

CobiyukiOS Well-Known Member

There will always be a 1 in 12 to 1 in 9 chance of getting a throw escape. Depends on whether the character has a low throw or not.

6. Tricky

not really because people have a higher chance of using throws that do more damage so the proportions don't actually work out as simply as that.

7. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    But it doesnt help, say do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif throw escape against Sarah because she doesnt have a throw command ending in that direction... Its totally wasted effort.

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Nobi, I don't think you quite understand how Throw Escapes work. Where are you getting 1 in 12 or 1 in 9 from? I'm guessing that you started with 9 joystick directions (including neutral), and then say 3 more directions for low throws to give 12?

Firstly, no characters have a throw input on every possible joystick direction. In VF5 (and VF4Evo), all throw inputs end on a direction in the bottom half circle. So that only allows for 6 possible directions.

Secondly, you'll never be in a situation when you need to throw escape against both a high and low throw. It doesn't make sense. So continuing with your logic, in a high throw situation, you have a 1 in 5 chance, and in a low throw situation you have a 1 in 2 (or 1 in 3) chance since some characters have 2 low throws, and some have 3.

Thirdly, ever heard of mulitple throw escapes? The VF4Evo tutorial teaches this since I noticed you only play VF4 Evo on the PS2. With multiple throw escaping, you can increase your chance for throw escape success. It's possible to enter say 4 Throw Escapes in the allowed window, as demonstrated in one of the PS2 Evo Challenge Tutorials.

So when it comes to talking about chance of successful throw escape, technically speaking you could say there's a 4 in 6, or 67%, of escaping successfully. 67% of success is massive compared to the 8% or 11% you suggested. Of course, not everyone enters 4 throw escapes due to the difficulty, but going back to what I said earlier, part of knowing your opponent is knowing what their main throws are in order to help you escape them.

Check out the PS2 Evo tutorials on throw escaping, and/or have a read of Throw Escape in the wiki.

9. Raxel

Raxel Member

I agree to a point. I myself have enough trouble just knowing all of Jacky and Akira's moves (my mains) but that's not the games fault, just mine. I've played a few players who are great with multiple characters. The best player I have played online is 'Lemmy is the Game'. He might not win absolutely every match against me but he continually thrashes me with a different character every time. And the moves he does, I don't even see other people's main characters do.

There are players that can kill you everytime but I don't know how impressive it is if they are only ever using one or two characters. I think it shows more skill to be at an 8 or 9 out of ten level with all the characters that being an unstoppable 10 out of 10 with one character. It's hard to explain but you know what I mean right?

EDIT: I have only ever seen 2 players with the courage to play all 17 characters equally. Lemmy is great but I saw another player who claimed the same things but he wasn't very hard to beat. Still, props to him for not giving in and sticking with his most powerful. I'll check his name when I look at my friends list on the 360.

10. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it shows more skill to be at an 8 or 9 out of ten level with all the characters that being an unstoppable 10 out of 10 with one character. It's hard to explain but you know what I mean right?</div></div>I know what you mean and you're wrong. I'd rather not be a jack of all trades and master of none.

11. Tricky

players who think like that use that as a crutch to explain why they can't beat players who were smart enough to devote their time to learning how to play a single or select few characters really well. VF isn't the type of game (i.e. DOA) where you can be a master of all the characters at the same time unless you really have nothing better to do with your time than play a videogame, which i'm sure a lot of us do need to you know. . . live our lives.

12. FIGHT1NGV1PER

FIGHT1NGV1PER Active Member

Well I agree completely with Raxel. I am far more impressed with my brother's ability that anyone else I have seen. And as for not being able to beat "smart players who stick to one fighter" (moment to laugh at that please), my brother usually thrashes anyone, regardless of how "smart" they are. It just becomes more embarrassing losing on someone that can use your main as well as you can as well as being able to kill you with any of the other 16 fighters.

If you could do it, you would.

13. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Hey Raxel, have you tried playing Lemmy offline? A lot of people may seem better online than they actually are because of lag.

14. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

Darknes Redefine can use almost every character and he's pretty damn good with all of them.

16. Tricky

If you can't manage to beat someone who hasn't put the discipline in to rule a character then shame on you. I'm not saying there aren't people who can just pick up a character and beat me with them other than their main, but that's normally because their reading of me is better than my reading of them so they were going to win reardless because they're just overall better than I am, but once they bring their main character back out they whip on me in a whole new dimension.

Sure if I wanted to water down my overall skills I could play all the characters equally well, but if you decided to put all the effort you're spreading across a cast of VERY different fighters into just one you'd get better a lot faster.

Can someone master all the characters, in theory yes, is it practical and worth the time, I would argue not.

YOu don't see master musicians playing 15 different wind instroments, 10 brass, percussion, and w/e else you can think of and being a master at them all. In theory yeah it can be done, but if they put all that effort into a few instruments instead of a bunch they would be much better than they would ever be if they kept spreading themselves too thin. It's like the overachieving highschooler who hasn't figured out that if they do too much crap they end up sucking at it all.

17. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

I don't play more than 2 guys at a time because that's all I can handle. I can't keep my moves as instinctual as when I'm just using one guy. Even with Goh and Lion only, I'll start mixing my moves up.

Darknes Redefine can beat me with many different people partly because he's legitimately good with the characters he uses and partly because he does always make good guesses (he's probably not gonna take a character online until he knows he's got a good shot of winning with them.) Also, as powerful as some universal defensive tactics can be, that immediately translates to any character. If you're good with ETEG and Fuzzy Guard, no one can take that away from you no matter which character you choose.

I've played Darknes Redefine many times, which probably helps him know my style too, but it's harder for me to get a read on him because he's rarely the same guy when I play him the next time. Learning his tendencies is hard because his strategy is always changing from guy to guy. In that sense, using several characters is an advantage over the long term...

As far as only using one guy, I don't think that's crucial to be really, really good by itself. I think using two characters is still in the realm of possibility for me. More than that, I personally can't do it, I'll hesitate with everyone too much because I'll be confused. To the people who can use many guys well, I respect that and I'm sure their "vs. character" knowledge is better than most... If I could do it, I might try, but it's just not within my ability to use many guys and still use them well. My skills peak-out at one or two characters so that's where I stay.

If it comes down to just diluting your skills by trying to use all 17 guys for the principal of it, I don't get that. I guess the most important thing is that you play the game however you enjoy it most. If you like using one guy best and that's how you feel most competitive, go for it. If you like the massive variety of fighting styles and have the urge to use them all, go for that too.

VF starts to suck when you take it too seriously. It can be so competitive and it can hurt to get your ass handed to you when you practice hard to be good. When you forget it's a game and get too much into the science of winning and make it the most important thing you stop having as much fun. "Low strong" is a perfect example of taking the game too seriously and putting too much emphasis on just winning and not "playing" the game.

Even when I'm losing horribly, I try to remind myself that I'm playing to have good time, not just to win.

18. Shinn_Akira

Shinn_Akira Well-Known Member

Well said!!!!

19. Reznor

Reznor Member

Well personally for me I only learn the moves that "annoyed" me the most :p

for example like Shuns kick 3kk (that's annoying....really :)) or many Lions low attack...and try to anticipated it with my best effort.

the point is if I'm going to learn every character in details (and not to mention the interaction between other character) I believe It's gonna take forever.
    Just play it for fun and you'll discover new things about your opponent each time you played it.

my opinion only /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

20. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    For beginning players Id advise to concentrate on one main character and have couple secondary characters in case playing the main starts to feel like a grind. You advance much faster this way compared to trying to learn all characters. There is much much more to a character than just a movelist..