1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How will 'Eing' work without and 'E' button?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by kbcat, Feb 23, 2001.

1. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Well folks? How do you think dodging will work? I certainly hope that it's not the Soul Calibur/Tekken system. I've never really liked either of them, although in Tekken you can at least dodge stuff.

cheers,
    kbcat -- I'm really going to miss the 'E'. What the hell will be the motion for the EBC? Shun's dodging cartwheel kicks? Arrgh.

2. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

I think it will be handled by double tapping up or down. Hopefully it is just a quick sidestep not the slow continuos walking that was in Soul Calibur. While we are on the subject I hope you can double tap the diagonals to quickly dash diagonaly.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

3. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

get to work!

it's 10:30 in the morning! What are you doing posting to
    the board. Don't you have stuff to do!?!?!?

I'm curious about the E'ing properties myself. I'm hoping
    for a quick dodge (as in VF3) that can be "cancelled" into
    an 8-way step. That way you have the best of both worlds.
    Old style E with new school movement.

My question is with the removal of an E button, with
    the joystick picking up the duty for 3D movement...how
    will they handle jumping/hopping?

GE

4. Hayai_JiJi

Re: get to work!

If you are refering to me posting I am at work. I answer phones for a living so I get to surf the net for eight hours a day. Whats your excuse?

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

5. GodEater

...um...my thread was under KBCat's own thread
    which means I was responding to him. My excuse
    is that this is my "office" day and that I have
    time to do other stuff besides just finish up
    paperwork from the week.

GE

6. Hayai_JiJi

I am sorry. The way I view threads it shows your post under mine.

7. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that there was a note somewhere (maybe a mistranslation?) of a new stick that is being experimented with. As in a new technology that might facility the 3d movement. However, it sounds too experimental (and expensive), so I'm not sure. I don't know if anyone remembers reading that, but I think it was on the translation of Suzuki's interview.

Tekken's 3d movement: I like it and hate it. Like the fact that it actually works. Hate how it is laggy in nature because it has to make sure you are not holding d (and also not in the crouched position already) as well as not holding up. Pre-planned it's fine and to facilitate the special movement that already existed, otherwise I don't really like it because it's not so instantaneous.

Soul Calibur's 3d Movement: Actually, after messing around with it, I found you can dodge insanely fast in this game. Just start wailing on like d and Guard, like: d, G, d, G, d, G, etc... However, because of Soul Calibur's attacker advantage (tracking, range, quick) nature, it sort of makes any dodging useless (I hope someone can prove me wrong). Dodging probably works well against higher level opponents while being crap against a masher who will just end up tracking your dodge on accident anyways.

DoA2's 3d movement system: UGGHHHHHH!!!!! Summers mentioned this to me and I practically agree (as it happens in my matches): I tend to only use it when my opponent is flying in the air or on the ground.

Oh yeah, Soul Edge had the d,d and u,u. I would like that better than the Tekken "laggy" system, but still wouldn't like it as a substitute for the Dodge button system. I really wasn't crazy about how dodges were done in VF2, but got used to it long ago. Don't think that'll be the route they'll take though.

-Chanchai

8. Hayai_JiJi

Well the dodge button is gone that has already been decided correct. I always thought VF could of used a jump button but that is not going to happen. So I guess we will just have to wait and see.

9. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    however it works, I hope it's really inspired, because I thought the e button worked very well by separating movement commands fron attack commands.

I really don't want to have to tap f,f to dash forward.

I have a feeling that it will work similar to the dodges in vf2 for shun and lion: a very quick tap gets a dash/escape; holding it will get a guard. maybe holding the lever after the escape allows for free movement? who knows.

early reports indicate much parrying (from ign), which also confirms an idea many people have suspected: guarding wil be toned down in favor of parrying/dodging ala Shen Mue.

So long E-button...

spotlight

10. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

I'm working hard, and I'm getting paid to work hard ;)

I'm really going to miss the 'E' button. But, what can you do? The video is quite impressive, I still think Akira looks like a dork though.

Do you think they'll go back to the df,G system that they had in VF2? Dodging punches would go back to G,P, etc. I always had a 'helluva' time doing Lion's d+P+E swipe in VF2--I always screwed up the G,df+P motion.

hmmph,
    kbcat

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

If AM2 decides to go with the 3 button system I really hope they experiment with the stick and the G button. I.e. perhaps commands involving the motions of the stick and the G button to execute specific types of 3D movement (similar to Tekken's waves and crouch dashes).

ice-9

12. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I hope you can double tap the diagonals to quickly dash diagonaly

<hr></blockquote>

No no no no no no no - I sure as hell hope not. Bye bye crouch dashing with df,DF if that's the case. The game will be vastly different without 'modified' moves, imo.

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

13. Hayai_JiJi

Well you would just cd with a different method like f,f,D or something but you could dash in eight directions. It would bring a lot of footwork with an emphasis on movement and defense just imagine the depth.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

tekkens cd'ing and evading system sucks I think, although we can do some fnacy movement, basically dd, cd, dd, cd, dd, give you a korean step looking movement, or was it dd, fireball, dd, fireball

then there was dd, uu, dd, uu, while kinda moving forward in between....man I remrmber that
    but it was no good, the e button is much more logical...

it doesnt screw with inputting other commands...(that involve directtions)heheh

CrewNYC

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Eing becomes Parrying

there are simple rings so i think they are just going to try to downplay Eing.
    to make it simpler.
    i dont like D/F + G.
    maybe d,d or d,u (hate d,u.)
    on the snow level they never sidestepped once, probly would have shown it.
    if they were going to make 8way run or just plain old Eing more important, they would have made the rings more complex.
    they seem to have taken out variable height too.

maybe parrying will replace Eing.
    id prefer that, seems more natural/realistic too. how often do you see people sidestep such quick moves.

on graphics. it looks fricken incredible. were the pics from the ps2 version?
    the clothes move, thats nice, but i bet they put in a lot of work/rendering power into it and id prefer they spent those reasources on better physics, more complex levels/leaving in variable ground (what the hell/i bet they took it out cuz it made it all too complex and they were building from the ground up.)
    i think they worked a lot on clothing because the new monk style involves preventing clothing grabs, as nascarbryant pointed out.
    but anyway, im still really gonna like this.
    i hope i have money for the arcade... uh. i dont. shit. lol.

i dont miss Eing if we get parrying.
    and i have no probs if they can make everything easier for everyone to get into.

i think they showed dural for a sec, put his head up like catwoman at the end of batman returns.

16. GodEater

Re: Eing becomes Parrying

I hope you are wrong.

Dodging is a necessary part of complete gameplay
    now. Playing against Shroud and Llan on thursday
    I was able to get ring outs simply by controlling
    stage space through E'ing after I'd knocked them
    down. Where would a parry find equivilancy in this
    situation?

Go to a couple of good tournaments and you'll
    see people sidestep attacks all the time. I'm
    serious. If you approach real fighting on a linear
    plane you are screwed against an opponent who
    understands the value of movement.

GE

17. Guest

Guest Guest

18. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Well, also keep in mind that Tobal 1 and Tobal 2 had a system of freely moving around. I thought they were great games, but I still want VF to be VF. Anyways, I never played Tobal 2 in and out so I'll leave someone else to comment on that game's system as far as movement goes. Great game though!

-Chanchai

19. Guest

Guest Guest

About SC Stepping (2G2G2G etc etc)
    Hey Chanchai, that's calling "stepping" and it's used quite proficiently among high level SC players...The trick is to scrape G like you were doing Akira's knee...that way you get a bigger step (less contact time with G equals more time to hit 2 and start the process again)...it begins to look like a teleport.
    If you're interested I can copy some VHS footage of a player name "Bluehand" using it quite effectively...and yea it can go around attacks if you time it right...but it's generally not used to side step quick A's or B's...it can go around anti side step moves like Astaroth's 8wr 1/2A+B or Xiang's 66A.
    Err. Apologies for the deviation of subject.

-sa.

20. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

bluehand eh.... that new york guy?

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>