1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

HOWTO: Mod VSHG single switch PS3 / X360

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by KoD, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Tetsuosan

Tetsuosan New Member

Nothing will happen to the psx pcb. Anytime you use a converter with a psx pcb the converter will power the pcb to whatever the console's pad ports are. For example if you plug in a Dreamcast converter to your psx pcb then your psx pcb will get the 5v that the dreamcast outputs. Nothing will happen to it as I already spoke to toodles about it on SRK.

2. urth

urth New Member

I went to Radioshack the other day and asked for the headset extension, but they said they don't exist... Any one know the inventory number so i can just give that to them to find it for me? Or a link to it on the radioshack site? Thats the only item left that I need to finish this mod.

3. 001

001 Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

43-2003 or 430-2003

they don't show online but you can call and have them enter that number to see if they have it in stock in store. they are usually found in their home telephone section.

i think it's a discontinued product.

4. godspu

godspu Member

5. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    the second link ( the madcatz arcade stick) is what most people are using.

It is a common ground pad. I would still put resistors on the thumbsticks though, even if you just rip the top off and leave the thumbsticks in. We were having some issues with adamyuki's stick in socal until we did that.

6. godspu

godspu Member

awesome, thanks for the help

i didn't quite get where the resistors are installed on the sticks though

7. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    There are two axes on each thumbstick (x axis and y axis).
    Each axis is controlled by a potentiometer.
    Each potentiometer has 3 pins: 1 for the wiper contact, 2 for the fixed contacts.
    You want to solder a resistor between one fixed contact and the wiper, and another (identical) resistor between the other fixed contact and the wiper. This fixes the potentiometer in the middle of its range, which is what you want (neutral joystick position).
    In almost all potentiometers, the middle pin is for the wiper.

So long story short, look for sets of three pins, coming off the thumbstick. There should be 2 sets of pins at 90 degree angle to each other, three pins per set. solder resistors as so:

|---------|--------|
    |resistor|resistor|

on each set, so thats 4 resistors per thumbstick.

8. godspu

godspu Member

got it. thank you so much

9. Nobiru

Nobiru Member

Im lookin at doing this, but i need some pictures of the solder points on the stick and 360 pad... and even the switch. There is some great write ups, but you know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words :p

10. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Theres a picture of the solder points on the pad I used linked from the first post. If you're using a different pad, I obviously cant' take a picture of the solder points on your pad for you - search the padhacking thread on SRK if you don't know how to use a multimeter.

As for the solder points on the VSHG pcb . . . they are individually labeled on the board, and the pcb is only maybe 1 inch across; this is a case where a list really is better than a picture, believe me.

11. godspu

godspu Member

ok i feel like a moron here because this seems simple enough...

i have a stick modded with a ps1 dualshock (that worked perfectly by itself) that i added a 360 madcatz joystick board to. as far as i understand, if they're both common ground, all i have to do is jump the ground from the 360 pcb to anywhere in the existing ground circuit and run a new lead from the 360 pcb to all the buttons/directions, right?

it's all messed up, getting shorts with only one input connected to both boards(and it's definitely not my soldering), anyone know what i'm missing here?

12. 001

001 Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

connect the +5v from each pcb to eachother and don't plug both console plugs at the same time.

13. godspu

godspu Member

haven't had them both plugged in lol, but i didn't jump the +5, will try that tyvm

14. godspu

godspu Member

ok, so jumped the motor +'s, plugged it back into the ps2 and everything still works fine. on the 360 however, all i hooked up so far is x, a, and guide(which has no relevance to the ps2 except for the common ground.) x and a don't work at all and guide shorts to x+guide. just triple checked the connections on all the 360 inputs with a multimeter and they're definitely leads, not grounds (first thought was that i reverse wired guide)

360 pcb still works fine when i isolate it from the ps1, ps1 works fine no matter what.

still lost, any other suggestions please?

guess i'll double check the +5v on the motor connections, just assumed they're both power

15. godspu

godspu Member

*nevermind, i'm a dumbass- the power was hooked up wrong- everything's working good now. thanks for the help

16. Nobiru

Nobiru Member

never mind ! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

17. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    updated first post to link to someone's diagram of the solder points on madcatz arcade stick.

18. Nobiru

Nobiru Member

im having trouble fitting the Madcatz PCB into the casing, any tips?

19. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    make sure to cut as much of the thumbsticks off as possible, put it underneath the 6 button area, may have to bend some quick disconnects.

20. Nobiru

Nobiru Member

awesome thanks for the quick reply, is there a certain way i should bend the button connects without breaking them?