1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

HOWTO: Mod VSHG single switch PS3 / X360

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by KoD, Nov 6, 2007.

1. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    not to be rude, but have you actually read this thread? There's a diagram for the madcatz stick linked from the first post.

2. akish1982

akish1982 New Member

could this also be resolved by removing the solder from the pins on the back and taking the potentometers completely off? If not, which resistors do you use? Thanks!

3. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    You can take the potentiometers completely off (for example, if you need extra space), but you still need resistors. Otherwise those inputs will just be floating, and you'll get random thumbstick inputs due to electrical noise.

Exact resistance doesnt matter as long as the resistors are identical; you probably dont want to use something too low or too high because that will increase the chance the resistance isnt the same. I used 10kohm.

4. akish1982

akish1982 New Member

Thanks! So I can remove them, but I still need to do the resistors like you mentioned in the previous post in to the empty holes?

o1
    | >(resistor)
    o2
    | >(resistor)
    o3

Solder hole 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 4 total used for each potentiometer's 6 holes?

5. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Yes, 2 for each axis, 2 axes per thumbstick = 4 total per thumbstick.

6. akish1982

akish1982 New Member

Thank you! Now that I have that all clear maybe yu can answer the last couple questions I have regarding this PCB. I guess I should note I'll be using it for a HRAP and not a VSHG so I'd like to have all 8 buttons (trigger buttons) functional as well.
    http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb...0_diagram2.jpg

-Do I solder individual wires from the blue circles to the correct button/direction?

-What do I do with the 3 red ground circles?

-My pad doesn't have the red and black wires on the back running across the back of the PCB. What is this doing?

Sorry for being so dense with this but I'd hate to make a fatal mistake.

Thanks!

7. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    - I'd like to have all 8 buttons (trigger buttons) functional as well.

Make sure the triggers are stuck in a neutral position before you solder to their connections. Easiest way to do this is to superglue the little dials in the potentiometers of the triggers.

-Do I solder individual wires from the blue circles to the correct button/direction?

Yes.

-What do I do with the 3 red ground circles?

Connect one of them (doesnt matter which one) to a ground point on the hrap pcb (doesnt matter which one)

-My pad doesn't have the red and black wires on the back running across the back of the PCB. What is this doing?

Mine doesn't either. My guess is that it's related to either the rumble or the button in the left analog stick, neither of which matter to you.

8. SemiCharmed

SemiCharmed Member

I'm looking to purchase a VSHG for SF2 HDR on PS3 and GGPO on PC. I've been advised by an owner of 2 VSHGs plus many other sticks and long time SRKer that there is a problem with VSHGs and 3 button simultaneous inputs - vital for spinning lariats, hawk dives etc.

Is there an easy fix for this?

Alternatively, I've done quite a bit of soldering over the last year, so I guess a work around would be to add a PS2 PCB to the board and buy a lagless converter? Is there anything I need to keep in mind? Any advice would be much appreciated.

9. 001

001 Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

10. SemiCharmed

SemiCharmed Member

11. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    I have a VSHG and I do have problems doing 3P's and 3K's in ST on GGPO. At random times it fails to come out. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

That being said, they have given another option to all moves requiring 3P's or 3K's in STHD. These can now be performed by using same punch/kick strength. This shouldn't be a problem with the VSHG.

12. SemiCharmed

SemiCharmed Member

Right I've got myself a VSHG now. However I can't for the life of me execute Dragon Punches or Spinning Pile Drivers in GGPO - I've been trying for about 4 days now. I wonder if this is down to the square gate, as I can consistently DP and SPD using a Hori EX2 on XBox360 - granted the moves are easier to pull off in SF2HD, but also using my Ascii fighting stick on Dreamcast. I wonder if it's got anything to do with the four way gate. Can I simply swap out the four way gate with an eight way gate, or would I have to swap the entire stick out? In addition, I might pimp up my stick and colourise the buttons. Can I simply swap the buttons out, or would I have to swap everything that's attached to the button as well? I hope it's the former as I saw a mod, which involved bending prongs and then taping up the inside metal base to avoid making electrical contact. Apologies for the newbie questions. I've had a look on LizardLick.com and I don't know what I should be looking for in terms of compatibility.

13. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Hori EX2 has square gate too, methinks.

14. SemiCharmed

SemiCharmed Member

You could be right about the HEX2 - I used it for a few days at a couple of tournaments before SFHD was released. I didn't notice the square gate on the VSHG at first either... The VSHG I got was 2nd hand and I've tried to get MAME32 working, so I can test it. I should be getting another 2nd hand VSHG today and will hopefully be able to confirm whether it's an issue with the stick or not.

15. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Not really on topic, but you can swap out the square restrictor with a Sanwa GT-Y Octagonal Restrictor Plate and the buttons with Sanwa OBSF-30 Pushbutton in whatever color you want. Lizardlick sells both of those. You'll need a 7mm nut driver to open the case.

Better option is just to get used to the square gate /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sort-of back on topic, this thread is likely going to be obsolete come february, as the easiest thing to do will be to get an xbox360 version of the madcatz tournament sf4 stick and put one of toodles' cthulhu pcbs in it.

16. SemiCharmed

SemiCharmed Member

Apologies for taking this thread off topic KoD. Thanks for the advice.

Square gate, smare gate! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif If my other VSHG has arrived today, I will be able to confirm whether it's a problem with the stick, or GGPO/me.

I will definitely look at ordering Toodles' Cthulhu PCB, to fix the 3 button input + direction problem, to make it as good as a stick as it should be. I'll need some guidance with it however - but not in this thread, I promise.

17. PineTree

PineTree Well-Known Member

PSN:
    xPINETREEx
    XBL:
    PinesTree
    Exactly!! This is what I'm doing. I already have a VSHG modded to work on 360/PS3, which works great, but a pain in the ass to get all together. I ordered the 360 version of the SF4 tournament stick to have that as well. With toodles' solderless pcb stuff on lizardlick this makes modding the stick to work for both systems easy, and can be done by noobs like me. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Remember get the 360 version if you'd like to do this as it'll be MUCH easier to mod than vice-versa.

So basically I'll have a modded VSHG that works awesome for VF5 and beyond, and a modded SF4 tournament stick that works awesome for SF4. Both being great sticks for any fighting games either way. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

18. Aoimaster

Aoimaster Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how to fix the 3 button input problems the vshg has with other games? Plus, with the vshg are the parts easy to replace like with the SF4 TE stick?

19. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Man I got to remember to check that out on Dark Resurrection. The 3 button input issue has never happened to me on any game with my VSHG, whether it be a game for PS2, MAME, XBOX, PS3, 360 or whatever else i've used it on. Apparently it has issues with T5:DR and some oher games, but i'm really not sure abut this.

20. newgen

newgen New Member

to anyone who's done this with a hrap 3, how did you get the home button to work as the guide button? theres no soldering point except on the pcb, but that's directly connected with the rubber that's supposed to touch the button. i'm thinking of making my select button my guide button but i'd rather have it a perfect set up if i could. thanks.