1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

HOWTO: Mod VSHG single switch PS3 / X360

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by KoD, Nov 6, 2007.

1. quash

quash Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SuperVernier
    XBL:
    GUILTY GAIJIN
    so, just wondering, is it possible to add a ps1 pcb on top of this mod?

2. WaQs

WaQs New Member

Would it be possible to replace the sanwa stick with a LS32-01. The stock panel doesn't have the correct mounts, has anyone tried this or could someone suggest a solution. At the moment I think my only option is to replace the top panel.

3. DarkVincent

DarkVincent Well-Known Member

I have a similar question, would it be possible to replace the sanwa stick with a LS40-01?

4. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

5. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Dennis, that one should be long enough.

It looks like it says 125mm long, which is like 5 inches, VSHG is only 2-3 inches tall total.

6. Dennis0201

Thanks KoD!!
    I was worry about that handle bar is too fat, haha~

I'm lucky that I purchased the buttons during the WCG event but I regreat I bought 3 only....

7. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    The socket on the end may not be deep enough. See if there are deep socket nut drivers.

8. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    The original one said it had a hollow shaft, which means worst case the screw should fit inside the shaft and allow the head to engage with the nut, even if the head isnt that deep.

edit - that being said, if you have a local hardware store, probably easier to just buy one there - try it out in store if need be.

9. Dennis0201

Thank you guys, I'll go to the local store and bring my VSHG to check out. Btw, how often do you guys change the switch? I have used this stick about 2 years and this is my first time to change.

10. Dennis0201

Finally I replace the button and everything works fine now.
    I'm wondering is that possible I can only purchase the switch, not the entire button? Basically the rest part is all plastic and it's just wasting the money.

11. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
  12. Dennis0201

I see, thanks KoD.
    I'm not rush but I'll pay attention next time if I need some of them!! I think I'm going to replace my Hori with all SANWA parts.

13. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    My L1 button recently seems to be permanently "ON", verified in both XBOX360 and PS3 modes. Is this an issue with the switch?

14. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    If you have tools to open the case, easiest way to check is to remove one of the quick disconnects from the button (and tape it or something to make sure it doesn't short against metal somewhere). If that fixes it, the switch is bad & just needs to be replaced.

If the button is still "ON" at that point, either some of my wiring has gotten dislodged, or the 360 pcb has stopped working.

Let me know.

15. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I can open the case fine. But (stupid question time) how do I remove the quick disconnects? It sounds like it shouldn't be any harder than just pulling it off, and since I wasn't sure how much effort I need to apply, I was reluctant to find out [​IMG]

16. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    No, its not a stupid question, the QDs can be a pain in the ass.

Easiest way to do it is to get a really thin flat blade screwdriver, press it into the gap between the QD and the switch, and then twist the blade so that it presses the QD away from the switch.

17. Dennis0201

I really love VSHG, and I can't believe SEGA don't release the Xbox360 version stick.... It always closes its business.....

18. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Hey KoD, I disconnected the button but it was still registering on. Any advice on how to resolve this?

19. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    I can take a look at it, either the next time you're in the US or if you want to ship it back. Don't know how often you play 6 button games, but in the meantime you can just disable that button in config.

Alternatively, if you or someone near you is comfortable troubleshooting it, here's what I'd start with:

- visually inspect the wire running from the ps3 pcb to the 360 pcb L1, make sure it isnt loose or somehow bent so that it shorts across the 2 sides of the contact on the pcb.

- barring that, desolder the L1 wire from the 360 pcb. At that point, the ps3 L1 button should work normally; if not, something else is wrong.

- if the 360 is still reporting the L1 button as down, check continuity using a multimeter across the 2 sides of the contact. If they're connected, use solder wick to remove any solder from the contact, check continuity, repeat as necessary.

- if there's no continuity across the L1 contacts and the 360 still reports the button as down, the pcb is fubar and needs to be replaced. Wouldn't be the first time i've had a 360 controller pcb just stop working.

- if cleaning up the L1 contacts fixes the issue, carefully resoldering the wire (to the non-ground side of the contact) should get it back in working order.

20. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    KoD, do you have a link to an image of the xbox 360 PCB you used for my mod?

One wire has gone loose on CN4:
    pin 1 - red
    pin 2 - white
    pin 3 - green
    pin 4 - black
    pin 5 - black

CN4 is the USB cable interface.

Your mod cuts the white and green wires from pins 2 and 3, and connects them to the switch. Pin 1 still has it's connection to the xbox 360, so it appears as though the loose wire was connected to either pin 4 or 5 (or both? I say both because both solder points look like they've been changed). This wire is coming from the xbox 360 PCB but it's connection is unknown/not obvious to me, and hence my request for a PCB diagram.

Any ideas?